manually override hydraulic pump

kellyboy

I have a 2005 Landmark. It has three slides, bedroom, kitchen, and living room slide. The living room slide will not retract. It is always the last one to retract. When it begins to retract its as if the motor won't engage. I can't find in the owners manual how to manually retract it. There is a pump in the basement at the front of the trailer. The hydraulic level is about half full when the two other slides are in. I read where it should be about half inch from the top when all the slides are retracted. It may be low. When it starts to retract the living room slide the hydraulic motor starts to make a skipping noise and the lights all go dim. How do you manually retract the slide and what may be causing this problem?

Gizzy

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad breaker. Not sure if that is your problem, but it might be a place to check. Mine had an auto reset type on the bar near the battery. Couldn't find one at either of the nearby RV dealers and ended up getting one at a marine dealer.

danemayer

Hi Kellyboy,

The manual override is to run the hydrauiic pump with a drill that has a hex bit. In the basement storage, look for a small removable panel that gives you access to the back side of the pump. Once you can see the motor, there should be a label that is peeled back to reveal the opening for the hex bit.

Valves have to be operated manually, probably with an Allen wrench. Then turn the pump one direction to extend and the other to retract.

BUT, it seems more likely you have a bind in the slide out. You may have a low fluid level in the reservoir, but if you've successfully retracted 2 slides, fluid is coming back into the reservoir and it wouldn't be an issue with the 3rd slide coming in.

Maybe you need to lube the slide components and check for obstructions, things out of place, warped flooring, or something else that could put extra load on the pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kellyboy

I have three manual valves. One that says door side one that says bed and the other says off door. The door side is the problem. Im not sure how to operate the manual override but I was making an attempt and when I put the 1/4 inch hex in the back of the pump and turn it counter clockwise nothing happened. In front of the pump are two hand valves. One that appears to operate the jacks and the other that has a line that goes to the three valves I just described. I rotated the one that goes to the three valves in the clockwise position and it tightened down. I thought you had to do this before using the 1/4 hex in the rear of the pump motor. Still nothing happened. I closed the one that went to the jacks and the jacks started bleeding off. When I tried to raise the jacks back up I got the same popping noise and the lights went dim and I couldn't raise the jacks either. Could this be a weak battery. I do have it plugged into 50 amp service but maybe the battery isn't charging. Does the hydraulic system work off of the battery even when it is plugged into service?

jimtoo

Are you hookup to power or just running off the battery? Also... just a thought... has happened before.... did you check on top of the slide for a limb or something causing it to bind and not move or even something inside... look under the slide, pull the bottom rubber down where you can see with a flash light.. make sure the rollers are still in place and has not broken or came off and hanging up on something.

Jim M

Just saw your reply.. yes the pump works off the battery all the time. The converter that charges the battery is not strong enough to run the pump under heavy load. So you could have a bad battery or it is not getting charged.

kellyboy

I will check for an obstruction in the morning. But I am hooked up to power and now I am getting the same problem when I try to raise extend my jacks

danemayer

If the battery is low, since the hydraulic pump takes a lot of amperage, it's one of the first systems to show a problem. You may be plugged into shore power, but there are things that can keep the battery from charging. There's a manual reset 12V circuit breaker near the battery that may have tripped. That will keep the battery from charging and will isolate the battery and hydraulics from any assist they might get from shore power. Take a look at the 12V flowchart and troubleshooting guide for more on this. http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=Troubleshooting Guides and Tips

A weak 12V circuit breaker to the hydraulic motor could also cause difficulty, especially if the slide is binding a little, or is the heaviest slide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kellyboy

I will check the battery also. It could be the original battery. I bought this camper about a year ago and I don't really know how old it is. That could be the issue but I am not sure why it would extend and retract the other two if the battery was bad. I noticed something different when this problem started. Whenever I used the switch inside the camper to retract the slides there was a beep that went off as soon as I started to retract the slides. This is new. It has never done that before.

kellyboy

Couldn't find any manual reset buttons for the battery but now I am getting the same clicking noise when I try to raise the jacks. Seems like it isn't getting the power from the battery to raise them. I have to think the battery is the problem. I guess the converter could be the problem as well.

kellyboy

Thanks for all of your help. I will let you know what I figure out. You guys are extremely helpful and I gratefully appreciate it

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
You can check your battery voltage with a multi-meter. if you don't have one and your in a park check with your nabors or the camp ground so you can confirm or rule out the battery. Good luck

TedS

Yes, disconnect shore power to turn off the converter. You do not want charger power on when you remove the battery.

TedS

When you override the pump, you must also manually open the solenoid valve for the slide or the slide will not move.

kellyboy

Wanted to let you guys know I appreciate all your help. turns out that it was just a bad battery causing the third slide not to work. Just never imagined that the first and second slide would repeatedly open and close but not the third due to a weak battery. What clued me in that it was the battery was when I couldn't raise the jacks even though I was plugged into shore power. I am learning slowly but surely