Metallic smell from furnace after running a few minutes

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Need some guidance from y’all.

We are in the process of upgrading our furnace to add CheapHeat. We have added the extra cabinet and duct as instructed for CheapHeat. However, Texas went from Summer to Winter in a week, and we had to run on propane since nightly temps are dropping below freezing. After a week of using it we are noticing a gradual smell of hot metal, or a faint burning smell. It doesn’t smell right away, but the longer the furnace runs the stronger it becomes. I’ve used a propane detector on the air coming from a vent, and even put a CO detector close by to see if it’s dangerous, but neither detector recognizes a problem.

We disassembled the basement to look closely at the furnace and it appears to be operating correctly, but don’t really know how to do any diagnostics. No weird smells noted with the walls down.

From Googling trouble with a Surburban furnace, it seems like it could be a blower motor going out.

Anyone have a similar symptom or guidance on how to tell for sure?

I found a video on replacement of the motor only, which seemed pretty time-consuming and tricky.

Forgot to add, it’s a Suburban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Erika call Larry at Cheap Heat 425 408-3140. He should be able to help you out.

TravelTiger

Erika call Larry at Cheap Heat 425 408-3140. He should be able to help you out.

Jay,

I’ve already reached out to him, but thought I’d get a collective thought here as well.

Since the issue isn’t with the Cheap Heat, I’m not sure what he can do. The furnace running on gas is causing the smell.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Erika, I thought you had some major work done on your furnace heat exchanger not too long ago.

TravelTiger

Erika, I thought you had some major work done on your furnace heat exchanger not too long ago.

John yes it was in 2017. Strange smell also. I can’t say it’s the same. Suburban replaced the inner core of the furnace under their 2 year warranty. They are refusing to do anything now.

TravelTiger

A follow up on this thread about the smell...

We have finished the CheapHeat install, and have no strange smell when we run it. The smell only manifests when the gas furnace is run. Note that CheapHeat utilizes the blower fan from the pre-existing furnace, and the ductwork is the same, so that narrows down the source. We are running CheapHeat exclusively for now, so not sure when this will get resolved.

jbeletti

A follow up on this thread about the smell...

We have finished the CheapHeat install, and have no strange smell when we run it. The smell only manifests when the gas furnace is run. Note that CheapHeat utilizes the blower fan from the pre-existing furnace, and the ductwork is the same, so that narrows down the source. We are running CheapHeat exclusively for now, so not sure when this will get resolved.

Erika, call Larry McGaugh in the morning to talk through this.