My Heartland experience

wiredog

My Heartland Road Warrior Experience thus far..

After an exhaustive search we came across the Road Warrior 427. We loved everything about it. We found a in stock unit in Alvarado Texas and made the purchase.

Arrived for our PDI, although we attempted to educate ourselves in hindsight we were lacking.

2/22/16 Since we didn't have a large enough tow vehicle we hired a third party to move the unit to a rv park 100 miles away. The move was uneventful and by the end of the day it was on the pad and hooked up.

We made it out a couple of times in the months of March and April for weekend stays. During this time we attempted to figure out everything about the trailer so when we purchased the new truck we wouldn't be overwhelmed with it all. During this time we rewired many of the coax ends that were faulty, no big deal but in doing so we had to cut the speaker cloth below the large tv to access these connections.

Fast forward to early May. We purchased a F350 DRW to tow the vehicle. Installed air bags, air compressor and of course a hitch. So we are ready for a road trip.

5/21/16 We have our first trip planned, its a short run really from the DFW area down to the Houston area. So we hook up and make the run. It was a little nerve racking but the trailer pulled just fine. Arrived and got it connected for the weekend. During our stay, it rained..

So this is our first time in the trailer during a rain event and it was eye opening. The entire kitchen floor was wet as well as the entry door area. We had towels out mopping it up. So we get outside after it let up and tried to understand what was going on to try and make a temporary repair. We thought it might be coming through the trash door so we caulked around the flange. Later that night when we got in the bed we found the mattress was wet where it was against the wall.

5/23/16 We get back after that trip and I immediately call the dealer to schedule a repair. I explain that water is coming inside with such quantity that I am concerned about the longevity of the unit. I am given a 6/8 appointment date. I get on the phone to try and find a covered storage unit. No availability anywhere in the DFW area. I locate a local storage and purchase a very large tarp at tractor supply to cover the unit.

6/8/16 I deliver the unit to the dealer, explain the situation and leave it with them

6/27/16 They called to inform me that during a leak test they found a large area over the large slide that was leaking. They identify that the roof of the slide is bowed inward and the water is coming in at that point. I told them that I was unsure as to exactly where it was entering but it was ponding in the kitchen.living area.

6/27,28 The dealer contacts Heartland about a possible repair procedure.

7/8/16 Drove out to dealer to find out the status of repair. They inform me that the repair is beyond their abilities and they do not feel comfortable. The dealer is instructed to reach out to a third party for the estimate of repairs.

7/21/16 So we finally have an estimate of repair to Heartland finally. Heartland rejects it and request that the dealer source a second estimate.

7/26/16 Heartland is provided a second estimate.

8/3/16 Heartland informs the dealer that they are still not satisfied with the estimate and would like to pick up the unit for repairs. The dealer calls and informs me of such.

8/5/16 The dealer calls me to sign a release from Heartland . Part of the release was to clear the unit out. So I spend the next two unplanned hours in 100 degree temps unloading. After doing such the dealer and myself make a complete list of defective items. Part of our discovery was the subfloor in the unit. Utilizing a moisture meter we find levels from 18-37%. The other areas of the unit would register about 6-7%

This is a problem. With the bottom of the subfloor wrapped in that foil and the top in floor covering there is no way for the moisture to dry. I suspect that the joints are swollen and the integrity of the floor is compromised, unless this is a marine grade plywood or another material designed to be in direct contact with elevated moisture levels for extended periods of time.

Not only is the subfloor saturated the bottom of the cabinets are deformed and chipping. Appears to me MDF.

8/9/16 Heartland picks up the unit for repair.

8/13/16 No idea of repair time, etc…

So lets recap..

Purchase rv…………………………………………............…$ xx,xxx.xx
Purchase truck…………………………………..........……..$ xx,xxx.xx
Purchase toy for hauler (that will fit)………………..$ xx,xxx.xx
Everything else………………………………...........………$ x,xxx.xx

Total……………………………………………….............…….$ xxx,xxx.xx

3 months in my possession
3 months and counting not in my possession.

Entire summer missed.

Where it goes from here, we will see. I have been patient throughout this process. “Stuff” happens, I get it.

Ball and expectations are in Heartlands court. I want the unit back, repaired and whole.

Give me and my family back the excitement we had 6 short months ago.

Last edited:

Pirana

its unbelievable that the RV industry is pretty much unregulated and will screw their customers so much. Its ridiculous to me that they basically are given free ride for repairs that shouldnt even be needed on a new unit. If the auto industry was this unregulated we would have WW3.

kowAlski631

its unbelievable that the RV industry is pretty much unregulated and will screw their customers so much. Its ridiculous to me that they basically are given free ride for repairs that shouldnt even be needed on a new unit. If the auto industry was this unregulated we would have WW3.

Hard to believe that quality has gone down so much since we got our BH.

Pirana

exactly, had a KZ Spree for 7 years without a problem...now I'm in line for repairs and only 6 months of ownership.

wiredog

Well I see this has been moved to the RV service experience subforum, which it is not.

This is a manufacturers defect.

The unit was defective from the factory and its a dealer issue?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re-read the header at the top of the thread. It also says "my heartland experience" So your covered.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had my go-arounds with Heartland with our previous Trail Runner . . . although my dealership for that trailer was less than stellar.

With our Prowler, it was the dealership I've had my issues with.

Even though the Prowler is now officially out of warranty, we still have a few unfinished issues that are still in the works that the dealership just can't seem to fix, although now the dealer is dragging their feet even more!

I just spent the better part of an afternoon while camping re-fixing something that the dealership supposedly fixed twice (have to be at a campground to see if this works or not).

From now on, whenever we buy a new RV, I will not rely on the dealership for anything except getting me the RV!

After I pick it up they will never see me again.

donr827

I think that a lot of the problems we run into with a new trailer has to do with the way the dealer did the PDI. When I purchased my last trailer I paid a little more because I knew the way they do PDI. Also it is up to the buyer to spend as much time as needed to do their own PDI. Do not rush through a walk through when the person who does it explains how things work. Ask a lot of questions.
Don

wiredog

I think that a lot of the problems we run into with a new trailer has to do with the way the dealer did the PDI. When I purchased my last trailer I paid a little more because I knew the way they do PDI. Also it is up to the buyer to spend as much time as needed to do their own PDI. Do not rush through a walk through when the person who does it explains how things work. Ask a lot of questions.
Don

Only a couple of minor issues would have been resolved like the coaxial terminations. Unless the dealers are willing to perform a leak test at PDI I dont know how you would know the unit leaks?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
That's part of them doing the inspection when the trailer arrives from the plant. HL pays them for both PDI inspections. They don't do them on the dealers dime.

wiredog

Maybe so,
I'm not an expert on dealer to manufacturer agreements.

Whatever the case, its taking on water like the SS Minnow and I'm feeling a lot like Wrongway Feldman

wiredog

A couple of times during the getting multiple estimates exchange, not since they took the unit back for repair.

kowAlski631

A couple of times during the getting multiple estimates exchange, not since they took the unit back for repair.

They took it to the factory for repairs when? Do you know when it was picked up? Know it's frustrating. Hope it gets fixed quickly.