Looking like Disk Brakes

kab449

055A1322-613D-4BAB-8202-BF067253549C.jpgGetting ready for inspection and discovered this. Only on the drivers side front brake. Looks like the self adjusting mechanism failed. Lining cracked and metal brake shoe against the drum. Didn’t turn out to well.
6640D0F0-68F6-4A4C-869D-3D2A253E58E0.jpg
I ordered the kit from Etrailer and will self quarantine in my garage until it’s done.

sengli

Good thing you looked. Did you just discover this, as a routine maintenance event or were there signs of an issue? Disc brake from etrailer?

kab449

Good thing you looked. Did you just discover this, as a routine maintenance event or were there signs of an issue? Disc brake from etrailer?

I noticed the last trip I had to increase the setting on the brake controller to stop as I was used to. I lost 25% of my braking power when the lining cracked and the metal to metal started. Of course I couldn't hear it when braking as the wheel is pretty far back. In Pennsylvania we have yearly inspection and I was looking at them for that and to clean out the drums. I have it over 3 years now.

Flick

kab449;636023 ready for inspection and discovered this. Only on the drivers side front brake. Looks like the self adjusting mechanism failed. Lining cracked and metal brake shoe against the drum. Didn’t turn out to well. I ordered the kit from Etrailer and will self quarantine in my garage until it’s done.[/QUOTE said:
Disc brakes are something I do plan to install down the road. However, we just returned home from a 3 week trip to Utah, Colorado and New Mexico and we used our new truck for the first time in that terrain. I was simply amazed at the stopping power while towing in Tow Haul mode and the 4:10 rear axle. Coming down steep grades allowed me to almost have to add more speed because it was slowing it down to much. In TH mode, when you apply the brake, the stop/slow down power was awesome.
This was in comparison to my previous 2013 Ford dually with a 3:55 where you were white knuckled all the time, even in TH mode.
So for now, disc brakes are on hold.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I seldom use my disc brakes in hilly terrain. I too let my truck do the work. But they sure do come in handy in stop and go traffic among the idiots out there.
Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

I seldom use my disc brakes in hilly terrain. I too let my truck do the work. But they sure do come in handy in stop and go traffic among the idiots out there.
Just saying

Definitely agree. Bad feeling when that light turns red right in front of you.

LBR

Definitely agree. Bad feeling when that light turns red right in front of you.
That is usually my greatest concern....the dreaded 45 mph, 4 way intersections coming into/leaving towns. The light is green, but cars are waiting at the cross road.....waiting....waiting...will it, or will it not?

"Well, do you feel lucky, punk?"...

Flick

That is usually my greatest concern....the dreaded 45 mph, 4 way intersections coming into/leaving towns. The light is green, but cars are waiting at the cross road.....waiting....waiting...will it, or will it not?

"Well, do you feel lucky, punk?"...

Holy cow, your explanation is almost like I’m in your back seat. Like having that crazy Allstate guy egging you on to run the light instead of trying to stop.

kab449

Just saying

My Ford Diesel has an excellent exhaust brake that controls the rig very well.
What I always hated was the lag in trailer brake activation and the constant adjustment of the controller depending on slow speed, Highway speed, wet roads, etc.
I'm hoping the OE Controller in the Ford, which has a setting for electric/hydraulic does a better job of managing this in conjunction with the faster application by the high pressure fluid pump to the calipers.
Any experience with this from anyone?

Gary521

With electric over hydraulic brakes, there is a split second delay in the application of the hydraulic disk brakes. It almost unnoticeable but it there, It takes this to start the pump to build pressure for the brakes. Some brands of brake actuators are faster than others.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That lag is unnoticeable when you’re in that “Oh, s@%t!!” moment

kab449

With electric over hydraulic brakes, there is a split second delay in the application of the hydraulic disk brakes. It almost unnoticeable but it there, It takes this to start the pump to build pressure for the brakes. Some brands of brake actuators are faster than others.

Is the application variable? Meaning the harder you press the truck brake pedal, the harder the trailer brakes apply. Put another way: Does the truck and trailer stop more as a unit rather then as the electric trailer brake magnet grabs the drum and the lever applies the brakes the trailer pulls hard on the truck.

Dennyha

Is the application variable? Meaning the harder you press the truck brake pedal, the harder the trailer brakes apply. Put another way: Does the truck and trailer stop more as a unit rather then as the electric trailer brake magnet grabs the drum and the lever applies the brakes the trailer pulls hard on the truck.
Yes. With disc brakes, the harder you hit the pedal, the faster the brakes stop the camper.

I love my disc brakes. I’m still amazed at how well they work.

jnbhobe

I used 1/4 inch lines on mine when I installed the disc brakes, that helped take most of the lag out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

kab449

Another question for anyone who has disk brakes: Where did you have the reservoir and pump installed in your fifth wheel? I added a lot of battery in my front basement so I'm looking for an alternative location.

kab449

Yes. With disc brakes, the harder you hit the pedal, the faster the brakes stop the camper.

I love my disc brakes. I’m still amazed at how well they work.

Thanks for the reply. I put up with the electric brakes for 3 years because I wanted to get the most use from the brakes that came with the fifth wheel. All the time I thought to myself, there has to be a better way. I have it all torn apart waiting for the parts to come in.
IMG_0035.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I used 1/4 inch lines on mine when I installed the disc brakes, that helped take most of the lag out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm getting the Hydrastar kit from Etrailer and the lines are 1/4".
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Hydrastar/HSE7K-T1.html

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Another question for anyone who has disk brakes: Where did you have the reservoir and pump installed in your fifth wheel? I added a lot of battery in my front basement so I'm looking for an alternative location.

Mine is in one of my propane bottle compartments.