Maxxis M8008 tires OR a "LT" Tire

Ks.Kev

Hello everyone! I have a 2013 Northtrail 22fbs which does have the Tow Max tires which I'm planning to replace before this camping season starts. The size tires on this unit is ST205/75R14-C. Been checking around, and I don't see that size in the Good Years OR the Michelin's tires, which seems to be the choice of many and having very little problems with. The only ones that have that size for a "ST" tire is the Maxxis M8008 tires @ $110.00 mounted and balanced. What I have been reading about the Maxxis tires have been mixed. Better than the Tow Max (or of any other cheap china "ST" tires), But not the best, well for my size tire anyways. But is looking like this might be my only choice to go with! So, what has everyone else been putting on their rig to replace the Tow Max That has this tire size like I have? Maxxis or go with a "LT" tire, which can accommodate my tire size and if so...... Which one? Thanks for opinions and suggestions in advance!!!!!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Either 'D" rate tire will be a huge improvement over the oem. If you plan to drive over 70 mph get the LT.

tmcran

Maxxis for me. I've had Maxxis on TT and current 5er. No problems and holds air very well. Will buy again when need to replace tires. I have E rated.

Gaffer

I have never read a bad word about the Maxxis. I run them and have never had a problem.

Ks.Kev

Thanks everyone for your replies....... after reading all the posts here, Maxxis is the one to buy to replace the Tow max that I have now. since they do carry my size. Silly me..... after reading these posts, I did a search on this site for maxxis tires and after reading the past posts and found nothing but high marks from fellow campers that run Maxxis tires and are very pleased with them! Guess that's what I get for just goggling reviews on rv tires! NEXT time I will search this site first!!!! Again - Thanks everyone!

JanAndBill

Michelin carries an LT in your size. I saw an ad recently for Maxxis that they were offering a 16" tire with 10 ply rating, problem was after reading the fine print they had a 3 ply sidewall, and a 65 mph max speed rating. By comparison in your size Michelin offers a true 6 ply tire with a speed rating up to 100 mph. I ran ST tires for almost 9,000 miles and didn't have a problem, but after seeing so many with damage to their trailers, I got rid of the STs. Last month we were parked next to another HL that had just come in with the fender skirt shredded on his trailer from a blown tire. Just not worth the risk to me.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Michelin carries an LT in your size. I saw an ad recently for Maxxis that they were offering a 16" tire with 10 ply rating, problem was after reading the fine print they had a 3 ply sidewall, and a 65 mph max speed rating. By comparison in your size Michelin offers a true 6 ply tire with a speed rating up to 100 mph. I ran ST tires for almost 9,000 miles and didn't have a problem, but after seeing so many with damage to their trailers, I got rid of the STs. Last month we were parked next to another HL that had just come in with the fender skirt shredded on his trailer from a blown tire. Just not worth the risk to me.

All Michelin LTX A/T-2 tires have 2-ply sidewall. 3 ply is rare in a LT tire, The only 3 ply sidewall tire Discount tire has is BFG KO's (bought a set a month ago for my truck...one tough tire!)