Mallard M26BH Air Conditioning (generator??)

Hi there. I'm a new Mallard owner and have taken our trailer out only a couple of times. We are new to the whole trailer camping experience and are overjoyed with our first couple of trips. I'm trying to find out what the electric specs are for the A/C unit in the trailer. Will a 2000W generator work to power it or do I need something bigger? I don't want to run a lot of things all at once but turning the A/C on from time to time while boondocking would be nice. Also want to run a couple plug in outlets but nothing bigger than a tv and a coffee maker. Thanks for any and all suggestions and advice.

danemayer

You could look at the A/C circuit breaker; it's either 15 amp or 20 amp. If a 15 amp, the A/C along with the Power Converter (120V AC to 12V DC) to run lights, refrigerator, water heater, could put you close to the 2,000 watt limit. And that's assuming the 2,000 watt rating of the generator is not a peak rating. A coffee maker can pull another 1,500 watts, so running a coffee maker while the A/C is going would probably require something more in the 3,000 or more level. Some people get a pair of Honda 2200 inverter generators that can be linked together. They're much easier to handle than a 3,000 watt generator.

If running a TV and/or other electronics, you'll want an inverter type generator as opposed to a contractor type. Inverter generators produce "clean" power that is required by many electronic devices.

wdk450

For anyone thinking about running your air conditioner from a small generator, just remember that the air conditioner amp draw is about 13 amps running, but the start-up current for the compressor can be 2-3 times that. I found that I can only start my air Dometic 15Kbtu conditioner on my 3100 watt Champion inverter generator by turning off EVERY other AC power load at the breaker box except the air conditioner, and then adding the few essential AC power loads after the air conditioner has started.

There have been many good reports in installing a "hard start' capacitor in the air conditioning unit just for these generator power occasions.
There are also more expensive electrical boxes that first turn on the compressor with its big current draw, then after a time delay starts the fan with a smaller current draw. The big effect is that there is not 1 big concurrent draw of power, but rater 2 smaller pulses, and the generators can usually handle that.

BTW, have you considered how much fuel you will have to carry/purchase to run your air conditioner on generator 8 hours a day in the summer heat? I personally think it is a better idea to get into an RV park with supplied electricity on the hot summer days.

Chrisandsama

I just ordered the soft starts for my 2 air conditioners today. I have a 7500 watt generator and probably don't need them but after installing them it won't be an issue.