Lucky me with brake problem

DickO

I developed a brake problem today putting my 2017 Bighorn in storage today. I was in the subdivision going to our storage area. The dash on our 2019 Chevrolet said check trailer wiring. I stopped and NO brakes but all lights were working. Drove just a bit and dash said trailer connected. Brakes now working. This happened 3 times going 3/4 mile. Each time no brakes and lights working. The plug in bed was tight. Anyone have this happen. Will start working on it Thursday. Thinking loose wire someplace. Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That or some corrosion on the umbilical connections. Lost brakes once on our way to the National rally years ago. Used downshifting to control braking without burning up the truck brakes. Ended up being corrosion on the terminals. Sprayed with electrical cleaner, worked the plug a few times and problem solved. At the time, our rig was not quite 2 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Had that happen once on our old rig. We were going to Indiana to Horseshoe Lakes Park and we lost trailer brakes. We went to RV dealer nearby and they said brake controller bad, so bought and installed a new one. Fix the problem, nope, found out the issue was corrosion at the truck bumper on the wiring. Half of the wiring were corroded away, once I rewired that, everything was great.

Dahillbilly

My 2015 3500HD Duramax does that from time to time with or without a trailer connected. OF late I clean out the trailer connection in the bumper. This connection has the 4way flat on the bottom dirt etc gets in there causing the message. Later model trucks have the 4-way on top & no problems. Good luck

wdk450

As part of my departure routine, I spray my truck connector and umbilical cable connector with Caig DeOxIt electrical contact cleaner/restorer.

I also spray the trailer shorepower plug and park pedestal socket during arrival set-up.

CoveredWagon

As part of my departure routine, I spray my truck connector and umbilical cable connector with Caig DeOxIt electrical contact cleaner/restorer.

I also spray the trailer shorepower plug and park pedestal socket during arrival set-up.
Same here

sengli

There is a metal junction box up in the pin box area. Many of those pigtail connections are in that box, and are just wire nutted together. I would check there if your connector on the truck pans out okay.

carl.swoyer

I had the same issue. My fix was replacing the female 7 way as it had a short in it.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

DickO

Resolved
Had the man come out. Found a wire rubbing on the frame that was shorting out. He also took our 2 feet of unnecessary wiring for the brakes. 2017 Bighorn.