Mail forwarding service

Tankie

Do any of you fulltimers use a Mail Forwarding Service? Or does anyone have and suggetions :confused:. Thank you Tankie

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One of the best that I know of (although I dont use a forwarding service) is through the Escapees. You can check it out on their website at http://escapees.com/about.asp Although you have to be an Escapees member to use it, they have many benefits as a member. We are a SKP member

SmokeyBare

Tankie,

We too use South Dakota for our Full Timer's home State... We use a company out of Emery SD... called My Home Address.

Link : http://www.myhomeaddressinc.com/

We get great service from them, we seldom use a scheduled delivery... instead we opt to call in... give them the Zip Code of the post office we'll be taking delivery... the package of mail is sent to General Delivery... using our name... usually 3 or 4 days and it's there waiting for us. Really works well... they even renew our license plates for the truck and the BigHorn... for a very low service fee.

Their site offers some information about the whole process of becoming South Dakota Residents. In our case... we had the address in place before we headed to Alaska... we stopped in Rapid City along the way... was able to get our Driver's liscence... switch our RV insurance to a SD agent... and then drive over to get the plates for the vehicles at the county seat for the Hanson County. All that was completed... and we were on the road once again that afternoon. Quite simple.

One detail often over looked... to renew the driver liscence... each 5 years... you must go back inside the state... any location... to do the renewal. If your Birth Date is January... it's going to be COLD !

Hope this helps some...

Dragoon

We've used Escapees Mail Service for almost 10 years now. Not once have we had a problem with their service. That cannot be said for the USPS which has lost our mail once, caused us to delay departure by several days when Priority Mail (2/3 days most locations) took two weeks (the town was not that small nor that big).

By being a member of the Escapees Organization there are many other benefits besides the mail service and we, as full-timers, have never regretted becoming members. When we went to Livingston, TX, to switch everything over, the local government officials made it a breeze as they are totally aware of the Escapees and made us more than welcome. Since then, we've handled everything by mail, phone or internet, including driver's licenses, registering a new truck, and just this past year our new Bighorn.

Everyone has a reason for their particular choice, but you cannot go wrong with Escapees. Good luck in your pursuit...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We are fortunate to have a Son with an IL address so we get free mail forwarding and screening if needed. It also helps us at state tax time. IL has no tax on IRA distributions. If you have a Son or Daughter that can help, it may be the easiest and cheapest way. We print up a few pages of address labels and provide him with postage and manila envelopes.

Tankie

Thanks all for your input on your mail service its nice to have a place to ask others their options and experiences. I will be checking each one out to see which one fits best. Tankie

silverfox

Earth Class Mail

We have used ECM for the past year and really like it. They scan your envelopes and you look at it online and make a decision to shred, scan the contents, forward to you. They have several states PO boxes to choose from for your address. We were already residents of Texas and chose a Dallas PO box.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
We have used ECM for the past year and really like it. They scan your envelopes and you look at it online and make a decision to shred, scan the contents, forward to you. They have several states PO boxes to choose from for your address. We were already residents of Texas and chose a Dallas PO box.

Who's ECM??

I like the scanning idea.

SmokeyBare

After doing a Google Search....

ECM = http://www.earthclassmail.com/home

I've looked at locations in Florida this winter. Some of those services also have a Mail Scan service. If they have this service... I'd bet other locations are going to offer it as well.

We each have different circumstances... reasons we need different services. This might save the cost of forwarding mail... which should reduce the cost of postage. Some items I would consider this type of service... but there is some personal letters... ( Yep, some still do Write with pen in hand ) those we would want to open our selves.

Having a copy of our Medical insurance EOB... Explanation of Benifits.... has come in handy when we are ask to forward a copy to a provider... At times getting medical bills paid to the provider has been difficult... those records in hand has helped.

Last... some faxes I've gotten have been difficult to read... nearly impossible to copy because of the poor quality... these could have been from a cheap type fax machine... I'm not sure.

So I'll stay with getting our Mail forwarding company to ship our mail when and where we need it sent.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I
've looked at locations in Florida this winter. Some of those services also have a Mail Scan service. If they have this service... I'd bet other locations are going to offer it as well.

I've thought about some of the other services..and I just do not want to give up my Texas Residency. Born there...die there I guess. Being anything other than Texan just don't seem right.:(

We each have different circumstances... reasons we need different services. This might save the cost of forwarding mail... which should reduce the cost of postage.

My only interest is seeing the envelope. One of the things I hate is that a lot of places have stopped putting return addresses on their mail...and I've thrown several away unopened that were important. If it's THAT important..then they should tell me who the letter is from.

I don't need to read anything on line other than letters from SS and the VA. Some of this stuff could be life altering for me...and I need to know. Forwarding is just another step in the LOST process.

Escapees will maintain a Texas POC. I need a place to send my drivers license, vehicle registration, car insurance, VA stuff, SS Stuff...and other stuff. I do miss some of my magazines. What I don't need is the 5,000 pieces of mail from Publishers Clearing House.

Just wish they could scan my stuff.

2010augusta

Mail forwarding made easy in one word. Parents:D. Her's in Tennessee mine in Colorado for the permanent stuff and then we have packages sent to the campground we are staying at. We have most everything addressed to TN for no state income tax, and will register the truck and Trailer there later this year if we get back through there in the fall.