Maverick Ranch RV Park, Lajitas, TX

scottyb

After 3 nights at Rio Grande Village in Big Bend NP, we headed out for the 90 mi trek to Lajitas, TX. We had reservations at the Maverick Ranch RV Park. This is part of the Lajitas Golf and Spa Resort. It is a couple hundred yards off the highway with easy access. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The facility is not new but seems to be well maintained. Typical west Texas, lots of dirt with attempted grassy lawns, but he roads and pads are paved and each site has a 10' x 10' concrete patio on the door side. All sites can accommodate large rigs easily and most are pull through. I suspect it might be greener if it were not for the epic drought that most of Texas has been through for the last few years. There is a clubhouse with showers, laundry, and a nice swimming pool. It is the beginning of summer in that part of the world, so it was only about 30% capacity. We had our choice of spaces and everybody was spread out from each other, except for the zone that has cable TV. We had our Dish Tailgater so we picked a site facing a direction to minimize solar heating. After Rio Grande Village, we learned that the living room slide does not need to be on the south side during 100 degree weather, due to continuous sun exposure throughout the day. However, the 30 - 40 mph winds we experienced on the drive from RGV, was the leading edge of a cold front. The next 3 days were outstanding and unseasonably cool with highs in the 70's. The manager used to race circle boats before moving there, and happened to notice my Lucas Oil T-shirt, so we hit it off immediately. We liked the place and will stay there again.

Lajitas is a portal for some of the most spectacular scenery in Texas, going west on Hwy 170 along the Rio Grande and toward Presidio. We traversed 90 mi of rough dirt roads, including 4WD only, through the heart of Big Bend Ranch State Park. My advice; forgo that endurance test, because the spectacular part of the park can be accessed from the pavement of 170. Making the short trip to the Ghost Town of Terlingua, for souvenirs, and a taste of award winning Texas chili is a must.

Attachments

• IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0259.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 47

scottyb

In the 1st photo, is the rock house where my grandparents took me camping and fishing in the 60's when I was 5 - 7 yo. It has been renovated because it had no doors or windows when we camped here.

Photos 2 & 3 are the slot canyon called Closed Canyon. we used to drive up to it but now you have to hike about 1/2 mi, although it is an easy hike. My grandparents would take us there in the middle of the day for a picnic lunch and naptime, due to the shade and cool breezes.

Ptotos 4 & 5 are at the Ghost Town of Terlingua. The Starlight Theatre is a fun place and the Chili is an award winning recipe from the Terlingua Chili Cookoff.

Attachments

• IMAG0260.jpg
    IMAG0260.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0239.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0243.jpg
    IMAG0243.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg