Loving my CheapHeat!

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I had ours installed at the International rally in Goshen last June and love it. Saves from winterizing as we are 1/2 timers all year. Has anyone found that when the unit cycles off that it affects the tv and sound bar? This started happening last fall and between all the rain we have had, I haven't been able to check it. Larry mentioned the panel connection could be a starting place. Any suggestions?

jbeletti

I had ours installed at the International rally in Goshen last June and love it. Saves from winterizing as we are 1/2 timers all year. Has anyone found that when the unit cycles off that it affects the tv and sound bar? This started happening last fall and between all the rain we have had, I haven't been able to check it. Larry mentioned the panel connection could be a starting place. Any suggestions?

Bobby - I've never heard of this issue. What does it actually make the sound bar do? Also, what if the sound bar is off - does it do anything to the TV. Finally, as a test, grab a long extension cord, plug the sound bar into it and try to power it from other circuits. Bathroom and kitchen will be the same circuit. All slide outlets will be another circuit. Fireplace has its own, as does the microwave and refrigerator.

Flick

If everything seems to be working correctly other than the tv and sound bar being affected, it could be simply that one side of your 120v circuit may be overloaded. Jim’s recommendation of plugging the tv etc to an extension cord to see if problem goes away is good advise. If this helps, then moving some stuff around in your 120v breaker panel would probably fix your problem.
Otherwise, there could be a short in your CheapHeat circuitry.

superduty08

Bobby - I've never heard of this issue. What does it actually make the sound bar do? Also, what if the sound bar is off - does it do anything to the TV. Finally, as a test, grab a long extension cord, plug the sound bar into it and try to power it from other circuits. Bathroom and kitchen will be the same circuit. All slide outlets will be another circuit. Fireplace has its own, as does the microwave and refrigerator.

When the heater cycles off the tv screen goes black and the sound goes quite for a couple seconds, then returns to normal. This doesn't happen when the heater cycles on. I'll be back in the camper Thursday and try the extension cord idea. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

If everything seems to be working correctly other than the tv and sound bar being affected, it could be simply that one side of your 120v circuit may be overloaded. Jim’s recommendation of plugging the tv etc to an extension cord to see if problem goes away is good advise. If this helps, then moving some stuff around in your 120v breaker panel would probably fix your problem.
Otherwise, there could be a short in your CheapHeat circuitry.

Everything with the Cheapheat seems to function normally. I agree that it is an electrical thing going on and I'll check connections at the panel later this week when I go back to the farm.

jbeletti

When the heater cycles off the tv screen goes black and the sound goes quite for a couple seconds, then returns to normal. This doesn't happen when the heater cycles on.

Is this happening on satellite television? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if the power supply to your LNBs are is being affected. Might want to try to power that PSU from the outlet at the pedestal as a test.

danemayer

If you have generator prep, the CheapHeat is probably wired into the shore power side of the transfer switch. With shore power disconnected, you might want to open the transfer switch and make sure everything is tight.

superduty08

Is this happening on satellite television? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if the power supply to your LNBs are is being affected. Might want to try to power that PSU from the outlet at the pedestal as a test.

I checked the breaker panel and only found that the cheap heat wiring was preventing the bottom of the main breaker from hooking on the bottom support rail. Fixed that and checked all connections to the rest of the breakers. All good.
Next I used an extension cord as earlier suggested and plugged in two different circuits and the problem continued. The breaker for the tv and sound bar is feeding all the slide outlets except the fire place which has its own.
Dan, this is using my Satelite but the receiver is not affected. It stays on. By the way I'm hooked to the dish on my bunk house here at the farm as I'm parked under my pole barn.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

superduty08

If you have generator prep, the CheapHeat is probably wired into the shore power side of the transfer switch. With shore power disconnected, you might want to open the transfer switch and make sure everything is tight.

Dan, I don't have the gen prep and found they connected to the main breaker

CheapHeat

HOC Vendor Partner
I checked the breaker panel and only found that the cheap heat wiring was preventing the bottom of the main breaker from hooking on the bottom support rail. Fixed that and checked all connections to the rest of the breakers. All good.
Next I used an extension cord as earlier suggested and plugged in two different circuits and the problem continued. The breaker for the tv and sound bar is feeding all the slide outlets except the fire place which has its own.
Dan, this is using my Satelite but the receiver is not affected. It stays on. By the way I'm hooked to the dish on my bunk house here at the farm as I'm parked under my pole barn.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?
This is Larry with RV Comfort Systems, give me a call, I have a couple things I'd like to have you try.
Ph 425-408-3140

danemayer

My thought is that there may be arcing somewhere when the CheapHeat shuts off. Other places to check for loose wires would be the connections inside the CheapHeat control box where the 120V wiring connects, at the heating coil, and I wouldn't overlook the shore power cord connection to the trailer and the pedestal. And if the problem started at your current campground, maybe even inside the pedestal.

superduty08

Dan, I'm at our farm and I actually installed the pedestal and my progressive ems shows the ped good. I have changed out the male end of the service cord but it was happening before that. I'm not above making mistakes but I've checked twice just because I did do the work. What is really puzzling is that the DTV receiver on the same circuit is not affected. I have not checked the cheap heat connections other than their orgin. This is not a big deal but as a dyi guy, it baffles me. I'll call Larry and see if he has discovered anything. I'll keep y'all posted as this plays out.

- - - Updated - - -

This is Larry with RV Comfort Systems, give me a call, I have a couple things I'd like to have you try.
Ph 425-408-3140

Larry, glad you're following. As you see this is still happening but I'm still trying. Will call you tomorrow if that's ok. Thanks.

CheapHeat

HOC Vendor Partner
Dan, I'm at our farm and I actually installed the pedestal and my progressive ems shows the ped good. I have changed out the male end of the service cord but it was happening before that. I'm not above making mistakes but I've checked twice just because I did do the work. What is really puzzling is that the DTV receiver on the same circuit is not affected. I have not checked the cheap heat connections other than their orgin. This is not a big deal but as a dyi guy, it baffles me. I'll call Larry and see if he has discovered anything. I'll keep y'all posted as this plays out.

- - - Updated - - -

Larry, glad you're following. As you see this is still happening but I'm still trying. Will call you tomorrow if that's ok. Thanks.
Boby,
if you have a chance before you call run a seprate cord from your sound bar and TV outside to a totally different circuit in your building. Not the pedestal but a totally different circuit inside your farm building.
Thanks

superduty08

Boby,
if you have a chance before you call run a seprate cord from your sound bar and TV outside to a totally different circuit in your building. Not the pedestal but a totally different circuit inside your farm building.
Thanks

Larry, I ran an extension cord from the bunk house to test and nothing changed. The outlet I used is on a completely different power source.

jbeletti

Bobby - please try the alternate power test with the power supply for your satellite "antenna". Not the receiver. My theory is that power supply for the LNBs is temporarily losing power and that is what is cause the audio/video outage.

superduty08

Bobby - please try the alternate power test with the power supply for your satellite "antenna". Not the receiver. My theory is that power supply for the LNBs is temporarily losing power and that is what is cause the audio/video outage.

Jim, I'm connected to the dish on my bunk house and not my traveler dish. It is powered on a separate circuit than the camper. My dvr recordings do not have the gaps that I see on the tv. The noise will have to be between the receiver and sound bar/ tv. I have ordered some noise reduction magnets to try. They may not be received until May. I will update as soon as they arrive.

Last edited: