Loose water heater element wire

AG4SM

Just brought home our brand new Pioneer BH322 Saturday and tested it that night. I filled the water heater and turned on the electric element to heat water. Our old trailer had a gas only heater, so having electric and gas is a nice upgrade. Anyway, after a minute, I started smelling plastic burning. I thought, "new trailer, it will clear in a minute." But it did not. I noticed a bit of smoke wafting from the heater vent outside and the plastic cover over the electric element was extremely hot. I switched off the AC and ran on LP.

Sunday morning, I investigated. I removed the cover and the hot (black) lead came off with the cover as the insulation was melted to the plastic cover (which had also begun to melt). The hot screw on the element was loose and also the neutral wire screw was loose.

**** suburban! I am so ******! Now I am going to have to run on LP during our trip next week until we can get the water heater looked at. When I buy brand new, I expect everything to be in top notch shape. Why is that too much to ask for in the RV industry???

danemayer

Hi AG4SM,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It's pretty surprising that Suburban would leave those connections loose. So surprising that I'd suspect a different cause. If the empty water heater was turned on (120V) while on the dealer lot, and the element burned out, you might be looking at an incomplete dealer repair.

SLO

I would not suspect Suburban either. Having installed over a 1000 water heaters, manufactures make very few mistakes like that. Turning on electric with water heater empty would fry the element in less than a second and it would loose continuity. It shouldn’t then heat up and melt the plastic. Loose connections seem the likely cause. My guess. Dealer robbed Peter (your trailer) to pay Paul (someone else’s trailer) and when they installed new element your trailer ( most likely robbed from another trailer) they didn’t tighten connections. My suggestion is repair wires, buy and install new element all on your time. It’s less frustrating to just get past it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you turned the element on with no water in the tank, it’s probably not damaged. Fix the wires, turn it on (water in tank) and see if it works. If not, then replace the element. It’s not a difficult repair, but you will need to remove the burner tube to get at it and have the simple wrench for removing the element. The wrench should be available at any big box store for about $10. Looks like a big socket with a short rod to turn it. You can find the instructions on a YouTube video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickL

Unless you turned the element on with no water in the tank, it’s probably not damaged. Fix the wires, turn it on (water in tank) and see if it works. If not, then replace the element. It’s not a difficult repair, but you will need to remove the burner tube to get at it and have the simple wrench for removing the element. The wrench should be available at any big box store for about $10. Looks like a big socket with a short rod to turn it. You can find the instructions on a YouTube video.

The newer Suburban’s don’t need to have the burner tube removed. I have a 18 and just replaced my element. It was super easy, drain the tank, use the specialized socket and go. As what has been stated, fill the tank PRIOR to turning on the element.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The newer Suburban’s don’t need to have the burner tube removed. I have a 18 and just replaced my element. It was super easy, drain the tank, use the specialized socket and go. As what has been stated, fill the tank PRIOR to turning on the element.

Cool! On a side note, when I pulled my element out after 10 seasons, it was coated with mineral deposits to where it was not heating the water. Put a new one in but soaked the old one in white vinegar for a few days. Passed conductance and looked good as new. Unfortunately, I no longer have a use for it.