Making sense of the tire talk

scottyb

Sounds like Gary has all the data he needs, his own. The same can probably be said about anybody else who has had a catastrophic failure by Towmax. Some of us have benefitted by the knowledge their misfortunes and thankfully, their reporting of the incidents. All I can say is, Thank You.

dave10a

I read on RV.net where some think the Goodyear tires are junk because they failed. Does that mean they are junk ;-) BTY I don't support any particular brand of anything. I am not a brand advocate. I am an advocate of good engineering/design and business practice.

BTY I buy Goodyear, Cooper, Michelin, Bridgestone tires because I know they are ISO certified and don't know about Towmax, Maxxum and others. When I start looking for trailer tires that will be a top requirement. However one should be mindful that RV manufacturers are pushing design limits on the running gear.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I know that almost every Heartland trailer has them, all Kodiak and Keystones, etc. Lots out there.

And if you jump on those forums you will see tons of failures as well. Personally I think all ST are junk regardless of the brand. Just that Towmax are not worthy of their advertised rating.

I have since switched to a 17.5 H rated tire. My problems with tires have been solved.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

danemayer

Anyone using these tires?

[h=2]The following Michelin tires have been recalled:[/h]
Tire NameTire Description
LTX M/S2Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112R LRE

tmcran

And if you jump on those forums you will see tons of failures as well. Personally I think all ST are junk regardless of the brand. Just that Towmax are not worthy of their advertised rating.

I have since switched to a 17.5 H rated tire. My problems with tires have been solved.

Humm, the Titanic was unsinkable also.:rolleyes:

dave10a

Is anyone using tire, cars, trucks, RVs, fly swatters, baby food, dog food, motorcycles, child restraints, hamburger meat, pork, chicken, flu vaccine and most any other product. They most likely have been recalled at some point in their history. Watch out we are in a dangerous world.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You're right, Dave. While we would all like to believe that whatever we buy will be perfect and problem-free, reality says that ain't gonna happen. But when things do go wrong, the manufacturer compounds the problem when they take the position depicted below. This is what make customers irate and "mad as ****." Unfortunately, it does not show a fourth monkey with his hands covering his butt.

View attachment 29370

dave10a

You're right, Dave. While we would all like to believe that whatever we buy will be perfect and problem-free, reality says that ain't gonna happen. But when things do go wrong, the manufacturer compounds the problem when they take the position depicted below. This is what make customers irate and "mad as ****." Unfortunately, it does not show a fourth monkey with his hands covering his butt.

View attachment 29370
Every one covers their butt-- fact of life unfortunately. And the politicians have taught us well.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Humm, the Titanic was unsinkable also.:rolleyes:

Let me rephrase that. I am free from having a blowout due to a subpar tire.

Though these tires give me more confidence from road hazard due to their construction. They are thick.

The Titanic was actually the Olympic and purposely sunk.

SeattleLion

Ok, several people have mentioned going to a 17.5" wheel and LT tires. I don't know much about this. I looked at our Bighorn and the axles seem pretty close together. Is there room to mount the larger wheel/tire?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Having read a number of post about those that have upgraded to 17.5" wheels, it seems that they are the same outside diameter as the 16" G tire.

Peace
Dave

MrRvGypsy

17.5 inch wheels and tires have a larger diameter 17.5 inch wheels but a shorter shoulder or sidewall height in the tire versus a 16 inch wheel and tire size.
!7.5 inch wheels and tires have the same overall tire diameter as a 16 inch wheel and tires to within about .2 of an inch. Installing 17.5 inch tires is very doable and easy but not cheap. but neither is have confident safety in your equipment.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Depends what size 17.5 tire you buy. They are not all the same. I believe my 17.5 are about 0.5" smaller in diameter then the towmax tires