Loud buzzing from the Automatic Transfer Switch.

Ann&Ted

I have had a loud buzzing noise inside my Landmark for some time now. After searching around and removing the panels in the cargo department, I found the source being the main shore power transfer switch (Surge Guard RV Power Protection Transfer Switch, Model 41260). Has anyone else experience this issue?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have had a loud buzzing noise inside my Landmark for some time now. After searching around and removing the panels in the cargo department, I found the source being the main shore power transfer switch (Surge Guard RV Power Protection Transfer Switch, Model 41260). Has anyone else experience this issue?

Yes, You might try - Unplug RV from shore power, remove the 2 small screws from the lid and open it up. then tighten up all of the jam-screws holding in all of the wires. tighten the heck out of them. If you still have the buzzing you'll need to call Heartland and they will send you a new one to swap out.

Hope this helps
Jerrod

I will attach a picture of inside the box in a sec

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes, You might try - Unplug RV from shore power, remove the 2 small screws from the lid and open it up. then tighten up all of the jam-screws holding in all of the wires. tighten the heck out of them. If you still have the buzzing you'll need to call Heartland and they will send you a new one to swap out.

Hope this helps
Jerrod

I will attach a picture of inside the box in a sec
Here's the picture
b902d09d3ce32e8fad82c222fb0deed3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ann&Ted

Thank you Jerrod, I will try that. Funny thing, I have almost the same picture that I was going to attach, but my phone didn't send the pic to my email address for a long time. So I just sent my original note with the picture.
Ted

MTPockets

We had that experience a few years ago. In our case we had a failure a couple days after the buzzing started and had to replace the switch. Also, we suspect the cause was a bad plug on the RV parks elec pole. It had been loose and They replaced the plug at same time.

Gaffer

It is not unusual for relays to generate a 60 cycle buzz. It can often be minimized by making sure that metal parts are securely fastened together.

Ann&Ted

I worked on the switch again today, tightening all connectors. It is still buzzing. I will get in contact with the switch company's technical support and see what they suggest. The buzzing has been going on for a long time now, and there is not heat buildup in the switch or relay. I will check to see if my extended warranty will cover a new switch.

Oldelevatorman

My Transfer Switch is humming like a bird. I removed the cover and tightened all the screws, checked all the wiring and everything was fine, but the humming continues. I called Heartland and talked to Kendrick in service and explained the problem to him. He said he needed to talk to his supervisor and he’d call me back. He called me awhile later and said that I needed to have someone look at it. Really, so they can say, yes it’s humming and needs to be replaced or it’s probably going to fail at some point! I was hoping he’d say, ‘No problem we’ll send you a new Transfer Switch’, but that didn’t happen. I’m tempted to just buy another one, but I may try to call the manufacturer, Surge Guard, and see what they have to say first!
Needless to say we’re not happy cause this thing is driving us crazy. It’s the first thing we here in the morning and we hear it in bed as well!

Oldelevatorman

My Transfer Switch is humming like a bird. I removed the cover and tightened all the screws, checked all the wiring and everything was fine, but the humming continues. I called Heartland and talked to Kendrick in service and explained the problem to him. He said he needed to talk to his supervisor and he’d call me back. He called me awhile later and said that I needed to have someone look at it. Really, so they can say, yes it’s humming and needs to be replaced or it’s probably going to fail at some point! I was hoping he’d say, ‘No problem we’ll send you a new Transfer Switch’, but that didn’t happen. I’m tempted to just buy another one, but I may try to call the manufacturer, Surge Guard, and see what they have to say first!
Needless to say we’re not happy cause this thing is driving us crazy. It’s the first thing we here in the morning and we hear it in bed as well!

Talked to Surge Guard/TRC today. They said there's no fix for it, which I knew, spending 40 years listening to humming relays in elevator equipment rooms. We will replace it and keep that one as a spare. I'll ask Heartland again for a replacement. It's just annoying now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Esco has information about hum in their transfer switch. Although this is a different brand transfer switch, You could try similar cleaning on your transfer switch to see if it helps with your hum issue.

Full document link
https://www.escousa.net/app/download/6559756454/ES50CSA-65NTrblShootRepair021106.pdf?t=1363344764

Here is the section from page 3 of the manual referenced in the link.

III. CONTACTORS HUM OR CHATTER WHEN IN OPERATION
A. Humming is an inherent problem with AC coils in all transfer switches. This may
be caused by dust or moisture in the contactors or auxiliary switches. Make
sure the shore power cord is disconnected and the generator is off. Using
an air hose with a rag over end of hose to prevent moisture being blown into
contactors, blow out the contactors and enclosure. Make sure you blow
underneath the contactors and both auxiliary switches.
B. Input voltages below 90 VAC on shore contactor could cause the contactor to
hum and cause the coil to burn out. Check the voltage between L1 &, L2, and
L3 & L2 as in procedure II-F above.

Oldelevatorman

I've tightened everything up in the box. Nothing was really loose. I'll try blowing it out with air and if that fails I'm buying another one and keeping the old one as a spare!

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've tightened everything up in the box. Nothing was really loose. I'll try blowing it out with air and if that fails I'm buying another one and keeping the old one as a spare!

Jim,

Did you get the new switch? Did it fix your issue? Just curious because we have the same buzzing.

mlpeloquin

Had the same problem in my 2012 Landmark San Antonio, loud buzzing from the Progressive Dynamics Transfer Switch from almost day one, sometimes louder than other times.
So this last weekend the switch actually stopped working all together after we had a power outage here in the Nor. Cal storms and we lost all 110volt power to the rig.
After doing what I do best (surfing for info) I learned that 99% of transfer switches use AC relays that are dedicated towards the generator so when you plug into shore power the relay has to engage and thus the constant buzzing.
After researching numerous switches I found the ESCO LPT50BRD, a 50 amp Transfer Switch that uses DC relays which are super quiet, also the relays are shore power dedicated, in other words the relay is in it's natural closed state when the rig is hooked to shore power.
The result is a whisper quiet transfer switch and the price was only $196.00 on Amazon.
Hope this helps others as I was just going to replace the existing switch with the same unit and it would have still been buzzing :mad:

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks for the info. I’m always learning about new stuff reading this forum, which is made better because of people like you sharing the knowledge.

danemayer

I believe the Progressive PD-52 contactors sit in a neutral or non-connected state until power is sensed on L1, either from shore power or from the generator. The transfer switch "clunks" when power from either source is applied.

The PD52 prioritizes the generator. That is, if shore power is present and you start the generator, the transfer switch will wait about 30 seconds and then change over to generator power. If you start the generator because of a power outage, when shore power comes back on, the transfer switch doesn't automatically switch back to shore power - you must stop the generator.

Your ESCO switch has a normally closed position of contacts for shore power. So there's no "clunk" or activation when on shore power only. But I believe if you start the generator while on shore power, after a delay, the switch will change over to the generator automatically. That's what's called generator priority.

As for you buzzing noise, most transfer switches do not make a noise other than when the contactors fire. There was a malfunction on your PD52. If it started doing that while under warranty, Heartland or Progressive would probably have sent a replacement unit or authorized warranty repair.

Is the normally closed shore power design better? As with most design choices, there are likely pros and cons. For those of us who rarely use the generator, a normally closed shore power connection would probably prolong the life of the transfer switch.

Hi Dan, hope you guys are doing well and thanks for chiming in, always appreciate your feedback and wealth of knowledge.
I did contact both
heartland and PD way back when the rig was new and was told by both that the hum/buzz was normal, wasn't audible from inside the 5th wheel but could be slightly heard form outside the storage area and once the storage area door was open could be heard quite well.
I'm a perfectionist so needless to say it has been quite annoying!!!!
We just have Gen. prep but no Gen. onboard so we use strickly shore power so
i'm loving the new TS from ESCO - Silence is golden, LOL