MAINTENANCE: What Folks Say vs My Observations

Sniper

Having commented on several maintenance related forum topics on a few different RV forums, and stating my propensity to be "anal" when it comes to maintaining all our vehicles, a statement that is usually met with a large return volley of "most of us RV owners are anal when it comes to maintenance!" I decided to conduct a little non-scientific observation during our travels this past year. I say non-scientific because I had no way (nor desire) to observe every RV in every fuel lane at every fuel stop, rest stop, or campground we were at, but I did casually watch those nearest to us coming and going as well as our daily walk-a-bout the grounds at which we were staying, and found the statement "most of us RV owners are anal when it comes to maintenance" to be an incorrect statement. Again, based on my casual and woefully amateur observation. With that said this is what I observed in our 38 days and 8026 miles of travel: 2 folks actually checking tire pressures (both at campgrounds). 1 use of a tire billy (fuel stop), 2 folks checking oil (1 in campground on a MH, and 1 at fuel stop on a TV). 1 checking of lights (brake, run, and turn signals at a campground), only 2 tug test (very scary, at least to me), and 6 folks sweeping off their slide tops before packing up and leaving campground. That's it. That's the amount of maintenance of any kind.

I lost count of the number of RV's I seen coming into campgrounds with at least one tail light or brake light out, and one that had no lights at all! Several tires that you could just tell were low on pressure including one who set up beside us, and the next morning I walked over to let him know about the tire and offer up our air compressor to which he replied: "I'm only about 60 miles from home. Don't worry about it". Alrighty then. He's probably on some RV forum right now yelling about how screwed up the tire and RV manufacture is, and how "anal" about maintaining his RV that he is.

So I'm wondering, is this about right? Is this what others witness as well in their travels? :confused:

Stay safe out there everyone.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Actually a couple of years ago in South Dakota I think I met the same guy with the under inflated tire.
One tire on his truck was visually low, real low, and I offered him the use of my free air.
Same reply, "I'm only 60 miles from my next destination it'll be fine".

Peace
Dave

Tundra2084

Yeah that sounds about right. Before we leave for a trip it's oil change or service if it's close to being due, ,check air in ALL tires TV and RV, once done, hook up and double check that the hitch jaws are securely closed. Next is raise the landing gear up about 2 inches off the ground and do a pull test again to make sure that it's securely hooked up. Then a walk around the RV looking up to make sure nothing is raised, and down to make sure all doors are secure and nothing around the RV that could be dangerous if we moved it. Make sure that the door handle is in and the steps secured.
Then it's husband gets into truck and I go behind the RV to check all lights. I must look like I'm bringing down a plane with my arms going either right or left for directionals, palms flat but in up position to indicate brake lights working, hands in the reached out position with fingers flexing to indicate emergency flashers working and finally hands going in half circle letting him know side markers are working. Like I said I must look pretty funny doing it but safety first. Lastly Check in mirrors down side of RV as a final check. Then when pulling away remember that the mirrors still have to be pulled out lol. When fueling up hubby feels RV hubs to make sure they aren't over heated. After all these years still can't get that one done before we start moving lol
Same routine when leaving a campground and don't worry about slideout because of the slide toppers.

Sniper

HaHa Tundra2084! Looking like your bringing down a plane while checking lights! That's fantastic, and I must remember that! LOL :)

jjriker

Hahaha Tundra2084, we have the exact same routine! Right down to the starting to move out before remembering the side mirrors need to be pulled out. In fact, we have now added that to our checklist. :p

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Same for us. Kelly has gotten really good with the arm signals for the lights.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Instead of the hand signals . . . we now use the bluetooth in the truck and the cell phones!

Rodbuster

We do everything that Tundra mentioned with the exception of, I do all the checking around outside while my wife is setting up the GPS and tire monitoring system in the truck. She takes care of the inside and I take care of the outside.
When I've finished checking everything I get in the truck and we go through a check-list of about 15 items. If everything is answered "OK" we then give ourselves a little peck on the cheek and we each say "safe trip", and we are on our way. Works Great.

Safe trip to everybody
Dick

donr827

I am a check list person. I have a check list for arriving at a cg and another for leaving a cg. I also do a walk around looking for everything from tools left behind, ladder up, and antenna down.
Don

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yeah what everyone is saying. I see very few fellow RV'ers regardless of the rig, from the economical weekender to the $XXX,XXX motor coach, taking any time to go through any visible inspection prior to hitting the road to their next location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Well I have to admit I have evolved over the years and our three 5'ers. When we started we had a SOB and flew by the seat of our pants. Having no direction, education and no resources to learn from we were one of "THEM." Since hooking up with Heartland RV's and HOC we learned a lot, EVOLVED and now have an extensive routine between my DW and I. She is the inside person and I am the outside person and when its time to roll she is my audible check list navigator. WOW, did we have luck early on.:p

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
But you have to give credit to some. I am sure just because we don't see it, doesn't mean its not done. Some might be doing things over a period of several days.

danemayer

I always do a pull test on the hitch and several times have had people come over to warn me that my front landing gear are not fully retracted. I always thank them and explain that I'm doing a pull test. It's obvious from their expressions that they have never done a pull test.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I consider myself very anal about maintenance and making sure everything is operational. I am positive that my checks and balances list is not carried out the same as someone else. Does that make me a neglectful owner? Maybe to someone else. Much of what I do or do not do depends on how long we have been at one site. My neighbor whom we travel with often has an older very well maintained tt. I cannot remember seeing him check anything on a trip. On the flip side of that he has not had an issue with thousands of miles of driving with him. There are folks out there where it is obvious that they do not take care of their equipment. Everyone else I do not think I can judge.

Jeeper

I have a 5x8 index card for hitching up and one for un-hitching. Before leaving, full mechanical check, tires, oil, ect. Lights walk around after every re-hitch, hitch re-check and walkaround at the gate to what ever campground we're pulling out of before hitting the road. Better safe than sorry...it's cheaper, too! Have seen other folks with doors flapping open driving down the road, STEPS EXTENDED :(, basement doors flopping....and one wise-guy with a bird feeder hanging off the side of the unit, going down the road. The worst I've personally seen is an A/C unit cover blow off a unit at speed...just the cover...not the whole thing.