Microwave trips breaker and cant be reset

Karen23

Hi,we have a 2019 Big Horn 3950 FL. Last weekend the microwave tripped the breaker I was able to reset but it did it again and then it couldn't be reset. I bought a new breaker and my husband replaced it and it worked for about 3 uses of the microwave. Then it tripped again and again can't be reset. Any advice of what we can check is appreciated. The breaker has 15amp/20amp. The 20amp is the one that trips

Bogie

20 amps should be sufficient for a microwave. After the breaker trips, are you pushing it all the way to the off position before turning it back on? If it's tripping successively within a few minutes, it may not be able to stay on again until it cools a bit.

I would suggest you look at the wiring of the socket where you plug in the microwave. You may have a loose connection in the outlet box or the plug from the microwave itself may be loose. Look for discoloring on the prongs of the plug that would suggest it's getting hot. Also try to find the neutral wire in the breaker box. It may be loose as well.

If none of that works, you may want to measure the current the microwave is drawing. But you would need a meter capable of doing that. That would tell you if the microwave is drawing more then 20 amps.

Karen23

20 amps should be sufficient for a microwave. After the breaker trips, are you pushing it all the way to the off position before turning it back on? If it's tripping successively within a few minutes, it may not be able to stay on again until it cools a bit.

I would suggest you look at the wiring of the socket where you plug in the microwave. You may have a loose connection in the outlet box or the plug from the microwave itself may be loose. Look for discoloring on the prongs of the plug that would suggest it's getting hot. Also try to find the neutral wire in the breaker box. It may be loose as well.

If none of that works, you may want to measure the current the microwave is drawing. But you would need a meter capable of doing that. That would tell you if the microwave is drawing more then 20 amps.
Thank you so much. I will try Friday when we go back to camp