Medium Duty Truck Air Ride Installation

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
For those of you looking to step up to a medium duty truck, there are tons of trucks on the market at great prices right now but for medium duty class 4 - 6 trucks it is difficult to find one with air ride, especially if it has hydraulic brakes.

There are several options out there to installing air ride on one of these trucks ranging from a used air ride system off of a doner, to new systems from Kelderman, Hendricson, Reyco etc........

Over the next few days I'll be installing an air ride system on my Ford F-800 Haul and Tow RV delivery truck.

For those of you that have questions, fire away, please bear in mind that I am an over the road driver and this is a working truck and I am usually out 3 - 4 weeks at a time running 14,000 to 15,000 miles a month when freight is available. Once I pack up and hit the road in about a week, it may take a few days or so before I reply but I will answer your questions, especially when I am up in Canada and using my air card costs me the National Mint.

I have chosen to go the route of a used air ride system frame cut from a low profile IH 4300 or 4600 (can't remember which) I found on evilbay for $600. I am using a VIAIR constant duty 12v air compressor and tank and will have it set up to dump the air from the suspension from the cab using air operated controls supplying pilot air pressure, not electric solenoid valves.

Now $600 might sound like a steal, but upon close inspection yesterday morning, I find the leveling valves, pilot dump valves, air bags and shocks are garbage......... So off to the Navistar dealer I go....... $800 later I came home with an invoice for......

2 - air bags
100' 1/4" Parker air brake tubing
4' 1/8" Parker air brake tubing
4 - leveling valves (only need 2, I have other plans for the other 2)
Dash mounted dump valve
3 - gallons of Fleetgard coolant (gotta do some minor repair and PM to the cooling system)

Yikes, for about $500 more (when including the initial $600 system purchase price) I could have bought a brand new $1700 Kelderman system and been done installing it in a day, so a used system really isn't the most economical choice when time is money....... Oh well, I'm home this week anyways and this gives me an excuse to buy more tools....... like the 3/4" Air Impact and 30mm impact socket for the lug nuts, some new fittings and hoses for the air compresor etc..... I'm sure I'll need more goodies later . ;)

Anywho, I'll get started later today, hopefully I can get back to sleep and get a little more shut eye tonight.

CrazyScotsman

I'll stick to my class 8 Mike, that will be sitting in my drive today. Old boy bringing it to me from MI gave up the ghost in Rolla last night, so it should be here this morning.
Now I'll have to go work for a living.
I owe I owe so it's off to work I go.
Ah living the American dream, up to my eye ball's in debt.. LOL
Safe travels Mike.

Delaine and Lindy

Air Ride seats...

Don't forget the Air ride seats, thats were the smooth ride comes in. The Chevy 4500 was the best riding Truck we had owned up to that date. The upfit was done in Elkhart, Chariot hauler bed with all the bells and whistles. However we now have a Freightliner M2 which is full Air ride, suspensions,seats, cab and of course the Trailer Saver air hitch (32,000 lb capacity). pmjarrett good Luck with your upgrade. GBY...

porthole

Retired
Most of our fire engines and trucks have air ride driver's seats. All I can about that is I'd rather drive then be a passenger.

pmmjarrett

Ya get another Large Car to run garbage from the left coast Ken :D

Hmmmmmm..............

Crazy Scottsman + Peterbilt = ??????

Scottsman.... Scotch whiskey ....... Peterbilt..... Pete

Whiskey Pete...... Here's the name for your new Rooster Cruiser;)

BTW, what do you get when you cross a Peterbilt with a Kenworth and a Freightliner....... Ya get a PeterWorthShaking :eek: None

I've looked hard into class 8 trucks but they weigh too much to be able to stay under 26k loaded and fly under the radar and not need to file IFTA and run apportioned plates. My truck weighs 11,700 lbs full of fuel with me and all of my gear in it. Most class 8 sleeper trucks weigh in about 17k bobtail

Air ride seat is coming soon, Just not this trip in. This week I am working on my 2 biggest headaches..... The rough ride that is litterally breaking stuff on the truck and lack of fuel capacity where I have to fill 2 - 3 times a day and am at the mercy of whatever fuel cost is when I need it not to mention the amount of fees I am paying to fill that often with my Comdata card.

Here's the air ride frame cut I bought.
IMG01626.jpg

BTW. Went shopping today and brought home a complete set of 150 gallon Freightliner fuel tanks for 500 bones ...... That's right...... 150 gallons each side. 23" diameter and 89" long. Anybody wanna pay my $700 - $800 fuel bill when I top up every 4 - 5 days.
IMG01631.jpg

dewwood

Yikes Mike, I thought filling up my truck with the OEM of 34 gal and 75 in the back was expensive but I don't think I want to trade you on fill ups. Hope you get everything back together so you can get back on the road.

pmmjarrett

Oh yea, be done by the end of next week and back on the road. My truck is in demand.

Manufacturers are still shipping this summer unlike last summer so it's time to work and fatten the wallet for the usual winter holiday break when they shut down for a few weeks.

pmmjarrett

:mad::mad::mad: Flinging Lucas Girling Brakes...I hate these brakes ....... Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

I have a major clearance issue with the parking brake chambers that can't be overcome even with flipping them to opposite sides with the chambers to the front of the axle with this air ride system so it'll have to wait for the next truck which WON'T have these very expensive to repair brakes.

Never again will I buy a truck that has Lucas Girling brakes.... NEVER!!!!!!

Well on to mounting the fuel tanks this thread is dead.

porthole

Retired
What a setback. All the prep, costs and anxiousness of modding your ride only to have it not be a doable thing. Sorry to hear. Having been following all your projects and was looking forward to this as well.

CrazyScotsman

Mike, No way in *ell would I buy a Pete, nor another KW, after owning a Volvo 770, the only truck I would buy anymore is a Volvo, so that's what I done. Got me an 08 Volvo 780. She looks good sitting in the drive, just can't make money with it sitting in driveway though.
I've not made up my mind what I am going to haul with it yet ( think I would have known before I bought it ) I have talked to a few different companies, but none tickled my fancy. What I really want to do, is more for a single person, ( Rock tours ) so that is out of the picture. anyhoo I'll just keep looking, at least it won't break the bank if it sits for a little bit.
Anyhoo safe travels Mike, look for a Viper Red Volvo out there, name on the side box door is.
The Scotsman & Clan
Transportation Inc
Springfield, MO.

Cheers Ken

pmmjarrett

What a setback. All the prep, costs and anxiousness of modding your ride only to have it not be a doable thing. Sorry to hear. Having been following all your projects and was looking forward to this as well.

I'm going to have to either get a custom leaf made 12 - 14" longer to clear the parking brakes or fab up a Kelderman style system with the parts I bought, have to do that next trip home.

Air ride will happen one way or another, just not this week.

Rigmover06

Ha Cheap Fuel Bills

BTW. Went shopping today and brought home a complete set of 150 gallon Freightliner fuel tanks for 500 bones ...... That's right...... 150 gallons each side. 23" diameter and 89" long. Anybody wanna pay my $700 - $800 fuel bill when I top up every 4 - 5 days.

Sure I will trade you fuel bills.
I spend a day for fuel what you spend in your 4 to 5 days.
Unless we are using the Pete for vacation then it's cheaper.
Heres why I eat so much fuel.:D

Attachments

• HPIM3244.jpg
    HPIM3244.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM3245.jpg
    HPIM3245.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 31

Rigmover06

Win The Prize...

Rigmover... Is that a D9 CAT on the back or bigger ?

That my fellow Heartland Owner is a D9 weighing a tad under 100,000 lbs.

That's my FT job moving stuff like that or bigger. Now you see why my Pete breaths a sigh of relief when hooked to the 3950.:p

My Jeep weighs almost as much as the 3950. Not as much fun though to pull. But mind you that heavy stuff pays for our fun stuff.lol

pmmjarrett

:eek: No thanks, I'll pass. I don't wanna try to feed that thirsty Kitty Kat in that good looking Pete. I'd bet she weighs almost as much bobtail as I do loaded.

Last edited: