Messed up satellite cabling

jmarnell

I'm afraid we are the latest victim of Heartland's messed up coax wiring jobs! We finally purchased satellite equipment for our Cyclone 4005, using DISH network equipment. While hooking up the satellite dish through the UDC for the first time, I could not get a signal to the main living room receiver. I used my coax tester on the line, and there was no signal getting through. I found the splitters in the cabinet above the TV, and tested every coax cable. Nothing. So I went in to the basement area behind the UDC, where I noticed something not right. As you can see in the photo, the satellite cabling for the bedroom on the right is correct with the orange and gray cabling. But the cabling on the left for the living room satellite connection is black, not what Heartland's cabling diagram indicates it should be. So I continued removing wall plates and testing various lines. I was very surprised to find I finally got a signal from the UDC, but on the OTA antenna line in the bedroom! Somehow in their wiring job, Heartland apparently ran the satellite cabling for the living room from the input jack in the UDC through the OTA antenna and then to the bedroom! Wow, I have no idea why or how they did that. But short of tearing out walls or ceilings there was no way to check further. So I finally resorted to using a fish tape in the wall behind the outlets in the living room and after a lot of trial and error I found a route where other wires enter the basement area. That allowed me to pull through a new quad-shield coax cable to the living room outlet and then directly to the UDC. Once I did that, the signal from the satellite came through perfectly! So success in the end, but a frustrating several hours of testing cables and figuring out how to run new coax cabling. Now I'm just worried what I will find when I go up on the roof to mount the satellite dish. I'm afraid the cabling coiled in the roof may be messed up too. At least now I know how to run a new line if necessary!

20201118_130854.jpg

carl.swoyer

In my 2012 landmark my satilite cable are in the ceiling behind my two bedroom speakers. One speaker has two cables and one power cord the other speaker has the communication cable in it. From there I have to poke a hole in the ceiling and bring it out and then seal if you. Call Heartland with the last six of your VIN they can tell you where your cables are specific to your build. Email them with your VIN and specifics. The warranty department can forward it to engineering for your answer
Not sure if you are using a carry out or a rooftop satilite. You do need a power inserter.
Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ILH

I discovered during the summer that my rig's coax cabling is very messed up. OTA is about the only thing that works properly. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to proceed with warranty repair yet - I haven't got a Heartland dealer within 4 hours - and the US/Canada border isn't open to take it to the dealer where I bought it (NY State). I'm hoping that by next summer, travel might be opened up. Otherwise I'll have to find someone local who can repair and/or re-string RV coax in the coach.

I've got a couple of other warranty issues, but they're more mechanical in nature - easier to find local repair expertise.

jbeletti

I discovered during the summer that my rig's coax cabling is very messed up. OTA is about the only thing that works properly. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to proceed with warranty repair yet - I haven't got a Heartland dealer within 4 hours - and the US/Canada border isn't open to take it to the dealer where I bought it (NY State). I'm hoping that by next summer, travel might be opened up. Otherwise I'll have to find someone local who can repair and/or re-string RV coax in the coach.

I've got a couple of other warranty issues, but they're more mechanical in nature - easier to find local repair expertise.

Ian - on the coax system, just like on your other warranty issues, I suggest you work with Heartland to authorize a mobiler servicer of your choice to knock these items out. That way you can get your punch-list cleared and be ready for spring camping.

With regard to the coax system, it's highly unlikely any coax needs to be replaced. Though it's a common tactic of servicers to do so. Coax doesn't just go bad. That said, it's possible it's pinched flat somewhere and that would need to be replaced - but it's super rare.

Most likely, there's a fitting or two that need to be re-cut or perhaps a bad splitter (also rare). Wish I was there as I'm pretty handy with RF systems (30 years telcom).

grambini

I found that the connector wasn't installed good as the shielding cable was warped around the signal wire shorting it out had to fix both ends.

Last edited by a moderator: