MorRyde Sliding Drawer Modification (prototype)

danemayer

I've had the MorRyde sliding drawer in the pass through storage for nearly a year now and one annoying shortcoming is in the unlatching system. The drawer slides out both directions, but whichever side I'm on, when I pull the latch, the drawer slides out only toward me. Often, I want something underneath the drawer that's on the side I'm on. So I needed a way to unlatch the drawer handle on the other side so I can push the drawer away from me.

Prototyped a simple solution today and I'll see over time how it holds up. It's four 1/4" x 2" eyebolts with 1/4" nuts, four extra 1/4" nuts, two pieces of string, and two pieces of tape.

Drill 1/4" hole in the top rail of the drawer, on each side of each end of the drawer. Put one nut above the rail and one under the rail to mount the eye bolt so it doesn't come into contact with anything as the drawer slides.

On the latch side, angle the eye bolt so when you pull the string through, it doesn't contact the bracket below the eye bolt. Loop the string around the latch handle and tape it in place. If you allow the string to contact the bracket below the eye bolt, the string will get cut.

The string should be tied so it's just barely taut.

To unlatch the far side latch, pull up on the string until you hear it unlatch, push the drawer, release the string.

Video attached below.

Now, I'm sure someone can improve on this prototype. Maybe something on the end of the drawer to guide the string.

Jerrod???

MorRyde-Drawer-Pull-Anchor.jpgMorRyde-Drawer-Pull-Unlatch notated.jpg

brianlajoie

My idea the Gary Wheeler and company was to add a tension screw on both sides so you can set the drawer at whatever depth you wanted it at. The drawer always slides all the way out after release and sometimes you need to get to a portion of the tray.

BobTheBuilder

Dan, mine is waiting to be installed. I had one on my SOB and really missed it on my Bighorn and like your idea. After watching your video a few times here are my thoughts on how you might simplify it and get the strings "concealed". How about using small 1/4" hard plastic bushings instead of the eyebolts? After drilling the 4 holes, insert the bushings which should give you a round and smooth edge so there are no sharp edges, very smooth and rounded. Tie the fixed end through the hole/bushing and take it to the other end below the rail so the string is not exposed. At the other end pass it back up through that hole and over the edged and tie/secure it to the handle. Use heavy braided fishing line to increase wear resistance.

Based on using your rigging, is this likely to work?

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking of a release like that today, but I was thinking of mounting a small pulley where you mounted the eyebolt. I would most a guard around the pulley to keep the cable on the pulley. Also one could use a bellcrank with a cable or a metal rods. Here is a image from Amazon

81cgr19AraL._SX522_.jpg

danemayer

Based on using your rigging, is this likely to work?

Bob,

One of the difficulties for me was visualizing everything without actually having the drawer in front of me and sliding it. I had a couple of thoughts that didn't pan out because of which parts were moving and which are stationary, along with clearances and location of rollers. Using bushings might be less obtrusive and I will be looking for a replacement for the string.

I think if a few of us try some of these ideas, we'll probably come up with a mod that MorRyde will want to copy.:p

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

All good ideas.
But heck let's step it up a notch and do a electric solid latch right in the middle, then you could push a button on either side and slide it either direction. Here's an example of what I'm thinking.
I'd worry about something falling on the string while traveling and releasing the tray and blowing open the side door. I had that that happen to us on our toyhauler on Hwy 1 on the windy road. It was the twist latches on the door not the slam latches. Not good !!!!
ff46c1dc13c9811ac3fd7c9d3edb1498.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

All good ideas.
But heck let's step it up a notch and do a electric solid latch right in the middle, then you could push a button on either side and slide it either direction. Here's an example of what I'm thinking.
I'd worry about something falling on the string while traveling and releasing the tray and blowing open the side door. I had that that happen to us on our toyhauler on Hwy 1 on the windy road. It was the twist latches on the door not the slam latches. Not good !!!!

Jerrod, I like it. Should there be a manual override?

I'll volunteer to test your prototype. :rolleyes:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dan I don't have a roller try anymore. But if I did I'd be expermenting with it. Bring it by and we'll brain storm on yours.

happykraut

I've had the MorRyde sliding drawer in the pass through storage for nearly a year now and one annoying shortcoming is in the unlatching system. The drawer slides out both directions, but whichever side I'm on, when I pull the latch, the drawer slides out only toward me. Often, I want something underneath the drawer that's on the side I'm on. So I needed a way to unlatch the drawer handle on the other side so I can push the drawer away from me.
Dan, I agree with you 100%, it is very aggravating. Crazy about these ideas. I really like Jerrods idea the best. Do you have a part number for that latch and who carries it? Thanks.

BobTheBuilder

I believe the electric solonoid would require disabling of the MorRyde latches so I would be concerned about that (or were you thinking using the solonoid to operate the latch somehow?). There is enough space to run the string under the sliding tray lip and above the fixed frame, i.e., the slight tension of a taut string will keep it in place but it would be where nothing could fall against it and trip it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Not off hand I just did a Google search (images) and clicked on one that I was thinking of. I'm sure a deeper search might find the perfect one.

danemayer

I believe the electric solonoid would require disabling of the MorRyde latches so I would be concerned about that (or were you thinking using the solonoid to operate the latch somehow?). There is enough space to run the string under the sliding tray lip and above the fixed frame, i.e., the slight tension of a taut string will keep it in place but it would be where nothing could fall against it and trip it.

I looked at running the string under the tray lip, but if I'm remembering correctly, the rollers made that impractical.

Let's keep thinking on this. I'm sure we can collectively come up with a great idea.

happykraut

I was really hoping that this thread would take off. I'd like to do this mod the electric route. Has anyone found a suitable electric plunger/lock/etc?