Need advice on choosing a satellite

MagnoliaTom

I’m sure this has probably been discussed before but I’ll ask....

Well the time has come that the DW wants satellite for the trailer. I’m trying to decide which to buy. I have directv at home. Here’s what I’m considering

King domed automatic satellite KING Quest Fully Automatic Portable Satellite for DirecTV - RV Satellite Systems - Electronics

Pros: easy setup, automatically finds the signal, can have 2 TVs on one dish, small, can be mounted to RV if I choose

Cons: only SD, expensive, need to buy a receiver box

Tripod mounted SWM satellite DIRECTV SWiM HDTV Satellite Dish Tripod Kit for RV / Mobile / Portable - Satellite Oasis

Pros: cheap, can have multiple TVs, HD channels, can use receivers from home

Cons: big, more difficult setup, cannot be mounted to RV

So, can those of you with any experience with either variety give me your opinion on your setup? I don’t want to spend the $$$ for the traveler setup, so these were my two budget options.

I’m leaning towards the tripod version (I would like to use the money saved on other stuff )

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Though we have Dish, we chose the King portable/mountable satellite. Works great for us. Mounted it on the ladder but can be removed in minutes if needed.

34tbt3r.jpg

MagnoliaTom

Though we have Dish, we chose the King portable/mountable satellite. Works great for us. Mounted it on the ladder but can be removed in minutes if needed.

34tbt3r.jpg

If I already had dish, I’d probably do the same but directv doesn’t seem to be as RV friendly. Maybe I’m just over thinking it

jnbhobe

I carry the tripod have for years and always works when we need it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I like you have DTV in the house. I chose to get a dish on a tripod. I got the dish free as there are plenty around and people want to get rid of them free or cheap. So my only expense was the tripod, power inserter, satellite signal splitter and some coax.
I know that some people have had a lot of issues getting the signal, but I gotta tell you that if you follow directions that come with the tripod and mast for first time set up, finding the satellites there after is a breeze. And, with the help of my wife there is no need for an expensive signal meter.
For the con side of storage there, or at least was, a mount available so that you can travel with your dish attached to your ladder so the only inside storage is the tripod.
You can find everything you need right here.

Peace
Dave

MagnoliaTom

I like you have DTV in the house. I chose to get a dish on a tripod. I got the dish free as there are plenty around and people want to get rid of them free or cheap. So my only expense was the tripod, power inserter, satellite signal splitter and some coax.
I know that some people have had a lot of issues getting the signal, but I gotta tell you that if you follow directions that come with the tripod and mast for first time set up, finding the satellites there after is a breeze. And, with the help of my wife there is no need for an expensive signal meter.
For the con side of storage there, or at least was, a mount available so that you can travel with your dish attached to your ladder so the only inside storage is the tripod.
You can find everything you need right here.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave!

Gaffer

There are markets where you need HD to get local channels with direct. I wouldn't get an auto carryout for direct. I use direct on a tripod and have no problem with set-up. There are times when a roof mount won't work because of trees but you can move a tripod to get better reception. I usually take time before leaving home to set the elevation and skew so that when the tripod is plumb and lever, all I need to do is set the compass direction.

MagnoliaTom

There are markets where you need HD to get local channels with direct. I wouldn't get an auto carryout for direct. I use direct on a tripod and have no problem with set-up. There are times when a roof mount won't work because of trees but you can move a tripod to get better reception. I usually take time before leaving home to set the elevation and skew so that when the tripod is plumb and lever, all I need to do is set the compass direction.

Thanks for the tip! I think from the feedback so far the tripod mount is the way to go, even with the added “work” to set it up.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We used a Winegard Carryout (dome) antenna with Dish network for several years with great service. We could get HD service where available for locals but last year when we bought the new Landmark with three televisions, we converted to the Traveler automatic rooftop antenna and love it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My only advice on satellite TV is to be sure you have a clear view of the southern sky. If you camp in the trees, you may find you can't get a signal. It gets harder to locate the arc in the southern sky the further north you are (along with the trees). We had the DISH service, using a GM1518 automatic antenna and the ViP 211K receiver. It worked well for a couple of seasons until some of the trees to our south grew some and the small opening I was picking a satellite through got closed up by leaves. Unfortunately, the offending trees are off the CG property so not much can be done with them.

So, we discontinued the service and the gear sits in our basement at home.

carl.swoyer

I’m sure this has probably been discussed before but I’ll ask....

Well the time has come that the DW wants satellite for the trailer. I’m trying to decide which to buy. I have directv at home. Here’s what I’m considering

King domed automatic satellite KING Quest Fully Automatic Portable Satellite for DirecTV - RV Satellite Systems - Electronics

Pros: easy setup, automatically finds the signal, can have 2 TVs on one dish, small, can be mounted to RV if I choose

Cons: only SD, expensive, need to buy a receiver box

Tripod mounted SWM satellite DIRECTV SWiM HDTV Satellite Dish Tripod Kit for RV / Mobile / Portable - Satellite Oasis

Pros: cheap, can have multiple TVs, HD channels, can use receivers from home

Cons: big, more difficult setup, cannot be mounted to RV

So, can those of you with any experience with either variety give me your opinion on your setup? I don’t want to spend the $$$ for the traveler setup, so these were my two budget options.

I’m leaning towards the tripod version (I would like to use the money saved on other stuff )

Thanks

We have direct TV at our house. We simply remove the box from our home and take it with us. Been doing this for 11 years. I use my Wingard in motion satilite as a carry-out. No RV package required. I use about 60 feet of coax when required to get a clear shot at the sky. I have a second Wingard in motion that I'll be installing on the roof.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

We had a space at a state campground in Oregon and simply could not get satellite reception on our Wingard carryout. Best 2 weeks of camping ever. But as reality returned, I ended up putting up a Travel'r. But I have learned it's not the end if I have to go a bit without TV.

carl.swoyer

We had a space at a state campground in Oregon and simply could not get satellite reception on our Wingard carryout. Best 2 weeks of camping ever. But as reality returned, I ended up putting up a Travel'r. But I have learned it's not the end if I have to go a bit without TV.
Road junkie you are absolutely right

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We either watch DVD’s, stream a show the next day via my laptop, or just don’t watch anything. Dealing with OTA pixilation is too frustrating to turn on the TV otherwise. Don’t really miss it since there aren’t that many programs we actually like and they get recorded on the DVR at home.

carl.swoyer

We either watch DVD’s, stream a show the next day via my laptop, or just don’t watch anything. Dealing with OTA pixilation is too frustrating to turn on the TV otherwise. Don’t really miss it since there aren’t that many programs we actually like and they get recorded on the DVR at home.

John
We do DVDs as well.
We search the five dollars bin at Wally world. We probably have 200.

david-steph2018

Here is something funny ---- went to hook up the 211z receiver to the outside TV (wally for the inside tv). Well when we called Dish we were told can't activate the receiver because it was still listed on another person's account. The other individual bought the reciever at Camping World and returned it. Camping World just but it back on the shelf to resell, which we bought it. Didn't think anything about it when I opened the box and the batteries were in the remote already.

Can't really blame Camping World for the unit being listed on the other person's account still

So we had to take it back to Camping World and come to find out Camping World were out of the receiver so we have to wait until they get others in stock now.

I know only us will this happen to!!!!

Nightshifter

We use a dish network traveler roof mount automatic. I have three TVs hooked up to it ant it works great. We turn the service on and off by the month as needed.

pjones1969

We fought with the tripod versions for way too long, finally mounted a King Quest to the roof so it’s always wired and ready to go, we bought 2 boxes that we leave hooked up in the trailer.

By the time I hit auto-level, plug in the cord and extend the slides it’s ready to go. I’ve only removed it from the roof once because I couldn’t get a signal due to trees, we carry 2 extra coax cables for that scenario.

We don’t venture too far from home and never had an issue with not getting channels

A81422A7-902D-496A-85CF-D10A943DBD59.jpg

esscobra

had portable dish on ladder mount for 7 years - added second one to roof to be able to watch different channels on beroom tv-only 1 time did have to move to ground- ordered trvler automatic before ordering my bighorn - no more waiting , better signal - no more loss in rain- main, bedroom, and outdoor tv all work and different channels- year and a half and never had a spot that didn't work, been in a few state parks where I thought it wouldn't - but somehow got signal - once you see people moving and adjusting ti-pods you will understand- black Friday brings super deals and bought mine as cw had 400 off- best deal I had ever seen and had sat dish before trailer- so much happier- power on and by time trailer level and slides out tv working- another benefit is I already had dish network so its only a extra 7.00 pr month ea for he receiers in trailer and can turn on/off if not going to use -

RickL

After doing some research and reading the input of others I went with a tripod. After selling the S&B the directv tech told me to grab my old dish and home equipment. At first it took awhile to get it locked in, but now I setup my iPad on FaceTime towards the tv, go to the satellite strength program, then go outside and watch the tv on my iPhone until I see the greens bars. Seems to work good and now helps me setup in about 5 minutes or so.

The biggest reason for for me NOT to go with the travlr is trees. With the tripod and 100 ft of coax hopefully I can get around any trees.