Need "Electric Awning" troubleshooting help

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

We decided to go camping for spring break again. :D We had the trailer out a few weeks ago, and it worked fine.

Sadly, our awning is not working and I don't know how to troubleshoot it. If we push the button to extend the awning, nothing happens...no noise or anything. If we push the retract button, it makes a little sound, like a soft "thunk".

I checked the fuse, it's fine. I don't know if the issue is with the switch, the awning, or what.

Can anyone offer any tips or advice?

Thanks,
Chris

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Need troubleshooting help

Check the wiring at the switch, it may have dislodged. It is also possible that the motor has bit the dust. Mine died two months before the warranty ran out. Luckily it was retracted at the time.

wyleyrabbit

Check the wiring at the switch, it may have dislodged. It is also possible that the motor has bit the dust. Mine died two months before the warranty ran out. Luckily it was retracted at the time.

I'll try the switch. I hope that's it.

Dare I ask how much a new motor is?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Unfortunately, I don't know what it cost since it was replaced under warranty.

wdk450

If you have SOME motion in one direction only, that suggests a problem with the (forward-off-reverse) switch, since the wiring to the motor for both directions on a DC motor is normally just the same two wires, with the voltage polarity reversed by the switch.

RoadJunkie

If you feel confident, remove the switch from the wall and bypass by directly applying 12 volts (from a tested, fused, source) to the motor. This will directly test the motor.

wyleyrabbit

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the tips. I went to Dometic's website and found the installation manuals (http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/Customer-Support/Operation--Installation-Manuals/). Seems that the awning should have an "inline 15A fuse" on the wire. I took the switch off the wall, but didn't see any fuse on the wire. Anyone know where this inline fuse might be? I'm also curious why the fuse wouldn't be in the 12V fuse box, but none of the circuits there indicate anything about the awning.

I wonder if the issue is just a fuse problem.

Chris

1231ChaseB

I think there's 2 little studs at the motor housing that you can apply 12 volt directly to make it work ! See if you can see them and if so have a try with that !
chaseb

danemayer

I'm also curious why the fuse wouldn't be in the 12V fuse box, but none of the circuits there indicate anything about the awning.

In the original post you said:
I checked the fuse, it's fine.

I'm confused. What fuse did you check? Did you check all the fuses with an ohm meter or just look for a light that was on?

While there are lights next to each fuse, if the fuse is blown, the light only comes on if there's a load on the circuit, meaning you'd have to be holding the switch so the circuit is completed.

wyleyrabbit

In the original post you said:
I'm confused. What fuse did you check? Did you check all the fuses with an ohm meter or just look for a light that was on?

While there are lights next to each fuse, if the fuse is blown, the light only comes on if there's a load on the circuit, meaning you'd have to be holding the switch so the circuit is completed.

Good question. When I said, "I checked the fuse" I meant that I had a look through the vertical 12V blade-fuse panel. Nothing was lit up, so I presumed they were all okay. Oddly, none of those indicate anything to do with the awning.

The installation manual I found on Dometic's website seemed to indicate something about a 15A inline fuse on the power wire. If this is the case, I can't find the inline fuse (is it behind a wall, maybe? or in the basement somewhere?). All other 12V circuits seem to be working fine from what we can tell. If anyone might have seen one of these inline 15A fuses on the lines for the power awning, that would be helpful to know.

I'll have to dig out my volt meter and do some further troubleshooting.

danemayer

The manual may show an in-line fuse but they may leave it to the vendor to fuse it another way, like in the panel. Take another look at the lights on the fuse panel while holding the switch. You may get a different result.

wyleyrabbit

Update: It seems that the extra circuit fuse was indeed in the 12V fuse box, but was not labelled. There was simply an extra fuse in the box that was blown.

I replaced the fuse with another of the same amperage rating, but the awning still doesn't do anything. I'll have to try the "hook directly to 12V source for testing" part, but will need to get my hands on some wire and such. There are 4 wires going to the switch, white and green. Anyone know which ones I'm supposed to hook up to for this test?

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
If it is a Dometic awing un plug the motor up buy the awning tube an hot wire it to the batterie if the motor works it is the switch

wyleyrabbit

If it is a Dometic awing un plug the motor up buy the awning tube an hot wire it to the batterie if the motor works it is the switch

I climbed a ladder and had a look down the front awning tube, but it's in the closed position. Although I can see the wire, I don't think I can possibly reach down there to get at the connection.

Is there any way to manually extend the awning?

I really would like to be able to fix this myself if possible. I don't trust my dealership as far as I could throw the lot of them.

danemayer

Before taking the awning apart, have you checked for voltage at the switch? With the switch off, you should read 12V across the back. With the switch on, you should read 12V between either side of the switch and a good ground.

rolled up awning to head home , came back out to camper 3 days later can not get it to open, changed out fuse and switch... even tried pulling on arms while wife pushed the button, any ideas?

wyleyrabbit

An update for everyone.

Voltage at the switch was fine. Took the trailer out about a month ago. We had some hot/dry weather for a few weeks. Decided to give the awning another try, and...it works now. My best guess is that moisture somehow got in somewhere that it wasn't supposed to. That, or some gremlins got in there, messed things up, then other gremlins came by and fixed it.

With the awning extended, I stood on the back of my truck and re-tucked in all the wiring along the awning arm, then put some waterproof tape over anything that was exposed.

wyleyrabbit

rolled up awning to head home , came back out to camper 3 days later can not get it to open, changed out fuse and switch... even tried pulling on arms while wife pushed the button, any ideas?

Does yours make any sound at all when you push either side of the switch button?