Musty odor in bathroom

NYSUPstater

Last year our DD and SIL mentioned to us that they could smell a musty like odor in bathroom. Well, I agree there is some kind of distinct odor, but cannot see any areas that are wet either under the sink, walls, ceiling, etc. When I had my issues of winterizing it last year, didn't see any signs of wetness under bathroom when I removed the basement panels. Same goes for the toilet too.

NYSUPstater

So I finally got my butt in the coach to check the area under the bathroom sink. What I found was a 2" (?) pipe that was threaded on one end and screwed (although very loose) onto drain pipe for sink and a solid cap on the other end of it. Wasn't very long overall, maybe 4" tops. So I screwed it back down a decent ways, but not tight. Should this be tight overall? Studor cap on end VS reg cap?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If that 2” pipe extends vertically from the drain line, it probably should have a Studor valve there, not a cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-JOE

Could that smell be a propane leak? The reason I'm asking is that prior to us discovering our stove propane leak we were smelling a musty odor, kind of like a cross between a dead mouse and a old wet blanket, hard to describe. Obviously most models have propane lines running from the front through a good portion of the length of the unit.

I would get a gas/propane detector and check the area you are smelling that in to make sure.

jmarnell

So I finally got my butt in the coach to check the area under the bathroom sink. What I found was a 2" (?) pipe that was threaded on one end and screwed (although very loose) onto drain pipe for sink and a solid cap on the other end of it. Wasn't very long overall, maybe 4" tops. So I screwed it back down a decent ways, but not tight. Should this be tight overall? Studor cap on end VS reg cap?
This is a photo of what the drain setup looks like under our bathroom sink.
20211002_102933.jpg

JohnDar

OK, you have a Studor valve there, as it should be. Now, it's possible the flapper in the valve is stuck open, allowing odors from the tank to filter back into the coach. Remove it and check the position and flexibility of the flapper.

bigheart

I recently got a musty odor emanating from under the bathroom sink, thinking it may be a leak. I think
l'll replace the air admittance valve and see if that helps. thanks for the suggestion.

JohnDar

I recently got a musty odor emanating from under the bathroom sink, thinking it may be a leak. I think
l'll replace the air admittance valve and see if that helps. thanks for the suggestion.

Musty suggests water on wood someplace to my nose. Odors from gray tanks can mimic the fragrance of the black tank.

bigheart

could be the case. I have to investigate a soft area on the storage flooring right by the door, which I realize was leaking during rainstorns. it could possibly be coming from there, given it's emanating throughout the storage/basement area.

I am green as grass when it comes to rv life -- trying to learn as much as I can, but there are so many possible places and reasons for leaks, I am finding. it does not help that I'm clueless as to how to investigate, and finding troubleshooting help from someone who knows a thing or two about rvs, as been darn near impossible. in fact, I've been warned by a few rv techs who do not do mobile calls that the area I live in is notorious for cheats who take advantage of someone's ignorance.

JohnDar

In many cases, if water has gotten into the wood, especially plywood, there will be swelling, separation of the plies, and sponginess in the area of damage. The edges are particularly susceptible to soaking up water. Take a close look at the flooring under your slides. If you can see the plywood edges, you need to get them covered before they go bad.

FL-JOE

Your pics of the drain vent look like that is okay. I suppose it could be stuck but they are easily replaced and cheap. Prior to me discovering the smell was actually a propane leak I replaced all three of mine with more expensive Oatey Sure-Vent air vents.

JohnDar

I don't think it's in the slide flooring, but will take a look. thanks.

I mentioned the slide floors because that was an area that Heartland, and others, left exposed and only painted black with what looked like a Magic Marker. There were numerous complaints about floor damage due to it. Reading about it, I had strips of aluminum angle flashing made up and covered the exposed edges on my slides.

As a “newbie,” my recommendation is to look at the various problems owners post and then take a look at your rig to see if similar conditions exist on yours so you can take preventative actions. And ask questions.

wdk450

I am thinking that anyone not in the drought areas of the West ought to keep dehumidifiers in their rigs as much as possible.

bigheart

Good suggestion to look into problems with certain rigs, thanks! so far, I've not found too many things which seem problematic, but in the videos I watch, it seems leaks are commonplace. Seems crazy that these rvs cannot be made better.

NYSUPstater

View attachment 66255
Ours is not like this at all. The white item (Studor Valve) is, ours has a cap instead. Plus, the black pipe on ours is loose. So if I p/u a Stupor Valve, do I just remove (somehow) the cap on ours, and replace it w/ the Studor? Then hand tighten the pipe back onto the drain pipe? Thread tape used as well??

jimcat

View attachment 66255
We have the same set up.. Heartland sent me this new style.. but what bothers me is the 4 inch pipe that comes with it. They say take off the old valve and slide the extension pipe in, glue it, then screw the new valve on the tube. It appears to me the new tube is the same diameter as what is installed now. I do not see how it will slide into it. E trailer says to cut toe old one off and then glue the new pipe on.. Where would once cut to make sure the new tube sits in someplace, so it will not leak once glued? Photo with the white top is the new one with the tube.. that tube does not look like it can fit into the old one.. the solid black piece photo

Attachments

• oem air admittance.jpg
    oem air admittance.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 19
  • air adminphoto.jpg
    air adminphoto.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

jmarnell

I would measure both pipes, old and new. If they are indeed the same size, you can go to a hardware store and get a connection joint that will join the two pieces of pipe together. They're usually about 2 or 3 inches long, and the inner diameter of the connection joint will be the same as the outer diameter of your pipes. Glue it all together and you should be good to go.

NYSUPstater

jimcat, we have the same valve (black one pictured) under the kitchen sink. No probs w/ that one. Looking at Lowes website, they show the same one for <$9 bucks and the Studor is $27 bucks. Was at 1 Lowes today and they didn't have any, so going to another one tmrw as I have to p/u something else as well. IMO, just goes to show how much factories care about us by not installing better quality ones in the 1st place.