Mor/ryde SRE 4000 problems

kbausano

In doing a pre-trip inspection and lubrication, I noticed that our one-year-old heavier duty Mor/ryde suspension shackle is damaged. My first question is,

1) can we drive it from Bakersfield to the rally this week in Jackson (about 4 hours) in this condition?

And 2): can the Mor/ryde rep at the regional rally help with replacement or repair while there?

As you can tell, the rubber ‘cushion’ has broken through the ‘housing’, causing the spring support to be riding directly on a portion (crossbeam) of the trailer frame. As you can tell, the frame member is already sawing into the top of the shackle housing.

a19d10ee618695ec2c5e8bae7e31b6e9.jpg
44e7c30aa92480453380e3cab7c05901.jpg
31ef23e48ffd57d4ac9566f898d43fab.jpg
d80bfe4cdbd1aa05a01b21fd459f47b1.jpg
b30915952760ff1373bb3d35c78d9ded.jpg
7291b3c758d9968162f7d79ffeef2662.jpg

These last pics are what the ‘better’ side looks like.

7331391fac32fb14fae2987830943ae4.jpg
086aaabdd8cab8ae2c1e66c17cef89d5.jpg
f82d41229466406520648125d3225b79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ouch!! No I would not roll on that, personally! I would contact MorRyde as this looks like a manufacturing defect!!

Both sides look like they have failed.

Here's a not so good pic of ours, this is considered "normal" by MorRyde:

72b17c731d140854970a34b1934fd040.jpg

rhodies1

I would not tow this unit with suspension in this condition,it does not look stable and could cause handling problems.
I would contact Mor Ride and have them ship parts and pay for a mobile tech or trailer shop to fix.
It appears there suspension system is not as robust as they claim ,you are not the first to report this type of failure.

Gary521

This thing is called an equalizer. The shackle is the oval metal piece with the two bolts that attach to the spring. It appears that, in the fourth picture, the shackle is touching some kind of pipe. Is that a gas line? In no way should you drive this unit. It also appears that the shackles are coming close to hard brake lines.

NYSUPstater

I agree w/ others and DON'T drive it. CALL Mor-Ride ASAP, explain the problem, ask for a e-mail, send pics (which btw your pics are SUPER !!!!!). MR may also want pic of axle tag and VIN on side of coach.

Ironically, I spoke w/ them at the Hershey show last Fri and asked the diff between the 3 & 4 series. At 1st, I liked the idea of the 4000, but later thought (and before this was posted) about the rubber being pushed out the bottom for there is nothing to support it other than being "bonded" to the metal thru vulcanization. The 3000 series at least has support under it. Guess another question comes up too is, how many failures has the 4000 had? 3000 as well. Our BC came thru w/ the 3000.

jbeletti

Ken - you need to get these pics to MORryde right away. I don't know anyone in customer service, so I'd call and ask for Rob Kolean. His email is Rob.Kolean@morryde.com

Rob coordinates the installs there at their shop and he may not be in customer service. He's just someone I know there.

You WILL need replacement product. IF the wheel spacing is the same on both sides, you MIGHT be okay to limp it that short distance, but you'll still need to get it replaced. If there's a MORryde rep at the rally, they won't be able to repair this for you, only give you direction that you can get TODAY by making the call.

Get on it friend :)

kbausano

Thanks everyone for your valued input. It was literally so shocking to see what has happened to my 11-month old upgrades, that I don’t believe I was fully understanding the gravity of it all at first.

I have been in touch with Jennifer Gregory at MORryde this morning. Fortunately, we are covered for parts and labor. Unfortunately, we’re not sure if we can be on the road by this Friday. However, we have avoided a potentially much bigger catastrophe by catching this during a regular pre-trip inspection.

Thanks to Heartland for supporting an online community that has been so valuable to us, many times over.

Ken

Bones

Thanks everyone for your valued input. It was literally so shocking to see what has happened to my 11-month old upgrades, that I don’t believe I was fully understanding the gravity of it all at first.

I have been in touch with Jennifer Gregory at MORryde this morning. Fortunately, we are covered for parts and labor. Unfortunately, we’re not sure if we can be on the road by this Friday. However, we have avoided a potentially much bigger catastrophe by catching this during a regular pre-trip inspection.

Thanks to Heartland for supporting an online community that has been so valuable to us, many times over.

Ken

Glad to hear a solution is on the way and you avoided a potentially bigger problem

MIKEGELLO

Ken
I have a brand new set of those that I installed and took them back off due to a change of mind. Their yours if you want them however I don’t believe I can ship them fast enough from Jersey to you by Friday for your trip
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kbausano

Ken
I have a brand new set of those that I installed and took them back off due to a change of mind. Their yours if you want them however I don’t believe I can ship them fast enough from Jersey to you by Friday for your trip
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You’re more than kind Mike! I do appreciate your offer - but I’m making MORryde back up their own products, which should arrive Thursday, and they’ll pay for labor.

It IS peculiar how the ‘housing’ isn’t more wedge-shaped so the possibility of the rubber cushions blowing through the bottom would be less possible.

carl.swoyer

In doing a pre-trip inspection and lubrication, I noticed that our one-year-old heavier duty Mor/ryde suspension shackle is damaged. My first question is,

1) can we drive it from Bakersfield to the rally this week in Jackson (about 4 hours) in this condition?

And 2): can the Mor/ryde rep at the regional rally help with replacement or repair while there?

As you can tell, the rubber ‘cushion’ has broken through the ‘housing’, causing the spring support to be riding directly on a portion (crossbeam) of the trailer frame. As you can tell, the frame member is already sawing into the top of the shackle housing.

a19d10ee618695ec2c5e8bae7e31b6e9.jpg
44e7c30aa92480453380e3cab7c05901.jpg
31ef23e48ffd57d4ac9566f898d43fab.jpg
d80bfe4cdbd1aa05a01b21fd459f47b1.jpg
b30915952760ff1373bb3d35c78d9ded.jpg
7291b3c758d9968162f7d79ffeef2662.jpg

These last pics are what the ‘better’ side looks like.

7331391fac32fb14fae2987830943ae4.jpg
086aaabdd8cab8ae2c1e66c17cef89d5.jpg
f82d41229466406520648125d3225b79.jpg

I certainly hope that your not going to travel with the damaged suspension. It would probably cause chassis damage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

MorRyde send some rebuilt versions of the same SRE 4000 I installed. Watching that kitchen side like a hawk :)

Curious, do you have shocks on the rig still? We have removed ours per MorRyde's suggestion, after destroying two sets. I think it rides better.

kbausano

Curious, do you have shocks on the rig still? We have removed ours per MorRyde's suggestion, after destroying two sets. I think it rides better.

One of the 4 shocks was destroyed when the STE4000’s failed, bending the shock. I did replace it, but since these are mounted in a radical angle to the ground and frame, I’ve always wondered how useful they are.

We had the same issue - failed on both sides after several months of use. MorRyde would not pay the $400 labor to replace. I’m sorry I even had it reinstalled because a couple weeks later it looks like it’s starting to fail again. We are well within the weight limit.

carl.swoyer

In picture 7 of 9? Just to the right of the hanger up on the I beam is there a crack?tapatalk_-1944289608_281x375.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• tapatalk_-1944289608_281x375.jpg
    tapatalk_-1944289608_281x375.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 21
  • tapatalk_-1944289608_281x375.jpg
    tapatalk_-1944289608_281x375.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 23

TravelTiger

We had this failure start about 1.5 years after install. At the Rally in Goshen, I asked MorRyde to look at them, and they gave us new parts, but we had to install ourselves. We did, and the same thing appeared to be happening again. So last fall we replaced the SRE4000 with the CRE3000. We haven't been able to travel much since we made the switch, but I figured since this was the OEM suspension on Big Country's from the factory for the past 4 years or so (a year after ours was built they switched from Dexter to MorRyde CRE3000), maybe it's the right choice.

carl.swoyer

I have a 2012 Landmark Rushmore and the oem factory installed suspension has performed and lasted to this date without failure.
I'm guessing that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I've replaced factory shocks, tires and brakes.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk