MOR/ryde Step Above option

jbeletti

I'm not a fan of the Step Above steps, but for those that may be, MOR/ryde is coming out with a version and/or kit for those that prefer to not have the steps fold up into the trailer.

The kit has quick attachment points that you install below the door threshold.

http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downloads/1521206439-clip_step_install_v9.pdf

http://www.morryde.com/products/154-quick-connect-step?return=/products/194-the-stepabover

This trend of full staircases that store in the coach is really catching on. I'm a fan, but know not everyone is. They have their pros and cons like all things do.

With regard to the Quick Connect Step, where do they store - bed of the truck? If that's the case, I'd much rather just lift them up and store them in the doorway. My personal preference anyway. That said, not every door and floor plan can accommodate the StepAbove or SolidStep so maybe the Quick Connect Step is for those folks??

WillyBill

IMHO---The biggest problem is deploying the Moryde steps on the go-in a parking lot or in the truck area at a rest area - not enough room to swing them down/up if somebody is parked in the space on your door side. Saw the problem right away at the dealer show lot. Could not open a LOT of trailers due to not enough room. I will not buy a Trailer with these on it. Period!!! Unless....the Dealer provides Torq-Lift steps for free.

WB

jbeletti

Steps sure are a polarizing topic :)

The Torklift Glow Steps are SUPER popular and for obvious reasons over the more traditional folding steps.

But there are some people that simply have a difficult time deploying them and stowing them. As the interface gets dirt/grime in it, they get harder to operate. They can be cleaned and lubricated of course.

Speaking only for my situation, my wife finds it vastly easier for her to pull down and lift back the MORryde StepAbove. We do have the OEM version that has the Zero-Gravity feature (gas strut assist) - so that helps. Then that built-in handle gives her the stability and assurance as well as leverage she needs to climb up or down.

So that's our use-case. Each person's own use-cas will vary. And it's your personal use-case that will really dictate what steps style is best for you.

porthole

Retired
At the 2017 Goshen rally when they were first introduced on LM's with the friction hinge - that was a direct turn off for us.
Deb could barely reach the door latch, and once unlatched didn't have the strength to open the door.

JB, as to your question where do you store the steps, I don't know. I get the impression they are marketing them to someone that may be doing extended stays but does not want the internal steps.

Last edited:

jbeletti

At the 207 Goshen rally when they were first introduced on LM's with the friction hinge - that was a direct turn off for us.
Deb could barely reach the door latch, and once unlatched didn't have the strength to open the door...

Does your new coach have the friction hinge or were you able to opt for a door without it? I'm not a fan but it sure is "a thing" out there. I'm convinced it was created by accident and used to solve a problem that didn't exist. My opinion anyway.

porthole

Retired
Does your new coach have the friction hinge or were you able to opt for a door without it? I'm not a fan but it sure is "a thing" out there. I'm convinced it was created by accident and used to solve a problem that didn't exist. My opinion anyway.

No, standard type hinge (that squeaks)

pegmikef

I love the steps and really don't like the friction door thing. For one thing it doesn't always stay open in the heavier winds (15 - 20 MPH). The steps though are a different story. There was a slight learning curve on their use, but once mastered, I wouldn't go back to the others. I really like the shock assisted storage feature. Peggy can stow them with one hand. . . Unlike what some people have said, they do not take up any real useable space when stowed.