Low Voltage error on Lippert Control Panel that runs stabilizers

gusjon

All,
I own a 2015 Bighorn 3160. Bought it new a year ago and the jacking and slideout system has never
been a problem. Yesterday I hooked up my pickup to the 5th wheel, backed it into my storage building
and the jacks would not work and the kitchen and lounge slide would not work. Bedroom slide works.
Error message on Lippert jack control panel says "Low Voltage". I am plugged into AC as well.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank,
Jon G

danemayer

Hi Jon,

The Hydraulic pump that drives the 2 big slides and the landing gear takes a lot of battery power. The electric motor for the bedroom slide takes less.

Sounds like your battery charge is depleted, probably because the charge from the Power Converter isn't getting through.

Look near the battery for a buss bar with a row of 12V DC mini-circuit breakers, probably covered by a red rubber boot. One of them will have a teeny-tiny reset button on the end. It can be hard to see if you don't have 20/20 vision. Sometimes it's easier to feel for it.

If while plugged into shore power, your interior lights work, and they don't work when you disconnect shore power, that breaker is almost certainly the problem.

Here are a couple of pics to help. The arrangement of breakers on your rig may not be in the same order, or the same number as shown below.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 62
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 45

gusjon

Dan,
Thank you. Sure enough the mini breaker was tripped. I appreciate your help.
Any idea why it may have tripped?
Thanks
Jon G

Greengas

I've run into the same problem a few times. Each time I forgot about that little breaker button. So I finally put a sign up by the buss bar reminding me where it is.

danemayer

Dan,
Thanks
Jon G
I haven't heard a good theory advanced on why it trips. But in general, breakers trip if there's too much power draw across the breaker. Since power flows both directions, it could be things inside pulling a lot of power when shore power is disconnected. Or Maybe when operating the hydraulics, there was a momentary pull that the battery couldn't cover.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A battery with a low charge with a high AMP draw will trip the breaker. Check the cables to see if they clean and tight. You might remove the battery and have it checked.

carl.swoyer

Check out the battery breaker it's next to the battery disconnect switch. It is a pop out breaker

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I haven't heard a good theory advanced on why it trips. But in general, breakers trip if there's too much power draw across the breaker. Since power flows both directions, it could be things inside pulling a lot of power when shore power is disconnected. Or Maybe when operating the hydraulics, there was a momentary pull that the battery couldn't cover.

Dan I'm sure this question has been ask before but why do you think they are using a "manual reset" breaker instead of a "auto reset" ? Do you think its for safety reasons ? If there is a short when your not at the coach "like in storage for instance" it could try to keep resetting and cause more damage. Or do you have a better theory or the answer for that matter ?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jerrod, an auto reset breaker could go wacko and stay in gauged and let the "smoke out of the wires". Likely, probably not.....possible maybe. To me it would like putting a penny in fuse box.

mlpeloquin

Dan,
Thanks
Jon G

Mine will trip sometimes if I unplug without flipping off the breakers. Did this several times when I first got the fifth wheel.

danemayer

Dan I'm sure this question has been ask before but why do you think they are using a "manual reset" breaker instead of a "auto reset" ? Do you think its for safety reasons ? If there is a short when your not at the coach "like in storage for instance" it could try to keep resetting and cause more damage. Or do you have a better theory or the answer for that matter ?
All the auto reset breakers only pass power if you press a control or a switch. The manual breaker between battery and Power Converter is always conducting power one direction or the other when using your trailer. If something went wrong, since it's operating in an "unattended" mode, it's no doubt safer to allow it to trip without resetting.

MCTalley

In addition to checking battery cables and connections, check the water level in the batteries. I was negligent in doing so and had to recently buy two new batteries for my rig. It was often tripping the 50 amp manual reset breaker when we were pulling up jacks.