Maine Campground Recommendations

Essy

We are planning a trip to Maine in 2023! And we are looking for recommendations with campgrounds and time of the year? Any and all help will be appreciated!

southernlady5464

We enjoyed Pumpkin Patch in Hermon, ME just on the edges of Bangor. It’s advantage is price. Yes, its about an hour from Bar Harbor and Arcadia NP. But its a very pleasant drive. https://www.pumpkinpatchrvresort.com/

Yes, it’s not on the coast but you pay for that privilege. If you look at the map, avoid the first three rows in full sun. Cause even tho it’s Maine, there are hot days up there.

NYSUPstater

We stayed just north of the airport and both KOA's and south of last city before ANP/Bar Harbor. Name escapes me at the moment, but was on right hand side of main road heading towards ANP/BH and BEFORE the causeway. Lotta seasonals, but lotta sites that will fit large RV's w/o a prob and full h/u. Think it took us about 15-20 min to BH. Downtown BH may not be suitable w/ a DRW.

Edit: Timberland Acres, Bar harbor Rd, Trenton, ME

Last edited:

Essy

We enjoyed Pumpkin Patch in Hermon, ME just on the edges of Bangor. It’s advantage is price. Yes, its about an hour from Bar Harbor and Arcadia NP. But its a very pleasant drive. https://www.pumpkinpatchrvresort.com/

Yes, it’s not on the coast but you pay for that privilege. If you look at the map, avoid the first three rows in full sun. Cause even tho it’s Maine, there are hot days up there.
The Pumpkin Patch was one of the sites we were looking at! So that is good information! And I don't mind a little drive to the coast. Thank you for your recommendation!

Essy

We stayed just north of the airport and both KOA's and south of last city before ANP/Bar Harbor. Name escapes me at the moment, but was on right hand side of main road heading towards ANP/BH and BEFORE the causeway. Lotta seasonals, but lotta sites that will fit large RV's w/o a prob and full h/u. Think it took us about 15-20 min to BH. Downtown BH may not be suitable w/ a DRW.

Thank you for the info! We will check out that area as well!

Wanderlust

I am actually from Maine and are headed back to Maine with our Landmark Newport in July/Aug 2022. We are staying at the Pumpkin Patch in Hermon Main which is great for cost and can fit most rigs. This is good if you want to see the bangor Area. From there we are headed to Greenville Maine. This is near Moosehead lake and has a wonderful campground I found on camp spot called Moose Creek R Resport in Greenville. From there we will travel around to Baxter State park but this is a problem since no vehicles over 7 ft wide or 9 feet high in the park but there are lots of hikes to do and were are trying to rent a turo in millinocket which might work out. Note that this RV park is 2 hours from Baxter but there are no parks that I found that will take our rig. Lots to do in Greenville though in ways of exploring and you can also raft the Penobscot river at the base of Mt. Katahdin which is an amazing experience! From there we will head to Bar Harbor and spend three nights at the Narrow III. an expesive place but right on the water. There are lots of other options in Trenton as well, but we didn't want to have to drive our dually into Bar harbor as the streets are packed and hard to find parking to begin with, and this campsite has a trolley you can ride into town on. From there we are Headed to Boothbay harbor, great awesome little town and a must see in my mind. You can also visit many other small towns around there like Rockland, Rockport and Camden and see some really great light heads. We will be staying at a Brewery just 2 miles nort west of the town and it is called Boothbay Craft Brewing company, I also found this on Camp Spot and is a great option. There are other camp site there but had no availability and not sure if they would accomodate our rig or not.

Once we are done there we will spend four nights in Loon's Haven Campground. I have never stayed there but it is on Trickey Lake in Naples, Me and has sites right on the water that are not seasonal! We are excited about this one becuase it is near sebago Lake which is such a beautiful lake in Maine. From there we will stay near Old Orchard beach for a night.. Not sure where yet!

Some other great places would be seenebec lake if you have a smaller rig than mine.. one of my favorite parks. Kakatosie lake is also another great park! Kennebunkport is also great!

Best of luck and hope this helps!
Sherry
2017 Landmark, Newport, 43ft.
2017 Ram 3500 Dually

Essy

I am actually from Maine and are headed back to Maine with our Landmark Newport in July/Aug 2022. We are staying at the Pumpkin Patch in Hermon Main which is great for cost and can fit most rigs. This is good if you want to see the bangor Area. From there we are headed to Greenville Maine. This is near Moosehead lake and has a wonderful campground I found on camp spot called Moose Creek R Resport in Greenville. From there we will travel around to Baxter State park but this is a problem since no vehicles over 7 ft wide or 9 feet high in the park but there are lots of hikes to do and were are trying to rent a turo in millinocket which might work out. Note that this RV park is 2 hours from Baxter but there are no parks that I found that will take our rig. Lots to do in Greenville though in ways of exploring and you can also raft the Penobscot river at the base of Mt. Katahdin which is an amazing experience! From there we will head to Bar Harbor and spend three nights at the Narrow III. an expesive place but right on the water. There are lots of other options in Trenton as well, but we didn't want to have to drive our dually into Bar harbor as the streets are packed and hard to find parking to begin with, and this campsite has a trolley you can ride into town on. From there we are Headed to Boothbay harbor, great awesome little town and a must see in my mind. You can also visit many other small towns around there like Rockland, Rockport and Camden and see some really great light heads. We will be staying at a Brewery just 2 miles nort west of the town and it is called Boothbay Craft Brewing company, I also found this on Camp Spot and is a great option. There are other camp site there but had no availability and not sure if they would accomodate our rig or not.

Once we are done there we will spend four nights in Loon's Haven Campground. I have never stayed there but it is on Trickey Lake in Naples, Me and has sites right on the water that are not seasonal! We are excited about this one becuase it is near sebago Lake which is such a beautiful lake in Maine. From there we will stay near Old Orchard beach for a night.. Not sure where yet!

Some other great places would be seenebec lake if you have a smaller rig than mine.. one of my favorite parks. Kakatosie lake is also another great park! Kennebunkport is also great!

Best of luck and hope this helps!
Sherry
2017 Landmark, Newport, 43ft.
2017 Ram 3500 Dually
I appreciate the information very much! You gave us a lot of ideas and suggestions! We will be checking out the CG's that you gave us! Thanks again!

Essy

Thank you for the information! We will put it to good use!
Where in upstate NY are you from?

Et1958

We have stayed at ForestRidge Campground twice before in Ellsworth, ME. Nice area and not too far from Acadia NP . Nice quiet campground.