long trailer length regrets?

Eric1234

Hi everyone

I am trying to do research about getting a new trailer for my family, we are considering a toy hauler so my daughter can bring friends easier, we can bring bikes, dog etc. My question is about going big length wise , I would like to get a 44' fifth wheel, has anyone gotten a large trailer like this and regretted it? we have a 35' now, would an extra 9' make that big of a difference?

thank you for your time

Eric

CDN

B and B
Hello Eric,

We went from 32 ft to a 39 ft 10 inch Bighorn and pick up a 37 ft 10 inch Landmark Louisville tomorrow. We camp in provincial parks in the forest. Will 7 feet make a difference, Yes in our case. Now going down 2 won't make that much of a difference but now some higher sites are more manageable.

In your case sounds like the extra room might work, If 44 ft is too much maybe a mid bunk model.

Brian

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You have to consider the places that you typically visit or plan to visit.
Do they sites have spaces to accommodate the new length? And how easy to access to those longer sites?

I have towed my nearly 40' north trail (not 5th wheel) and my dad's big tow hauler that was a fifth wheel and as far as towing the total combined rig length was only a few feet. Both towed about the same but had different pivot points.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We have a 43' (42'9") Landmark. Two things to consider. What type of camping do you like to do. We are pretty much excluded from State Parks and National Parks because of our length. Those that have longer sites, book up very quickly. So I basically do not look at those parks when trying to make reservations. And yes, with that kind of length, you need to make reservations to ensure you have a spot that will accomodate your length. That said, I have never had a problem finding a campground in the area we want to stay that can accomodate us. Sometimes I may have to look at 2 or 3 different campgrounds, but usually find what I need without much trouble.

The second thing you have to consider is turning radius. Remember you have a big honker back there. You need to pull into the intersection a little further before starting your turn to make sure the trailer does not run up over the curb or worse yet, run into something. If you just keep that in mind when turning, you should be good. It takes a effort, but for us, it well worth it because what we have once we get set up. It's not for everyone, but if it's what you want, go for it!

Dmetcalf

I just recently went from a 40 ft. to a 44ft. so the driving dynamics are very similar. Yes, the state & nat’l. camp grounds are out but it is (for us) well worth it to have the room and comforts that come with a rig this big. Yes, you do need to take special precautions when maneuvering it but you learn “quickly “ and adapt to it. It’s an individual choice at the end of the day. Let us know what you ended up doing..!

My progression started back in 2011 with a 16', then 2015 a 37' and now 2019 a 40'. No regrets at all just in the parks like others said you have to plan ahead and accept what they can or can't accommodate.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We sit right at 44 ft. No regrets so far. The extra length does make a difference but not much. The NP system is out for us but then again it was never in even when we had our 26 ft TT. We have been in a few campgrounds across the country that are not well suited for our length. You just need to be more aware of your route in and out.

david-steph2018

Hi everyone

I am trying to do research about getting a new trailer for my family, we are considering a toy hauler so my daughter can bring friends easier, we can bring bikes, dog etc. My question is about going big length wise , I would like to get a 44' fifth wheel, has anyone gotten a large trailer like this and regretted it? we have a 35' now, would an extra 9' make that big of a difference?

thank you for your time

Eric

We have a 2018 Road Warrior 427 which is around 45 foot. We have a side patio and the rear deck so we try to find a site which can handle both decks. Any regrets from us, no. You just need to accept that some parks can not handle you or some sites will not be right for you. One issue we have had is at one park (KOA) the exit road went around the park and I did not like the trees lining the road. So to solve my issues I backed out of the site we were in to leave when it was time. It reminded me kind of like the movie "RV", people standing watching. No issues, no problems.
What are you going to use as a tow vehicle? If you get a large unit similar to our unit you will need, my opinion only, a dually.

Eric1234

Good evening

thank you for the advice of everyone who took the time to respond. We are approximately about 2 years out from replacement of our landmark. I am laying the ground work for an informed decision when we purchase. At this time we’ll go with a toyhauler for the versatility. Our tow vehicle is an F450, I feel confident in whatever heartland we purchase it will be within the specs on the truck so the tail won’t wag the dog.

Safe travels

Eric

Last edited: