Need help with measurements bad!!!

BrannonB

Hello all. We are getting ready to upgrade to a fifth wheel when our house closes. I'm about to go insane trying to figure out if my truck is too high for a fifth wheel. I have a 2006 F-250 lifted 6" with 37" tires. I have spoke with customer service reps and measured hitch heights and pin box heights, but I am still not sure about my math. I have made a illustration of my measurements. Does this look right to y'all? Keep in mind these are just estimates within 1-2"

Fifth wheel.jpg

wdk450

Can you make a wooden "L" or "U" shaped "caliper" out of maybe a 2x4 and some 2x2 trim strip long enough to slide under your truck and over the hitch to get an exact measurement?

Can you sit your trailer pin on a 4x4 fencepost and lower the landing gear to where they are just about to clear the ground, and measure the pin height?

mlpeloquin

You will need six inch clearance between the tung and the truck bed rails. I ran slightly high on my hitch vs flat. I had it weighed twice at two national rallies in Goshen, ID, and had the same weight on the front and rear axles. Obviously you maybe applying too much weight on the rear axle when running the front too much higher than level.

taskswap

I have a 2021 Ram 2500 and it is considerably higher (stock) than my F150 was. My "load floor" height (ground to bed) is 39". I'm told this is one of the taller "stock" trucks on the market.

I have a Curt A16 mounted on a Curt slider base. You can see the measurements here https://www.curtmfg.com/part/16521. This in turn is mounted on a Curt 16022 Ram Puck base. Dimensions at https://www.curtmfg.com/part/16022. The hitch head is adjustable and I have it at its lowest setting. With this configuration my hitch height is 58".

n.b. At this height, a BAK Revolver X4 fits just perfectly over everything. It has VERY thin rails, I think they're 3/16" or so tall. A good choice for max clearance to a trailer.

I have a Milestone 386BH. It comes with the Rotaflex hitch and I have it at the stock (highest) setting. At this height with no other adjustments I tow more or less level out of the box. When I do, I have about 2.5" of clearance between the fifth wheel and my bed rails. I have a Youtube video walking through this here

Hopefully you can piece together some answers from the measurements here. If it would help you I'd be happy to take some photos/measurements to give you additional data.

taskswap

Not sure why it says that video is unavailable but if you click the play button in the lower right you'll see it.

BrannonB

I have a 2021 Ram 2500 and it is considerably higher (stock) than my F150 was. My "load floor" height (ground to bed) is 39". I'm told this is one of the taller "stock" trucks on the market.

I have a Curt A16 mounted on a Curt slider base. You can see the measurements here https://www.curtmfg.com/part/16521. This in turn is mounted on a Curt 16022 Ram Puck base. Dimensions at https://www.curtmfg.com/part/16022. The hitch head is adjustable and I have it at its lowest setting. With this configuration my hitch height is 58".

n.b. At this height, a BAK Revolver X4 fits just perfectly over everything. It has VERY thin rails, I think they're 3/16" or so tall. A good choice for max clearance to a trailer.

I have a Milestone 386BH. It comes with the Rotaflex hitch and I have it at the stock (highest) setting. At this height with no other adjustments I tow more or less level out of the box. When I do, I have about 2.5" of clearance between the fifth wheel and my bed rails. I have a Youtube video walking through this here

Hopefully you can piece together some answers from the measurements here. If it would help you I'd be happy to take some photos/measurements to give you additional data.
Thanks, It seems like your truck measurements are really close to mine. 2.5" of bed clearance is cutting it kind of close isn't it? lol

BrannonB

Not sure why it says that video is unavailable but if you click the play button in the lower right you'll see it.
I clicked on the play button, but it took me to my YouTube home page. What is the video called and the channel name?

Nevermind, i was able to right click and copy the URL. That took me to your video.

Last edited:

taskswap

Sorry for the confusion. I have 9.5" clearance above my tonneau cover rails to the camper. I was cutting and pasting numbers from a notepad I keep and pasted the wrong one. :D

Attachments

• PXL_20210820_164529789.jpg
    PXL_20210820_164529789.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 10

centerline

I dont have a lift kit or oversized tires on my ram 3500 but because I have side rail tool boxes I need to have the front of the trailer higher than normal..

my hitch unladen sits at 5'1" from the ground, and the pin box on my bighorn 3055RL is mounted in the lowest holes possible so that the trailer overhang will be high enough to clear my side boxes by 7 inches.... it was impossible to do without some modification to the trailer, because as already mentioned, the rear axle will be taking all the weight due to the steep angle of the trailer frame....

the springs were already on top of the axles so it wasnt as easy as just "flipping the axles"........ what i did was remove the axles and build a subframe that is 5" high (3/16"X2"X5" rectangle tube) which brought the entire trailer up, aditionally, I mounted tall spring stands so that i could get the most spring end travel without hitting the frame when traveling over rough ground, because I travel off the beaten path a LOT.... and I have the equaflex equalizers...

this lifted the trailer 8.5 inches total, for a maximum height of 13ft 7in.... and the trailer still sets about 2 inches low at the axles, but fully acceptable for traveling without the suspension being out of whack.......

in the process of the modification, I added a 3rd axle to the trailer, AND built a removable platform on the rear of the trailer to haul my quads... when I built the subframe, I extended it all the way to the rear of the trailer, and installed receiver tubes on each subframe rail, and so the 8x8ft hauling platform just plugs in to the trailer.... the total length of the trailer, with the platform on is 44ft 5in.... when the platform is removed, its just a normal high setting 3055 model...

you may need to build and install a subframe as well, to get the trailer up high enough, but you wouldnt have to make it any longer than is necessary for the spring stands.....

it has been suggested that I post my modification on here, but just havent gotten to it yet....