Mallard M26 tow vehicle

kf4pwb

Hi All,
First post here. I'll get to it. We are looking at the M26 Mallard and have a 2007 Ford Expedition as a tow vehicle. M26 says dry weight of 6416 lbs. I figure with all our stuff in there we will be at about 8000 lbs loaded. Our Expedition is rated for 9000 lbs tow capacity. We plan on pulling a camper 800 miles to northern Michigan for the summer. Are we nuts?

danemayer

Hi kf4pwb,

You'll want to go by the GVWR on the trailer, not the empty or assumed weight. Current M26 GVWR is 8,600 lbs. A 2007 Expedition may have a towing capacity of as much as 9,200 lbs, or as little as 6,000, depending on how it's configured. And it's probably not performing like new, which is what its towing capacity is based upon.

You should compare your configuration to the specs in this Ford document.

kf4pwb

Hi kf4pwb,

You'll want to go by the GVWR on the trailer, not the empty or assumed weight. Current M26 GVWR is 8,600 lbs. A 2007 Expedition may have a towing capacity of as much as 9,200 lbs, or as little as 6,000, depending on how it's configured. And it's probably not performing like new, which is what its towing capacity is based upon.

You should compare your configuration to the specs in this Ford document.

Thanks much. The vehicle has the max tow package on it as evideniced (i guess) by the class 4 stamp on the hitch. It says it allows for 9200 lbs with a wieght distribution system. I would assume that it has the transmission cooler that goes with it.