Mallard Pre-wired Observation Camera - No Power

clansden

Hi all, just bought a new 2018 Mallard M32 3 weeks ago. Dealer offered to install backup camera for $650, but since it was pre-wired, I opted to buy it myself (only cost $300). It plugs right in to the mount (jack looks like a small audio headphone jack). It is the Furrion Observation Camera.

I cannot get power to it! I cannot get any help. I noticed a few conversations with older Heartlands that some are wired directly to the battery, and others to the trailer running lights. I can tell you I do not get any power from the trailer lights, not running lights, or in reverse.

I contacted Heartland directly, and they said that a green/white wire was run to the battery, and an in-line fuse is nearby the breaker bar that needs a 10 amp fuse. My dad and I tore this camper apart over the last 2 weekends, and could not find any wires or fuse location (other than main fuse board, which does not have any wires without fuses). I asked them for clarification, to which they replied the trailer was not wired for the backup camera...unbelievable. They proceeded to give me a few guesses, and eventually said to take it in to have it looked at. I store it 250 miles from home, so this would be a huge inconvenience. Camping world is also no help in understanding the issue. I couldn't get anyone to return my call.

Anyone have a newer Mallard and could provide assistance with this? Thanks!

Oregon_Camper

Mine was not pre-wired from factory.

Here is how I did it.

1 - This is the wire that you use to tap into #3

2 - is the connector that plugs into your camera.

3 - Tail light for the RV. Splice into the white/black to get power for cable #1.

Of course you need to be plugged into your truck and have your tail lights on.

Furrion.jpg

clansden

Thanks for the reply Oregon. Your method looks solid. I guess I just have an issue that I would have to cut off the pre-wired camera cable to manually install. I'm determined to figure out where this wire goes to. I may have to splice into the running lights at some point, but I'm pretty stubborn haha.

Thank you!

Oregon_Camper

480Re: Mallard Pre-wired Observation Camera - No Power

Thanks for the reply Oregon. Your method looks solid. I guess I just have an issue that I would have to cut off the pre-wired camera cable to manually install. I'm determined to figure out where this wire goes to. I may have to splice into the running lights at some point, but I'm pretty stubborn haha.

Thank you!

You can use a "toner" to find the wire. It sends a signal and they you hold the other piece around the wiring and it beeps faster as you approach the correct wire. I use mine a bit...worth the investment in by opinion..

I own this one, but it cost $90 and the other one below is only $18. That is a BIG difference, but I can tell you the one for $90 is AWESOME! I've used it many time to help folks with lost wires...determining which Ethernet cable goes where in a house...etc.

Link to Amazon
41w9Vu4bwuL.jpg

Link to Amazon

81l4K7eYpzL._SL1500_.jpg

sderise

I tried to install a camera today on my 2018 Mallard M245. It’s supposedly prewired. Same issue, no power. Any resolution to this issue?

'Lil Guy'

If it is prewired, did you see if there is power at the connection with your battery turned on. If it is like mine, you have to pair it to the viewing screen before it will work. I had to remove the camera and pair it to the viewing screen in the truck. The viewer screen has two jacks and one is for the camera to pair with.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The camera when powered should I'illuminate a little blue light on it.

I understand there may be an inline fuse somewhere, that may need a fuse added to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhall0004

I tried to install a camera today on my 2018 Mallard M245. It’s supposedly prewired. Same issue, no power. Any resolution to this issue?

I know this question is a few months old but I had the same issue today on my 2018 M245. Got it installed easy enough and had my truck hooked up and no power. After researching here and playing around I realized that there is no power to the camera when using your automatic headlights. You have to actually turn your light on to get power too it. Super easy fix that made me fell silly but thought it might help others.