Looking into Buying a 2017 Heartland Mallard m245

Hey everyone I am new to the site but not new to RV'ing but always looking for feedback and knowledge. I am looking into selling my current "smaller" unit and upgrading to the 2017 Heartland Mallard m245. Any thoughts or advice on this unit? Thanks in advance!

danemayer

Hi Sharkhunter,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've had quite a few Mallard owners join the forum over the past year, so I expect you'll get some feedback shortly.

Gaffer

Many folks have less than positive things to say about CW. Keep in mind that you do not have to use them for warranty. And always do a through PDI before signing anything no matter where you buy your next RV.

HiggySTL

2017 Heartland Mallard m245. Any thoughts or advice on this unit?

We are currently looking to buy the exact same camper. I joined this site after reading through it and seeing how friendly this forum community seemed.

If anyone has any information on the M245 it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

treid85

We are currently looking to buy the exact same camper. I joined this site after reading through it and seeing how friendly this forum community seemed.

If anyone has any information on the M245 it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Just recently bought the 2017 M245. This weekend will be the maiden voyage so I can update after that but it seems like it is an awesome unit. In the mean time I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Only thing we found so far that wasn't to satisfaction had to do with the outdoor kitchen stove. It looks like from an engineering standpoint they didnt allow quite enough room for the top cover to open far enough to easily swing the arm rests out (you have to bend them slightly over the control knobs). The dealership said that the inset for the stove is cut via a computer aided unit so they are all likely to be that way. He said going forward there will not be a top cover, so maybe with the 2018s the issue is resolved. Other than that I love the floor plan, amenities and storage! It's also fairly lightweight so that's a plus. Like I said let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you. Also note that CW matched the lowest listed price from any dealership nationally so we feel like we got a great deal on it.

danemayer

Just recently bought the 2017 M245. This weekend will be the maiden voyage so I can update after that but it seems like it is an awesome unit. In the mean time I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Only thing we found so far that wasn't to satisfaction had to do with the outdoor kitchen stove. It looks like from an engineering standpoint they didnt allow quite enough room for the top cover to open far enough to easily swing the arm rests out (you have to bend them slightly over the control knobs). The dealership said that the inset for the stove is cut via a computer aided unit so they are all likely to be that way. He said going forward there will not be a top cover, so maybe with the 2018s the issue is resolved. Other than that I love the floor plan, amenities and storage! It's also fairly lightweight so that's a plus. Like I said let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you. Also note that CW matched the lowest listed price from any dealership nationally so we feel like we got a great deal on it.
Hi treid85,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for joining the discussion.

Srtowens

We just bought a Mallard 312 and have gone on three trips. We experienced a small water leak on our first trip and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The water pump was also making a huge noise with very low flow. We took it in to Camping World, expecting that they'd have our trailer forever, but guess what? They fixed the leak and replaced the water pump in two days! Just wanted to put in a good word for them, as we were very impressed.

I'm driving 200 miles today to go pick one up. I couldn't find anything else at this price point that had the features and floor layout I wanted.
Hopefully I don't get there and hate it in person! It's a long drive for nothing.

Some of the things i liked...
Actual Wall dividing the main bedroom from the rest of the trailer. Most are partial walls & curtains
Spin around TV mount - Found this unique at this price point. Most are mounted facing opposite the bedroom or mounted to the kitchen wall...
U Shaped Dining Table, should make playing cards when it rains easier for a family of 5
1 Slide Out
Plenty of storage
Fully insulated 4 seasons trailer
Outdoor kitchen
Interior that doesn't look like it's from the 60s

Can't wait!

jimtoo

Hi techtravis,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and do a complete PDI when you get there. Slow and make sure everything works.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

RossRagan

Re: Looking into Buying a 2018 Heartland Mallard m245

So...I don't know if this forum follows the protocol of resurrecting old threads and updating with new information or starting a new Thread, so I chose to try this route first. I am looking to purchase a 2018 M245 and I am hoping that some of the folks who were purchasing the 2017 model last year can speak to their experiences over the past year. Of course, feedback from any owners of previous years' models would be more than welcome as it would reflect the performance as the unit ages.

So far so good with my M245. No issues as of yet.

Rides well, no warranty issues so far. We camped in it for a total of 5 weeks last year and drove about 1000+ miles total.
I had the outside outlets breaker flip and it took a while to figure out the reset was on the bathroom outlet.

jhall0004

I too have just purchased a 2018 M245 from camping world and look forward to reading responses from owners of this model. I picked it up last Thursday night and it is now sitting in storage waiting for this crazy Indiana weather to pass. I can say that my dealings with Camping World were less than stellar but not bad enough to be a deal breaker.

Love the lay out of of the M245 and me and my family are excited to take it on its maiden voyage soon!

jimtoo

I too have just purchased a 2018 M245 from camping world and look forward to reading responses from owners of this model. I picked it up last Thursday night and it is now sitting in storage waiting for this crazy Indiana weather to pass. I can say that my dealings with Camping World were less than stellar but not bad enough to be a deal breaker.

Love the lay out of of the M245 and me and my family are excited to take it on its maiden voyage soon!

Hi jhall0004,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

RossRagan

Jhall...I am to pick mine up next Wednesday and was wondering what the Camping World walk-through consisted of. I printed out the walk-through checklist that is posted on this Forum and was thinking about using it but it said 4 hours were required. Did you hook up to shore power and water to test out the plumbing fixtures and electrical on both AC and battery? Did you go up on the roof to check out sealer around roof fixtures?

Any insight or "watch-out-for's" would be appreciated.