My grandboys have birthdays coming up

Fox

One will be 6 and the other 10. Since age 6 I've often taken the older one out shooting (my Browning BL-22 lever gun) and the younger one is now counting down his days before live fire.
I've decided that the older one should then graduate - move on to something bigger. SO ... I've purchased this Youth Rossi .22LR / 410 shotgun.

I should have done this years ago - so as to lessen the physical damage that has been inflicted on my Brownings furniture.

Attachments

• 20200214_153020.jpg
    20200214_153020.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 52
  • BRZMP4111813Y22_4.jpg
    BRZMP4111813Y22_4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 42

Flick

One will be 6 and the other 10. Since age 6 I've often taken the older one out shooting (my Browning BL-22 lever gun) and the younger one is now counting down his days before live fire.
I've decided that the older one should then graduate - move on to something bigger. SO ... I've purchased this Youth Rossi .22LR / 410 shotgun.

I should have done this years ago - so as to lessen the physical damage that has been inflicted on my Brownings furniture.

Fox, I applaud you for teaching the boys what true gun sporting is all about. Those rifles are great choices. My dad taught me and never once did I ever have the urge to disappoint him by taking it behind his back.
I have a Henry .22 lever action repeating rifle I keep in my tractor here on the farm. It shoots Lr., L., or S.

Chrisandsama

My son started with a Rossi 20Ga and they are good guns for the money. I also love the fact that you are teaching them responsible ownership.

Fox

How about Great! for the money, $149; https://www.centerfireguns.com/rossi-410-22-yth-combo-blk-blk-mp4111813y22.html

I've already doubled that putting together ammo (.22LR / 410 target and game) and cleaning supplies; I'm still looking for a short (momma lockable) economical rifle case (35") to secure the gun (with both barrels). It's also time to teach the older one about cleaning a gun.

As their daddy died 4-5 years ago the responsibility has been gladly accepted by me.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I think it's a wonderful idea that you are taking care of these boys. They will grow up to be respectful of firearms and should become fine young men. I salute you sir.

Fox

This afternoon I found a cheap hard lockable rifle case (Academy / $20).
After I put a few rounds thru each barrel (to ensure function/ safety) it'll be ready for them.

Attachments

• 20200220_183019.jpg
    20200220_183019.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 23

Fox

Last Friday I relearned the old "you get what you pay for" story. The extractors on both barrels are binding - despite cleaning/ lube.
Next week I will attempt a more through cleaning (Brake Cleaner) and if that don't work move on to disassembly.

Even worse: online discussions are not giving Rossi much credit with their after the sales support.
In fairness there are many satisfied owners of this brand.

carl.swoyer

Last Friday I relearned the old "you get what you pay for" story. The extractors on both barrels are binding - despite cleaning/ lube.
Next week I will attempt a more through cleaning (Brake Cleaner) and if that don't work move on to disassembly.

Even worse: online discussions are not giving Rossi much credit with their after the sales support.
In fairness there are many satisfied owners of this brand.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgEEAU&usg=AOvVaw02lR2u8gMzyZfQ6iDiwZbO

I've used this before and it works pretty well

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Fox

Looks like I failed to update. The first and second cleanings/ test firing didn't go well. The third time was much improved but still somewhat problematic.
While not perfect by the fourth time things had greatly improved.

At $149 I'm now pleased with it; come birthdays I'm sure the two boys will have huge grins.

Fox

As this small/ lightweight 410 still has quite a kick I've been unable to find a padded left handed shooters vest for a 50 pound kid.
Any helpful links would be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
As this small/ lightweight 410 still has quite a kick I've been unable to find a padded left handed shooters vest for a 50 pound kid.
You can get a slip on recoil pad. They come in different sizes. EBay
If your grandson has not shot it yet you might want to hold off. My grandsons were actually quite proud of their bruised shoulders after shooting their first round of sporting clays using a 20 guage Lol.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Check out LimbSaver butt pads. They make them in different sizes to fit most stocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fox

I'm aware of those type products (thank you) but would need to see if the gun still fits (two tiny boys) after adding an inch or so to the length.
Plus I think he'd enjoy a (ARMY) vest.

Fox

We recently had the two boys for a week. Both thoroughly loved the .22LR; the older one shot three 410 rounds (with a limbsaver installed) and that was enough. I'm sure as time goes on his ego will lead him to try it again.

The youngest took great pride when I nicknamed him Deadeye, he even wrote his final school report about that name.

Once their momma saw how comfortable (and safe) they were with it she allowed it to travel home under her care - where she'll supervise them shooting it at home (30 acres of woods).

Now we're hoping to get (spoil) the grand daughter for a week, maybe Memorial Day.

'Lil Guy'

Are you using the 2 1/2 410 loads? Less recoil but should be a jolt to a 10 yr old on a light gun. If you're throwing clays, they won't realize it as much as aiming at a tin can on the ground or target. Anyway, way to go Grandpa.

Fox

Yes, the lightest 410 loads available. And no, way too early to start swinging a loaded gun around; clays on an earthen embankment / only 20' away.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just a note of endorsement on the LimbSaver pad. The first time I shot my Mossberg 590, it only had a thin pad on the collapsible stock, and I had 3” shells. Ouchie is an understatement. Put the LimbSaver on it and now it’s fun to shoot (and I sissified down to 2 3/4” shells).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox

Years ago I had a Mossburg 835? and some 3.5 shells. I shot several of them - donated the remainder to the new owner of that shotgun.
Now I flinch on the 3" shells in my Benelli's (M2); if I was to purchase today it'd be a 20 ga.
Home defense only.

TXgearhead

We recently had the two boys for a week. Both thoroughly loved the .22LR; the older one shot three 410 rounds (with a limbsaver installed) and that was enough. I'm sure as time goes on his ego will lead him to try it again.

The youngest took great pride when I nicknamed him Deadeye, he even wrote his final school report about that name.

Once their momma saw how comfortable (and safe) they were with it she allowed it to travel home under her care - where she'll supervise them shooting it at home (30 acres of woods).

Now we're hoping to get (spoil) the grand daughter for a week, maybe Memorial Day.

I'd put money on the grand daughter out shooting the boys. It's that hand/eye coordination. Just me but I'd go with the 22 for quite a while before I took them to the 410.
I've got maybe 3 years before I get to do this.

Fox

I'd put money on the grand daughter out shooting the boys. It's that hand/eye coordination. Just me but I'd go with the 22 for quite a while before I took them to the 410.
I've got maybe 3 years before I get to do this.

Unlike the grand-boys she's got a daddy, it'll be his job to "learn her".
Additionally shes still too little, too young (4).