My Obserations after a week in our new 3585, or 2007 vs 2011 Bighorn - Sort of a Review

aquiring signal

We've been full-timing since 2006 & recently traded our 2008 Bighorn 3670RL for a 2011 Bighorn 3585RL. After a week in the new coach, I have to say that most of the changes Heartland has made (materials, design & components) in those few model years have mostly been improvements in my opinion. I decided to post this here as it may be useful info to anyone considering a new coach.

Ceiling panels - The new interior ceiling surface is a smooth semi-glossy surface with a leather-like grain to it. Maybe it's vinyl. The old ceiling was flat white in color with a textured/stippled surface. I like the new one better I have to say.

Wall covering - the color & pattern is slightly different. I liked the old one fine, but I think I love the new.

Cabinets & woodwork - The Oak was nice, but we welcome the Royal Maple. It looks good and we were ready for a change.

Decor - Mary likes the new Royal Maple cabinets and the color scheme of everything. I especially like the color (black & brown) & design (curved backs, bottom to top) of the new dinette chairs. The trim around the slide-out rooms & the bed headboard looks higher quality in the new rig.

Recliners & couch - ultra leather is fine so far. The cushions are much firmer than the old furniture. Maybe they just aren't broken in yet. I find my new chair more comfortable than my old one.

Guest bed - the air mattress now has it's own integral rip proof bag that in attached to the couch frame via velcro straps. It sits right behind the couch back. You fold it down, unzip, flop the mattress out & plug it in & inflate. they also changed to it 120 volt or 12 volt so you can inflate on the road without shore power. Now the blankets & pillows can stay in the lower drawer & the mattress will be closer to where it will be used. An improvement for sure.

Hydraulic front landing gear. Wow, I can't say enough about it. SO much better, faster, smoother, & quieter than the old electric system. I can lift that trailer off the truck in seconds. It feels very powerful, too.

Kitchen sink - now stainless steel. Mary was always working hard to keep that white one we had clean. Also the boutique faucet is big, tall, operates smoothly with neat control lever. I like it.

The toilet - the old one said Sealand on it. This one is a Dometic. The new one is 10 times better. On the old one you stepped down to flush and had to pull up (hard) on the pedal to fill. The new one you step all the way down to flush, and slightly down to fill. the pedal operates with a very light touch. Much, much easier. And the water fills in a swirling motion from the top rim of the bowl, more like a residential unit. A definite improvement.

Bathroom sink - this I think is one area that is a step backwards. The old one was a porcelain or ceramic sink that came up over the counter top. The new one in clamped below the counter top. Though it is better that there is no sink edge lip, it seems to now be made of plastic or some composite material. Not high gloss ceramic like before. This may be one of the only steps backwards I've seen.

Shower - the seat is gone. It's good & bad. there's definitely more floor space now, which I like, but Mary liked the seat. I think it can be resolved by adding a water proof folding seat in there. Our old shower door had a towel bar, that's gone. I miss it. Perhaps I'll order one from a 2008 & install it myself.

Under-bed storage - Our 2008 had a hydraulic bedroom slide & a hydraulic ram beneath the bed meant shallow storage. The new bedroom slide is electric so the under-bed space is unencumbered. Nice.

Laundry Closet - this is a great improvement that I think came out the year after we got our 2008. The washer in the main closet was terrible. This is how it needs to be. (but they forgot to put a light in the laundry closet. Oops.) The louver doors are a nice touch.

TV - going from 32" to 42" is a 74% increase in screen area. WOW. And now it's on a swivel mount & adjustable. It has several HDMI inputs as well as USB. (But the lower horizontal hat-section bracket of the swivel mount does block a few of the inputs on the back. I can correct that.) The old one had one HDMI input and zero USB ports. Obstructed ports are better than no ports. And we went from a brand I've never heard of (Olevia?) to a Sharp.

Tires & wheels - no change. Same wheels, same Goodyear G614 tires. I like them.

Exterior baggage/propane doors - now a little thicker & more rigid, I think. Perhaps the new "slam latches" require a thicker door. The new doors are 1 1/4" thick, I think the old doors were 1". This along with the gas struts to hold the doors open is a great improvement.

Exterior surface - The gel coat on the old unit was glossy & smooth & straight/flat. The new one is glossy and smooth, but a bit wavy. I was told this change was made because spider-web cracks were forming in the thicker gelcoat of the older models. I have to say that in 3 1/2 years we had not (yet) had that problem on our 2008, but if the new finish is truly more trouble free and long lasting, I can live with it.

Suspension - went from Lippert axles to Dexter "never lube" axles and better brakes. Also better suspension (mor-ryde, I think). I did notice that the distance between the two axles is a few inches larger than the last rig. I noticed then I was chocking the wheels that space between each forward & rear tire is a bit larger.

Floor plan - it feels more open. Partly because of the wider staircase, but mostly because the entertainment area slide out & the kitchen slide out have been combined into one. it really opens the place up. Now that Mary can see the TV easily from the kitchen, I won't have to pause the TV when she wants to be in the kitchen. More room in the bedroom. The laundry room with its own doors is a vast improvement. The bathroom appears to be a tiny bit smaller. I think the old one was rectangular but to make the new floorplan work it looks like they chamfered the room corners. What was lost is minimal.

Features - here are a few things we did not have in the 2008 that are improvements - power cord reel, double refrigerator, keyless entry, drawers in stairs, electric awning, dual zone air conditioning with programmable thermostat, exterior speakers.

In summary, I think Heartland made a great coach in 2008 and has made several improvements since then and I hope that continues for years to come. If you are considering a new Heartland 5th wheel, I think you will be happy with your decision to move up in model year. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for your report. Every time we walk into a new Bighorn I get pretty nervous. It's just not in the budget. We have no payments,:) don't want payments:p and can't afford to do it without payments.:eek:

Even if I could buy one, the thought of going through all that we have done to make our existing one our own is pretty scary.
I like it, it ain't broke.

Now, if it burns down on the other hand, my insurance will take care of a new one. :):):)

jbeletti

Jon,

Congratulations on the new Bighorn and thank you for such a detailed comparison and review. Thank you also for your fairness. I have passed this to Kary K so he knows how you feel and can consider the opportunities you point out.

Happy camping Jon and Mary,

Jim

FARMER45

WE PICKED UP OUR NEW BH 3585rl THE FIRST WEEK OF FEB. IT DID NOT HAVE A SWIVEL TV MOUNT IN LIVING ROOM, I ADDED ONE. I GUESS THEY HAVE ALREADY MADE THAT MUCH NEEDED CHANGE IN LAST 30 DAYS
IF THEY WOULD PUT THE LIVING ROOM AND KITCHEN LIGHT SWITCHES ON THE WALL, OUTSIDE THE COAT CLOSET , MAKE IT SO YOU COULD CHANGE PLACES WITH LIVING ROOM CHAIRS AND COUCH, PUT A EXAUST FAN SWITCH IN BATHROOM THAT COULD BE REACHED WHEN SEATED
IT WOULD BE ABOUT AS GOOD OF TRAILER AS IT COULD BE. I ALSO ADDED A FANTASTIC FAN IN BATHROOM ITS REAL QUIET
WE HAVE SPENT A WEEK IN OURS CANT WAIT TO GO AGAIN, LOVE IT!!!

boatdoc

Thanks for your report. Every time we walk into a new Bighorn I get pretty nervous. It's just not in the budget. We have no payments,:) don't want payments:p and can't afford to do it without payments.:eek:

Even if I could buy one, the thought of going through all that we have done to make our existing one our own is pretty scary.
I like it, it ain't broke.

Now, if it burns down on the other hand, my insurance will take care of a new one. :):):)

Ray, We know how you feel. I just love the 3585, Diana likes it also but she keeps on reminding me one of it's "other" improvements is a payment, dangit.

aquiring signal

WE PICKED UP OUR NEW BH 3585rl THE FIRST WEEK OF FEB. IT DID NOT HAVE A SWIVEL TV MOUNT IN LIVING ROOM, I ADDED ONE. I GUESS THEY HAVE ALREADY MADE THAT MUCH NEEDED CHANGE IN LAST 30 DAYS
IF THEY WOULD PUT THE LIVING ROOM AND KITCHEN LIGHT SWITCHES ON THE WALL, OUTSIDE THE COAT CLOSET , MAKE IT SO YOU COULD CHANGE PLACES WITH LIVING ROOM CHAIRS AND COUCH, PUT A EXAUST FAN SWITCH IN BATHROOM THAT COULD BE REACHED WHEN SEATED
IT WOULD BE ABOUT AS GOOD OF TRAILER AS IT COULD BE. I ALSO ADDED A FANTASTIC FAN IN BATHROOM ITS REAL QUIET
WE HAVE SPENT A WEEK IN OURS CANT WAIT TO GO AGAIN, LOVE IT!!!

The TV swivel was installed by the dealer. When we ordered the coach, they told me they offer to put them on most units.

I agree with you 100% on the light switches inside the cabinet. I didn't mention it because it was that same way on the old trailer, too. But now that you mention it, I hate it & think it's ridiculous & I plan to relocate them. Have you ever in your life been in a house where you had to open a cabinet every morning & night to get to the main room light switches?

FARMER45

Did you change them in your old rig?? I would like to know how to go about it if you do it some time
for some reason i seem to be geting better mileage, pulling this trailer, even though its heaver, than i did with my old s o b

DRGalligher

Nice post Jon and Mary. We have a 2011 3055RL and have everything you mentioned with a few differences -

Bathroom sink is china with a rim.

We don't have the double door fridge but I believe that only comes with the bigger models, like yours.

We have Cherry wood cabinets.

We too don't have the seat in the shower but that's ok.

We don't have the power cord reel, but that's ok. I bet it's nice though because that cord is heavy.

Our slides, including the bedroom, are hydraulic so we have that shallow under bed storage not much good for anything but a new extra blankets or magazines, etc.

You forgot to mention the vacuum system. That's new to us since this is our first Bighorn. Love it for the kitchen floor.

Yes, definitely love the storage in the steps and the pantry surrounding my fridge - lots of room. Great unit.

There is a current thread going at RV.net on comparing Montana's to Bighorns and 95% recommend the Bighorns.

aquiring signal

Did you change them in your old rig?? I would like to know how to go about it if you do it some time
for some reason i seem to be geting better mileage, pulling this trailer, even though its heaver, than i did with my old s o b

I didn't change the switches in the old trailer. It looks like it'll be easier to relocate the ones on the 3585 than on the 3670. I'm thinking of putting them on the left hand side of the closet above the thermostat & fantastic fan control.

aquiring signal

Nice post Jon and Mary. We have a 2011 3055RL and have everything you mentioned with a few differences -

Bathroom sink is china with a rim.

We don't have the double door fridge but I believe that only comes with the bigger models, like yours.

We have Cherry wood cabinets.

We too don't have the seat in the shower but that's ok.

We don't have the power cord reel, but that's ok. I bet it's nice though because that cord is heavy.

Our slides, including the bedroom, are hydraulic so we have that shallow under bed storage not much good for anything but a new extra blankets or magazines, etc.

You forgot to mention the vacuum system. That's new to us since this is our first Bighorn. Love it for the kitchen floor.

Yes, definitely love the storage in the steps and the pantry surrounding my fridge - lots of room. Great unit.

There is a current thread going at RV.net on comparing Montana's to Bighorns and 95% recommend the Bighorns.

Thanks, I'll check out that thread you mentioned.

The central vacuum systems on the '08 3670 & the '11 3585 are pretty much the same. We were happy with it. Many things we were happy with on the old trailer didn't change on the new coach including the furnace, water heater, bathroom faucet, dining room light, basement flooring, circuit breaker/fuse panel, rear stabilizers, docking station, etc.

Firerad1

Thank you for the write-up. We have been looking at the 3585rl for some time now as the perfect 5th wheel. After many hours reading yours and other contributors on this site it's becoming very clear that we are on the right path. We have gleemed a tremendous amount of information from owners like you. Originally we planned on buying off a lot but have realized it's probably worth the wait to order the Bighorn 3585rl with the options we want.

Self leveling, dual panes, axles, tires, wheels, brakes, we all features we knew little about. We spend about 3-4 months a year RVing with very little storage, and have decided to make the transition to a Bighorn for our first 5th wheel. Looking forward to full-timing and visiting with contributors like you in the Heartland community in the near future.

Now we just need to find a dealer. We're prepared to drive to Knoxville to pick up our unit, but would be happy to find a dealer in the Western US that will work with us like Dave Smith does when I buy another truck.

Daryl, Vicki and Bodie

jimtoo

Hi Daryl, Vicki and Bodie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family we hope. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Add all the options you can... it will be worth it. You will love your Big Horn,,, the 3585 is a really nice unit.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Daryl & Vicki, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. I'm betting Bodie would really like a new 5th wheel. I see you are from Kalispell. We vacationed there quite a few years ago. I can't remember where we stayed but we had a bike with us and did a lot of riding in the area. Wow! What a great riding area.
Enjoy the forum and we hope you join us as owners soon.

aquiring signal

Thank you for the write-up. We have been looking at the 3585rl for some time now as the perfect 5th wheel. After many hours reading yours and other contributors on this site it's becoming very clear that we are on the right path. We have gleemed a tremendous amount of information from owners like you. Originally we planned on buying off a lot but have realized it's probably worth the wait to order the Bighorn 3585rl with the options we want.

Self leveling, dual panes, axles, tires, wheels, brakes, we all features we knew little about. We spend about 3-4 months a year RVing with very little storage, and have decided to make the transition to a Bighorn for our first 5th wheel. Looking forward to full-timing and visiting with contributors like you in the Heartland community in the near future.

Now we just need to find a dealer. We're prepared to drive to Knoxville to pick up our unit, but would be happy to find a dealer in the Western US that will work with us like Dave Smith does when I buy another truck.

Daryl, Vicki and Bodie

We bought our 1st 5th wheel at an RV show in CA, the 2nd off a dealer lot in MD and ordered our current one from a dealer in KS. Buying from inventory is good because "what you see is what you get". If you can wait, I still think ordering is the way to go, but with several mid year factory changes, the one we ordered was much different from the models on dealer lots at the time we ordered. It sounds like you are doing your homework, so I think you'll be fine. Maybe you should start a thread asking for suggestions on a dealer in the city/state you wish to purchase. Good luck!

funntheson

Daryl, Vicki and Bodie

We ordered our 3585 fromGiant RV in Southern California. They also have some units on their lots. We really liked our salesperson. Let me know if you would like the contact information.

Larry

aquiring signal

Could you please find out what brand and model of swivel mount that they used for your tv? Pictures would be great as well.

Thanks.
Larry

I don't know if I would even recommend the one I have since I think there may be better ones (with a bit more reach) available. Since they offered to include a swivel mount & installation in the deal, I went with the one they chose, and it's okay, but I would not be surprised if you can do better.

But I did call the dealer & the two guys who would probably know how to find what make & model TV mount they used were not available. (one was with a customer, the other out of town). The person I spoke with said they'd call me back if/when they can figure it out though. They also said they get them at Wal-Mart or Best Buy. I can get pictures for you & more info if/when I get it.

FARMER45

I bought the one i installed myself at sams club,y the had two sizes i bought the one with two arms, it clamed it would hold 150 lbs.
It is a double arm model. I put some straps to hold it in place when on the road like the ones on the bedroom tv. Simple and works great