Modified King sized bed to Queen in new BH

Dumboldles

To my DW and I the king sized bed took up way to much room in the bedroom; we had the dealer (Desert RV St George, UT) modifie the frame to fit a queen. Found a queen madras at a local store and works great. I'm not sure what the appeal is for king sized beds in rvs.

Dumboldles

pegmikef

We ordered the queen size option when we ordered our BH. Same reason, more room in bedroom, much easier to make the bed (so my wife tells me).

Birchwood

Yes a king size in an rv is ridiculous.We converted our king to a queen years ago in our Landmark.So nice!

sengli

We specifically order ours with a queen sized bed too. In almost every Big Horn floor plan, if you get the king bed, you cant hardly even walk around the bed to make it. Seems as if the dealers all order the king beds for their stocked units. They look big, but in my opinion its wasted space. Now in the landmark ashland the king bed makes sense cause the bedroom is so big.

Birchwood

We specifically order ours with a queen sized bed too. In almost every Big Horn floor plan, if you get the king bed, you cant hardly even walk around the bed to make it. Seems as if the dealers all order the king beds for their stocked units. They look big, but in my opinion its wasted space. Now in the landmark ashland the king bed makes sense cause the bedroom is so big.
I think our bedroom is as large as in the Ashland and it still made a huge difference when I sized it from a king to queen.

B

BouseBill

How many of you calling a king size bed in a RV ridiculous are fulltimers? The wife and I prefer ours.

Wmnmy

For us the king bed is great for us and our 100+ pound mastiff and bichon to sleep with us it was too crowded in queen and making bed is easy as long as you put something under it so it slide easily.......

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Kenny and I love our king bed . I guess that's why they say different strokes for different folks .

MagnoliaTom

We like our king, but it is tight to get in and out of bed, as well as making the bed. We would be happy with a queen, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caissiel

Love our queen. We modified from King to queen the second week of ownership.
Queen makes access to all our bedroom so much better.
I never would lower myself to sleep with a dog. Would insult my wife, maybe, lol.

yport

Had a king size in our last rig ... what a waste of precious bedroom space and a pain in the neck to maneuver around. Ordered our BH from the factory and opted for the queen this time. WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! You sacrifice nothing with the slightly narrower bed ... unless I let my 85 pound German Shepherd sleep with us ... NOT ... but gain more valuable, maneuverable space in the bedroom, and they add some handy attractive shelves on each side with the extra room. Would never go back to King ... but that's all IMHO.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Wife and I would not be without our King bed. We love the extra room and ability to sleep comfortably. Since we do not hang out in the bedroom except to sleep, we feel the space is used appropriately.

Rod

etcmss

We also changed to the queen size to gain room around the bed for access.
So what did you put in the new space at the head of the bed (between bed and wall?)
Gary

VKTalley

So what did you put in the new space at the head of the bed (between bed and wall?)
Gary

Hi Gary, we also changed our king to a queen for all the same reasons others have mentioned...space in the bedroom. For us, it was an "upgrade" as we slept in a full size bed before moving into our rig. The extra space on each side of our queen is filled in with narrow drawer units that I found at The Container Store called Like-it Modular Narrow Drawers and I used two shorts and two talls. They come in white or smoke color.

yport

Gary

In our 2014, when we ordered the queen from the factory they mounted 2 nice matching woodwork sturdy shelves on each side on the wall between. Perfect for the remote, the electric blanket controls when we need it, and DW's misc. She also added a small wastebasket on the floor between.

Gaffer

We were fulltime in our last BH with the "king" bed. Ordered the queen in our new BH and would do it again. Soooo much easier to get around it and to make the bed. But the best thing is it is a standard queen and you can get a replacement mattress anywhere.
How many of you calling a king size bed in a RV ridiculous are fulltimers? The wife and I prefer ours.

Last edited: