Mallard Pathfinder

Twnorman

My wife and I own a Mallard Pathfinder. There is very little literature about it and reviews. Who here picked up a Pathfinder and has used it?

I'm looking for some answers to a couple questions.
What are some items I should be on the look-out for with maintenance?
What are some modifications (if any) to adapt it to full-time living?
How does everyone organize the trailer for full-time living?

I'm getting ready to live in this camper full-time for a period of 4-9 months while going through some military training. It's ability to be towed by a Tacoma was huge, along with the fact that the trailer is only going to house me.

My wife and I own a Mallard Pathfinder. There is very little literature about it and reviews. Who here picked up a Pathfinder and has used it?

I'm looking for some answers to a couple questions.
What are some items I should be on the look-out for with maintenance?
What are some modifications (if any) to adapt it to full-time living?
How does everyone organize the trailer for full-time living?

I'm getting ready to live in this camper full-time for a period of 4-9 months while going through some military training. It's ability to be towed by a Tacoma was huge, along with the fact that the trailer is only going to house me.
What pathfinder model do you have? What do you like /dislike about it. We looked at a16SRD and like the features for a small trailer. Are you happy with yours or have you had problems?
Thanks,
Jill

Shelena

I have a Pathfinder P16SR. I bought Framed Stretch Mesh Pockets from Amazon for additional easy storage, seems there is never enough storage on various walls throughout. Maintenance is needed for my fridge as the "Check" light comes on daily when not on shore power, my toilet (small leak) but need to ensure it is looked at. Also I am so confused with the solar system as the salesman told me it powered all my outlets. Now tech support says it doesn't. I am 2000 miles away and can't get it in until January. I like the unit but if you have any suggestions I will gladly appreciate them! Seems to be few of us that own Mallard Pathfinders.

danemayer

Staff member
To power everything, your solar installation and battery array would have to be huge. On top of the line models, a factory install usually powers the fridge, entertainment center, and outlets by the bed. On less expensive RVs, solar may just help keep the battery charged.

With a dealer install, there's no telling what you have.

Shelena

Thank you danemayer. I will be scheduling a "visit" to the dealership, again, to see if anyone can "take the time" to go over the outlets since the salesman told me it powers all my outlets. HAH, not.

Twnorman

To power everything, your solar installation and battery array would have to be huge. On top of the line models, a factory install usually powers the fridge, entertainment center, and outlets by the bed. On less expensive RVs, solar may just help keep the battery charged.

With a dealer install, there's no telling what you have.
Hi Dane,

From what I understand, the solar panel runs to charge the battery, then there is an inverter from the battery to 2 AC outlets somewhere around the trailer. Would this be correct?

Also, is there an alternative for the stove? The valve doesn't meter the flame well. It's either on or off, and not much inbetween.

Thanks!

Trevor

Twnorman

What pathfinder model do you have? What do you like /dislike about it. We looked at a16SRD and like the features for a small trailer. Are you happy with yours or have you had problems?
Thanks,
Jill
Hi Jill

I have the P16SRD.
Like:
Solar
Big fresh water tank
Big grey and black tanks
Queen size bed
Easily towable by my Tacoma
I'm 5-5 and I have plenty of room for the shower
Media center is great for speakers, does not hook to tv (or at least I haven't figured that out yet)
Great heater and a/c
Lots of storage

Dislike:
Dinette table (commonly used for 2nd bed) doesn't fit the cutout (manufacturer made the cuts too small) so cannot use it as a second bed.
No A/c outlet over the dinette, only USB ports
No dedicated maintenance manual
Manufacturers cut corners (shower molding and calking separates, trash all over the place
Stove propane valves are terrible
No place to put a trash can other than bathroom

Twnorman

Thank you danemayer. I will be scheduling a "visit" to the dealership, again, to see if anyone can "take the time" to go over the outlets since the salesman told me it powers all my outlets. HAH, not.
Hi Shelena

Would you report back if you find anything out about the outlets?

danemayer

Staff member
Hi Dane,

From what I understand, the solar panel runs to charge the battery, then there is an inverter from the battery to 2 AC outlets somewhere around the trailer. Would this be correct?

Also, is there an alternative for the stove? The valve doesn't meter the flame well. It's either on or off, and not much inbetween.

Thanks!

Trevor
Hi Trevor,

Heartland makes changes on a continuing basis, so it's possible the basic solar installation could have changed. Last time I looked, about 18 months ago, on the luxury 5th wheels, there was a solar option that not only charged the batteries, but also provided an inverter that powered outlets in the bedroom, living room entertainment center, and refrigerator. On other models, at that time, the solar installation was wiring so that an aftermarket solar panel purchase could be more easily connected to an aftermarket controller purchase, to charge the batteries. Adding an inverter and outlets would have been custom work. But as I say, things change all the time.

As for the stove, I'm not sure what you mean by "alternative". If the knob for one of the range top burners doesn't allow you to adjust the flame, perhaps there's a defect. I'd contact your selling dealer or call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Hi Jill

I have the P16SRD.
Like:
Solar
Big fresh water tank
Big grey and black tanks
Queen size bed
Easily towable by my Tacoma
I'm 5-5 and I have plenty of room for the shower
Media center is great for speakers, does not hook to tv (or at least I haven't figured that out yet)
Great heater and a/c
Lots of storage

Dislike:
Dinette table (commonly used for 2nd bed) doesn't fit the cutout (manufacturer made the cuts too small) so cannot use it as a second bed.
No A/c outlet over the dinette, only USB ports
No dedicated maintenance manual
Manufacturers cut corners (shower molding and calking separates, trash all over the place
Stove propane valves are terrible
No place to put a trash can other than bathroom
Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear your likes. My husband is handy so he will fix the dinette, but I can't believe they manufactured it without it fitting. They could have easily made the dinette cushions higher too so they would fit and fill in to make the bed properly. Our shower molding is separating too. Hope this can be remedied. I like the large shower, and all the storage the rv has for its small size. I hope we wont regret our purchase.

Twnorman

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear your likes. My husband is handy so he will fix the dinette, but I can't believe they manufactured it without it fitting. They could have easily made the dinette cushions higher too so they would fit and fill in to make the bed properly. Our shower molding is separating too. Hope this can be remedied. I like the large shower, and all the storage the rv has for its small size. I hope we wont regret our purchase.
Honestly, I don't think you will, once you get past the smaller size. It is tight going through the kitchen/bathroom wall, but I think it's ok for a single guy.