Micro-Air EasyTouch RV Touchscreen Thermostat Control

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi all, I wanted to share my recent experience with the Micro-Air EasyTouch RV Touchscreen Thermostat Control. I have been eyeing this for a while, and when the Black Friday discount was offered for Heartland Owners, I took the plunge.

Remember, I’m a gal, so the appeal of this product was the simple “plug and play” installation, and the ability to control the HVAC via a smartphone and remotely if you have wifi and are connected to the internet.

I visited their website to determine the exact unit I needed to replace my existing thermostat, the Dometic Comfort Control Center II Multi-Zone version .

c62230525d92c3ad610fa8fd6e7f742a.jpg

The product shipped quickly, and was well-packaged. However, I did need to download the manual from their website for instructions on installing the unit and the instructions cover all versions of the thermostat.

The first step is to kill power to your coach for both AC and DC, for safety reasons.

Next I removed the thermostat from the wall and removed the mounting plate.

c59520f40f2d1f1214f52acecf608d45.jpg

c6bcad0f49aac8be1f8ee0ba8f0ee73d.jpg

4784a699cc564bcbef5a36ea58099f92.jpg

Then the mounting screws for the new thermostat were added. They have a clever spacer that makes positioning the install very easy! (Yes this giant hole was already there for the previous thermostat!)

d27c0bfd619d5655d05a154af1de271b.jpg

Once the spacer has done its job, you cut the plastic piece between the two screws.

Plug the phone cord-type connector into the back of the new thermostat and slide onto the screws.

b7a1d0f91cef307547e42af82dc96d4d.jpg

c7aaecb338ceab9e0a4cccfd304e522f.jpg

Installed

43170f5fe98e155fd155d6979e048f03.jpg

Turn on the power, and voila! The thermostat is installed! (Note, I will have to fill some exposed holes from the previous thermostat.)

Included is a quick-reference card with the icons explained, which helps initially. Once you learn them it’s fairly easy to navigate.

The touch screen is not as sensitive as a smartphone, but it is easy to learn the correct amount of pressure needed to make the buttons operate. The screen can go dark, or dim, when idle. I like the screen dimmed so it’s easy to see at a glance, unlike the Dometic that required a press of a button to engage the backlight to see the display in the dark.

The unit displays the room temp small in the corner, and the set temp large on the screen with easy- to-operate arrows.

Next, I had to set up the iPhone app to control the thermostat remotely. I downloaded the app and set up an account, name my thermostat, then used Bluetooth to connect to the thermostat. After that, I was able to connect the thermostat to our wifi network in the rig. The app seemed to be a tad bit buggy to get set up, but once it was working correctly, it was very easy to control the thermostat.

7a676c034927dd8e2990f7bfaa076700.jpg

(Note, since my original thermostat did not have outside temp as an option, the app displays 0 degrees for outside temp.)

It’s VERY NICE to be able to control the thermostat without having to walk over to it. Especially as temps dip into the 30s at night and you need a little more heat, without ever having to get out of bed!

This thermostat also lets you set up schedules so that it can adjust the settings throughout the day.

It’s also a great way to keep tabs on the temp inside the rig while you’re away, and have the ability to adjust the heat or AC remotely as needed. The app can even be set up to alert you if the inside temp reaches certain user-specified thresholds, such as a high of 95 degrees or low of 40 degrees, to alert you something isn’t right.

Another feature that was teased is the ability to use this thermostat with Alexa — they say it will be a free upgrade to the app once it’s finalized!

For those that like gadgets that just make rv life easier, this is a must-have, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow E, that looks like a great upgrade.
Thanks for sharing your detailed install.

Peace
Dave

Flick

Erika, that’s a great tutorial on installing and use. The company should hire you as their spokesperson. As you said, for those who love gadgets, this is probably a must have.

jbeletti

Nice install and write-up Erika. With regard to the old holes, obtain and use some seam tape. Just cleanup the existing holes first my pushing any material into the hole and smoothing it down. You could even put a dab of silicone in the home, allow it to cure and carefully razor blade it smooth - prior to adding seam tape.

TravelTiger

Can you control both AC units from this single device?

No only a single unit (a/c, furnace, heat strip) each thermostat already controls, I believe. My living room thermostat supposedly can control zones but I don’t have them.

Since this thermostat controls the living ac and furnace, it was the one I wanted remote control for.

TravelTiger

Nice install and write-up Erika. With regard to the old holes, obtain and use some seam tape. Just cleanup the existing holes first my pushing any material into the hole and smoothing it down. You could even put a dab of silicone in the home, allow it to cure and carefully razor blade it smooth - prior to adding seam tape.

Good idea, Jim. I will have to call Heartland and see if they still carry this pattern.