Long Bed or Short Bed Dually ?

kimsells

We are new owners of the Landmark Newport and are in the market for a truck to pull it. I'm confident that a dually is the way to go because of the weight, but when it comes to finding 8 ft. truck beds, they're not as plentiful as the 6'4 bed.
Does anyone pull a 42 ft. Landmark with a short bed with no issues ?
Thank you.

danemayer

Hi kimsells,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Are any of the short beds you've seen duallies? I thought duallies were all 8' beds. But who knows?

I'd suggest you stick with the long bed for stability.

PondSkum

I'm pulling my 38ft RW with a Ram Mega Cab Dually. It's definitely shorter than all the other truck short beds, and it will hit the cab (ask how I know), if you don't have a slider hitch and turn too sharp. I have a slider hitch, but was too lazy to use it and bumped the cab in a REALLY tight culdesac maneuver...

I don't know that I've seen a Crew Cab Ram dually with a short bed. Only the SRW trucks have short beds that I know of.

ramdually4100king

I pulled my 43’ cyclone with my Ram dually mega cab 6’3” bed and a sliding hitch. I only needed the hitch a couple of times but it’s better than hitting the cab.

I’ve upgraded to a Ram crewcab with an 8’ flatbed, of course a dually.

I had a Ram 2500 srw with a short bed and towed with that until we bought the cyclone. The srw was defiantly unstable with the 5000 pounds on the hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you ever want to add an auxiliary fuel tank or if you want to carry some extra stuff in the bed of your truck you will appreciate the extra two feet of bed space.
I carry a bunch of extra stuff in the bed and I have an aux tank. I've had a short bed, 6' with the tank and extra stuff, and a long bed 8', aux tank and stuff and I will never go back to a short bed.
Just some food for thought.

Peace
Dave

Mike-n-Justina

I do not have a slider hitch and I have a transflo fuel tank/toolbox combo in my bed. The tank sits at top of my bed rails.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
If you're interested in a new MegaCab truck with a long bed, HERE is a company that will convert one for you. Be advised that this thing is loooong!

Alan_B

We have a SRW short bed (6 3/4) truck. If I were getting a new truck, the SRW is fine for me but I would get a long box truck.

The fifth wheel doesn't hit the truck cab but it comes close so it is s always a bit of a concern. Plus a long box would give me more room for stuff :)

NYSUPstater

Few years back, Ford did offer a 350 SB dually. Did away w/ that option darn it. I've had short boxes since '97 and absolutely loved them. Started off w/a slider when we 1st got into RVing in '03, used it like 3x in 5 years. Sold it. No problems w/ turning, but had to be in mindset of proximity of RV to truck. Always said if I'm that close, put truck in "D". Now have a dually long box. Biggest thing I've found thus far, need 40 acres to turn this rig around....just like the song.