Major failure of heated hose

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The gfci plug was tripped on Saturday evening, and I reset it, but it tripped within 30 seconds. Sunday we tested and discovered our heated hose was the culprit.

The faucet is protected from the weather with a 5 gallon bucket and some fiberglass pipe insulation wrapped around it, so we rarely see that connection.

We have more below freezing weather coming, so we had to quickly purchase a new hose. Upon removing the bucket and insulation, we found the thermostat wire was burned in two! Thank goodness it didn’t ignite the insulation and cause even more damage!

9f0fed56f924ddba555a78f32974b954.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

The gfci plug was tripped on Saturday evening, and I reset it, but it tripped within 30 seconds. Sunday we tested and discovered our heated hose was the culprit.

The faucet is protected from the weather with a 5 gallon bucket and some fiberglass pipe insulation wrapped around it, so we rarely see that connection.

We have more below freezing weather coming, so we had to quickly purchase a new hose. Upon removing the bucket and insulation, we found the thermostat wire was burned in two! Thank goodness it didn’t ignite the insulation and cause even more damage!

9f0fed56f924ddba555a78f32974b954.jpg

Well the gfci did the job it was designed for. Without it, like you said, it could have started a fire or perhaps, someone could have been hurt.
Good reminder to all to err on the safe side when using electricity subjected to the elements.

danemayer

Hmm....sounds like maybe the 120V AC is routed directly through the thermostat. If the thermostat wire overheated, I'm wondering what would have caused that. Poor construction perhaps.

TravelTiger

Hmm....sounds like maybe the 120V AC is routed directly through the thermostat. If the thermostat wire overheated, I'm wondering what would have caused that. Poor construction perhaps.

I was wondering too. I plan to address it with Camco. Too bad the manufacturing tag has burned in two, to know exactly who made it and when. It was purchased October 2019, used last year from October to March. This year October to now.

TravelTiger

That is clearly the Camco Brand/Logo is what is remaning of the tag. Go get em' girl!!! :)

I know it’s Camco... the tag should have handwriting that had the date of manufacture and some quality control checks on it.

TravelTiger

Good news, one quick form on Camco’s website, then a follow up email with pics and a shipping address, and a new hose is on its way! Thanks Camco, I hope the second hose is better. :)

Flick

Good news, one quick form on Camco’s website, then a follow up email with pics and a shipping address, and a new hose is on its way! Thanks Camco, I hope the second hose is better. :)

Wow. You’re on a roll. Anything else broken or doesn’t work. Call today. Get it tomorrow. Lol.

porthole

Retired

I was about to write you to don't hesitate to call Camco. The CS we have received on a few items was excellent.