Load Range E Carlisle

BobX2

There seem to be a few fairly knowledgeable tire guys on this forum so I will bring this question here instead of to a tire store where upsales are typically more important than the whole truth. My Sundance XLT has 15", load range D Towmax tires. I'm considering replacing them with a new set of Carlisle Radial Trail RH Radial Trailer Tires. My question is, would it be in my best interest to step up to a load range E? In my mind it would make sense to do so for an added safety margin, but if I'm not ever going to hit the 9,999 lb. GVWR am I really gaining anything by doing this and spending the extra money? With a 6,400 lb. dry weight I am confident I will never be able to overload this trailer with 5,200 lb. axles under it. Seems to me that they would carry the load better and with less heat build up which should equate to longer tire life with less chance of tire failure. Also, with the extra load rating margin, would they hold up better if I happened to exceed 65 mph? Not saying I'm going to, especially since most of the time I will be pulling doubles, but it just seems logical that they would and I'm curious if my thinking is correct about that. Any educated comments on that? I've been reading these ST tire horror stories until I'm about to go cross eyed, and I want to put the right tires under my new rig so I can scratch that off of my things to worry about list. My trailer is brand new, never been slept in and I'm not going to buy 16" wheels for it at this time, so a good LT tire doesn't appear to be an option either. It's enough $$$ just to replace the brand new tires that came on it, which kind of xxxx me off that I even should have to be worried about what they put on them new from the factory. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

BobX2

LR-E yes, Carlisle no !! Towing doubles, 16" wheels and LT LR-E tires.

Again, just to clarify what I posted, I am not buying a set of 16" wheels. Also, maybe if you could have included a good alternative to the Carlisle your post would have contributed a little more. Not trying to be an xxx, but I'm looking for some solid answers to my specific questions. That is why I thought I would ask here first.

Last edited by a moderator:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I have been pondering the same question for awhile now. We have put more miles on this current trailer than any other that we have ever had and we're scheduled for a few thousand more this year. We also have the 15" D rated tires. It seems the selection is very slim when it comes to E rated tires in the 15" size. I too do not want to spend the extra expense in switching to the 16" larger size. Especially when we are planning to upgrade to a larger trailer in 2015. What I have noticed is a lot of the cases of the Towmax tire failure have occurred in the larger heavier trailers with the 16 inch tires (not all cases though). I think if we were doing it over and we were going to upgrade to the new E rated tires, I would look hard at Maxxis. They seem to make a really nice, well rated, E range, in the 15" tire. Good luck in your search. Let us know how you make out.

Rmcgrath53

I Have the new Carlisle tires for a couple years. No bubbles and seems to be just fine. I check the heat every time I stop with no problems. I used to have a Sundance and bought the upgrade to 16 inch wheels. My Sundance was a bit bigger than the one you have.
If you are not planning on upgrading to a bigger rig, and are going on a lot of trips, Then I would change the tires to 16 only if you are going to keep this rig for some time . Otherwise I would leave it the way it is.

Kbvols

I would consider Maxxis. So far I have been satisfied with mine. Discount tire direct usually has good prices. I have seen a lot of negative on the Carlisle but my local dealer swears by them.

dbbls59

My experience with Carlisle tires was 10 years ago and it was not good. However the company did treat me very well. I have heard that the new Carlisle tires are much better than the older ones. The ST tire that seems to get the most positive comments is the Maxxis. If I were buying 15 inch tires I would go with Maxxis.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My trailer is brand new, never been slept in and I'm not going to buy 16" wheels for it at this time, so a good LT tire doesn't appear to be an option either. It's enough $$$ just to replace the brand new tires that came on it, which kind of xxxx me off that I even should have to be worried about what they put on them new from the factory. :mad:

I feel your pain . . .

I fell for the "We don't even skimp on the tires!" from not only the dealership, but from the Heartland brochures as well. :(

We've had our trailer for about a year and a half . . . have done six camp outs and my tires (BlowMax Power King's) barely have 3000 miles on them . . . and that is including the delivery from Elkhart, Indiana to Longmont, Colorado.

They still look like new . . . but I just can't trust them.

But I, too, have read all of the horror stories and plan on replacing them before the next camping season starts (for us, starting Memorial Day for three nights at Cheyenne Mountain, then three nights at the Colorado Heartland Chapter camp out near there at Morningdale RV Park - are you coming to this?).

It seems that the Maxxis tires are the ones that get the most good reviews around here, and I can order them at my regular tire store (Big O on 104th. & Colorado).

Last edited:

tmcran

JMHO. Maxxis, Maxxis and Maxxis. I've had them on two RV'S. Had Maxxis on both. Not one problem and also very good at holding air pressure.

wrgrs50s

I purchased my 2012 rig new in Dec 2011 and within 200 miles I noticed a towmax tire seperating. I got reimbursed for the 1 tire and ate the cost on the rest. I chose Maxxis because I had used them on my previous rig for 5yrs with no issues. I upgraded to the E rated tire over the D just for a little extra piece of mind.

Discount tire had the Carlisles in stock, but I was persistent about ordering the Maxxis tires since they held up so well for me previously.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
X2 on Maxxis, even though ours are 16". Had to make Discount order, they were pushing Carlisles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DW_Gray

I recommend you read this page for some facts about Carlisle tires and others.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/44148-Towmax-by-Power-King-–-Facts

BobX2

Thanks all for your input so far. I'm really up in the air with the whole Carlisle vs Maxxis thing. I ran Carlisle on my toy hauler TT for the five years I owned it, which means it had the "old" design tires. Got four years out of them before they all four had tread separation issues. Not sure it was all the tires fault. Probably running max load, if not possibly a little over, on twisty mountain roads with many rough dirt and rocky roads thrown in for good measure. Lots of tight turns and maneuvering as well. Only had the "new" Carlisle's on for a year so I can't really make any real world comparisons there. There are so many more Carlisle tires on the road than there are Maxxis tires, there are bound to be more reports of failures just due to the larger volume on the road. So far I haven't really read anything that justifies the extra $50 per tire for the Maxxis. Still trying to figure out if there will be any durability advantage for me by going to the LR-E. Guess I need to check and see if my wheels are rated for the higher PSI as well. Load range E tires at load range D pressures wouldn't gain me anything, I don't imagine.

Gary521

Bob, my guess is that you are overthinking this load range stuff. The best thing is to get the "brand" and type of tires that will last. Unless you like playing Russian Roulette, get the Towmax off your rig. Not maybe someday - now! Go with what these folks are recommending.

BobX2

Got a set of Carlisle LR E tires installed this weekend. Couldn't justify the extra $200 it would have cost to go with Maxxis. Just haven't seen where they are really a better tire. Had Carlisle on my toy hauler and they seemed to do fine. Got four years out of them, and they were the "old" Carlisles. Maybe when it is time to replace these I will jump up to 16" with LT tires.

Gaffer

Again, just to clarify what I posted, I am not buying a set of 16" wheels. Also, maybe if you could have included a good alternative to the Carlisle your post would have contributed a little more. Not trying to be an xxx, but I'm looking for some solid answers to my specific questions. That is why I thought I would ask here first.
Here are the spec's for the Maxxis tires http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-122-129-st-radial-m8008#sizes If you are going to the E (10 ply) from the D (8 ply) just make sure your rims are rated for 80 psi.

BobX2

Here are the spec's for the Maxxis tires http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-122-129-st-radial-m8008#sizes If you are going to the E (10 ply) from the D (8 ply) just make sure your rims are rated for 80 psi.

Thanks. I have read probably every review and every tire spec available. It was between Maxxis and Carlisle. My rims did check out for 80 psi rating, so I bought the Carlisle load range E tires. The tires now have a 1,320 lb. higher load capacity than what my trailer is rated for. They will never be overloaded and the trailer will have the extra lateral stability provided by the higher psi in the tires. Not only are they $200 cheaper for a set of four, you can get a replacement anytime at most any Discount Tire store, should the need arise. Had good luck with Carlisle tires before, and they are supposed to be an even better tire now.