mpg towing with Ford super duty

VixPix

Wow, if we have to be honest about mileage - what fun is left? I've got a 2008 F450 w/6.4L and 4.88 rear end, my GearVendor will provide nearly the equivalent of 3.73 when engaged. Here's what I typically see towing our Landmark and crew, total Gross Combined Weight is usually between 22,500 and 25,000 lbs. These are based upon a log book that I keep and update at each refueling & maintenance and there's some variability around these based on weather/driving conditions. I am very pleased with the GearVendor's contribution to improved economy on my beast. The 4.88 rear-end is great for low-end torque, but whoa does it beat you up at the pump.

Interstate Highway driving (conservative speeds):
Truck w/o the GV engaged: 10.5
With GV Engaged: 13.5

With Trailer & Tow Haul Mode Engaged
w/o GV engaged: 6.5
With GV Engaged: 8.5

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I have an '08 6.4 long bed,4wd, crew cab Lariat F350 with a 373 gear. I get between 9-10 running 65 mph towing a 3055. I get between 13-16 combo milage. I have not been on the interstate unloaded to see what it might get but don't have high hopes for much more. My '03 F350 6.0 got around 10 towing and I actually got 21 on the interstate behaving at 70 mph. I normally did not behave and got around 18. I differ from some in that I prefer the International engine but don't have anything against the Cummings.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Hey Ya'll I get around 30-40 mpg while pulling (ya right!!!) All joking aside yes there are some guys that luck up and get a truck that gives some pretty good fuel mileage, but we all know that a lot depends on the driver as well as the truck, your choice of vehicles is definitly your call, all are good trucks we just have our preferences, I own a F350 with 373 gears and a 7.3 turbo diesel, (with duals), and I am very pleased if any thing I would be mostly concerned about the single or dual wheels, good luck with your decision, Im sure you'll make the right call!
Mike

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Wow.. I actually got 46 mpg one time and another said 99 MPG. Thought that was cool, but it was going down hill.:D

Actually the MPG any vehicle gets depends on many options. Are you mainly traveling on flat road? Are there many inclines. (don't want to say mountains yet)? Is there a frontal wind, side wind or tail wind. Are you on asphalt, concrete, 4 lane , 2 lane. In town, all highway or both. If you drive to one destination you might get 10mpg but going to a different destination it might have more inclines and your mileage would decrease. What I try to determine is do I have enough fuel to get from one place to another. Normally I figure 10 mpg and do pretty well over all. I have been going into a head wind and I saw 6 & 7 mpg.

Before I had the IS system installed my combined weighed was 18,755.
I could normally depend on about 10 or 10.5 with the BH. Without the BH I would get 14 around town and about 17-18 on the Interstate at about 68-70mph.

The OP asked about which to get, the F250 or the F350 and what mileage to expect. My 2006 F250, 6.0, 4x4, LB, CC, 3.73, SRW, 17" wheels and a 45gal Aux tank in the bed. It is right at its weight limit because it is a F250. I have the same springs as the F350. The F350 has a higher payload than the F250.

Depending on if your going to travel fulltime or weekend might be a concern. If you got the F350 SRW you can drive, park or what ever as easily as an F250 and have a larger legal payload. Go for the F350. It gives you more flexability for future decisions. A F250 Super Duty will serve you well but you must watch your weight limits. Also if you fulltime you would normally carry more in the 5er than just weekending.

Check this out. Change to the year your intrested in and look at the trailer towing section..
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2006/2006_default.asp

BC

charris57

I pull a 2900 mk with a 2007 F-350, S/D. 6.0.Turbo, 4x4.We are using a SXT -X-Calaborator II. With the tow tune installed we get 12.5 or a little better on the road with the 2900MK in tow. With out the camper get @15-16 in the city and close to 19-20 on the open highway. Also installed a MRP 4" turbo back exhaust and have removed the EGR valve. Runs alot better after removing the EGR......... Good Luck.......Steve

charris57

I pull a 2900 mk with a 2007 F-350, S/D. 6.0.Turbo, 4x4.We are using a SXT -X-Calibrator II. With the tow tune installed we get 12.5 or a little better on the road with the 2900MK in tow. With out the camper get @15-16 in the city and close to 19-20 on the open highway. Also installed a MRP 4" turbo back exhaust and have removed the EGR valve. Runs alot better after removing the EGR......... Good Luck.......Steve

DennisZ

I pull my 3055 with a 2001 F-350 with 3.73 gears, a 4" exhaust and a power tuner. I get a very consistant 10.2 to 10.5, it doesn't seem to matter if I'm going up and down hills or on flat land, the average is about the same. I usually pull at about 62 mph, it seems like a sweet spot on the power curve.

Dennis

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thought I would add a comment what TXBobcat brought up. I recently was towing into a strong head wind of 32 mph with gusts to 62 (I know...stupid to drive in it). I got 5 mpg. The next day I had a 15 mph tailwind and got 12 mpg. Moral...the wind can make a big difference in your mpg and always try to get that tail wind if possible.

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
I've only got 3000 miles on a 2008 f350 6.4 w/3.73 gears, 4x4, srw. We just went to Topeka and back from Des Moines, Ia. and averaged 10.1-10.2mpg pulling our Augusta. I kept it under 65mph most of the time - expect that to improve once we get broke in a little better with some more miles.

Tom of Ypsi

We just towed from Sedalia, Mo to Goshen, In mostly between 55 and 60 mph, mostly 55, and averaged 10.7 mpg. Before that we averaged 60-63 mph and averaged around 9.5 or lower depending on terrain. This is with my signature truck below and just shy of 10K miles on it. We will be driving slower from now on.

superduty08

I've only got 3000 miles on a 2008 f350 6.4 w/3.73 gears, 4x4, srw. We just went to Topeka and back from Des Moines, Ia. and averaged 10.1-10.2mpg pulling our Augusta. I kept it under 65mph most of the time - expect that to improve once we get broke in a little better with some more miles.

I have 21,000 miles and mine has not changed a bit from the first time that a towed after 5,000 miles. I get about the same mileage as yours when I behave.

bgscott

my 07 f250 6.0 4wd gets about 14.5 around town and 10.5 to 11 pulling my sundance. It gets a little better than 15 on the hiway.

rob hutch

:rolleyes::rolleyes:I tow with a 2008 Ford 450 super duty 4x4 diesel with or without the 5er (2007 3200 sundance bhs) still get 11-12 mpg

RnRCycloner

I tow with a 2006 F350 6.0 Dually Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Two wheel drive with 3.73 gear ratio.. Combination Intersate and town I average 16.1 mpg according to onboard computer not towing staying pretty close to speed limits.. I haven't towed a lot, new to the 5er. I did make a short 176 mile trip last week pulling my Cyclone 3950 up and down hills interstate and state roads. I ran in tow/haul mode the complete trip, again according to the onboard computer I averaged 15.1 mpg. I haven't weighed my unit so don't know what gross weight was.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
...GM ruined their crew cab when they changed the configuration of the back seat. Much less room than before, especially when folded.

I have to disagree on that. I love the room in the back of my '08 GMC Crew Cab and with the folding seats I can get some pretty big boxes back there when needed. Of course, as with anything, it is what you get accustomed to and personal preference.

After reading all these MPG's from various Ford owners, I am glad I went with the GMC. While not a lot, I am averaging about 2 miles more than the majority of MPG's I see posted here...both towing and empty. :D I sure hope it keeps up.

superduty08

I have an '08 6.4 long bed,4wd, crew cab Lariat F350 with a 373 gear. I get between 9-10 running 65 mph towing a 3055. I get between 13-16 combo milage. I have not been on the interstate unloaded to see what it might get but don't have high hopes for much more. My '03 F350 6.0 got around 10 towing and I actually got 21 on the interstate behaving at 70 mph. I normally did not behave and got around 18. I differ from some in that I prefer the International engine but don't have anything against the Cummings.

The 21mpg was not towing and traveling light.

jpjulian

The BEST mileage I've had with my '08 F250 6.4L 3.73 gear ratio Superduty was 14 MPG on a 220 mile road trip empty. That was the one and only time I got 14 MPG. With the BH3370 in tow mileage averages between 9.5 and 11.5 MPG depending on weather/wind conditions. Poor mileage is the one and only gripe I have with this truck. It pulls like crazy and I can break any speed limit in the country at 21,260 lbs. gross.

ct0218

I'm surprised the Ford doesn't get better than 14 mpg. I got 19.4 yesterday, solo, and my dually weighs a little over 8000 lbs. That was pretty much all open road driving, and hand calculated--I don't trust the computer generated figures. It has the stock 3.73 rear since it is a Duramax, pulls like crazy, and I'm sure it gets better mpg than the new ones.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm surprised the Ford doesn't get better than 14 mpg. I got 19.4 yesterday, solo, and my dually weighs a little over 8000 lbs. That was pretty much all open road driving, and hand calculated--I don't trust the computer generated figures. It has the stock 3.73 rear since it is a Duramax, pulls like crazy, and I'm sure it gets better mpg than the new ones.

So that that one day average open road empty downhill with a tail wind? :D