Loose Lug Nuts on Truck - again.....

MTPockets

Just had oil change, DEF fill, and tires rotated on my TV. I always re-check the nut torque on occasion of my 5th wheel tires, pin box nuts, axle hanger nuts, and usually find some nuts below the required torque.

After the wheels were cooled down on my truck, I checked the torque and found every lug nut well below what the manual suggests. 32 nuts later, properly torqued, I'm happy again. Lesson learned - always check your wheel nut torque - even if the mechanic is supposed to do it. It may avoid other problems with tires, wheels, handling, etc...... The manuals tell you to do this and it's good advice....

Do you do it too?

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Re: Loose Nuts - again.....

I do. Every time a wheel is removed and re-installed I check the lugs after 25 miles, 100 miles and again at about 500 miles.

When I was a kid I bought some aluminum wheels and tires for my first brand new truck a 1978 Ford F-150 step side 4wd (Black of coarse). I was so proud my Hat barley fit and the buttons on my shirt were about to pop. A few miles after leaving the tire shop I saw these shinny objects fly by....pulled over and was missing 3 of the 5 lugs. Been checking ever since.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

I am blessed with "Obsessive Compulsive ORDER", so I check my lug nut torque and air pressure every morning when on the road. If a wheel is taken off then I check at 50 miles and then again every 100 miles until I get to 500 miles, then as I said... every morning.

brianharrison

What is the proper torque for G Rated Tires and Wheels?

Proper torque is a function of size of stud and type of wheel installed (steel or aluminum), not tire rating.

Lug SizeFT/LBS Torque
1/2"90-120
9/16"120-140
5/8"140-160

Here is a similar thread. Link

danemayer

After oil change and tire rotation at the GMC dealer, I always check the lugnuts when I get home, about 7 miles. They torque them way less than the manual calls for. Every time.