Need help with truck tires

jpajax

Got a set of Michelin LT265-70R-17 ATS. This the second set I have had, problems with cracks around the rim of tire Michelin has agreed to replace but it has to be with either Michelin,BFG, or Uniroyal.Can't make up my little mind anybody had experience these tires. Have been looking at Michelin LTX-M/S-2 or LTX-AT/2 don't think that Uniroyal has my size. Have been on their web site just need some real life experience. Have two wheel drive so don't need a real agresive tread.:confused:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have always been a proponent of Michelin tires. Never had a bad one. When my tires were worn to the point I needed to replace them I went with
LT255 170R17El 121R W MICHELIN LTX M/S 2

If you look these up they have a wider tread, and higher heat resistance. They have a bit more road noise than the AT's I replaced but have been doing real well. One thing I found with these tires is that they pick up small gravel stones and will throw them as your on the road.

This is what I do.

BC

tmcran

I have Michelin's on my ranch truck and TV. I will use nothing else. I go over some very rough roads with sandstone, gravel and everything else. I have never had a Michelin tire damaged. The tread life is the best I have seen. I've tried Goodyear but the rubber is softer and the rocks cut chunks out of the tires. IMO Michelins...

Rickhansen

Jpajax,
I'd have to agree, I'd have the tendency to stick with Michelin too. I've owned all three brands, but had much better experiences with Michelin. Did you have the same problems with both sets of Michelins? It sounds like your tire dealer is the one making the offer to swap for the BFG's or Uniroyals. Michelin would only likely be offering a prorated replacement.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Absolutely Michelin.

IMHO Michelin is the best tire made for Autos and the M/S series is the best tire Michelin makes. The only thing I can fault the Michelin on, and it really isn't a problem that they have, is the M/S does not clean the tread very well in heavy mud applications. But then they dont claim it to be a heavy mud tread either. And yes, I do know that the M stands for mud.
With the two wheel drive GMC I had, going to the dump several times a weeks after the rain always resulted in me getting stuck. The tires would just slick over with mud and that would be that. I was thinking about trying a set of XPS Tractions but never did.

Still for load capicity and cost per mile-Michelin. You probably know this already Jim, but TireRack .com has a great compairson load chart on tires along with place of origin. The Michelins I run are made right here in Greenville SC USA.

jnbhobe

Of the three you have a choise of I would definitly go with the Michlein. The only problem I have is up here in Pa. The rubber compound gets hard after the first year and the tire gets slippery on the tar strips in the cold. But they are a great tire for wear.

jpajax

Again thanks for all the replies. It was Michelin that offered the replacement with BFG or Uniroyal but from what I could find on web Uniroyal does not have my size. The two thing I am concerned about is the more aggressive tread holding up to the weight and the compound being to hard causing it not to be good on wet pavement. The tire I have now will not go on a morning with a heavy dew much less on grass. From past experience BFG have good traction but don't last as long with with a load. So I guess I will be going back to Michelin but will have to decide what tread and stile. Thanks Larry for your response that was another question, how does it look on 2 wheel drive trucks?

Bobby A

I will be in the market also for truck tires in a few weeks, someone on this forum recomeded the Nitto Dura-Grappler, I guess the weight rating on these tires are 3550 lbs at 80psi and all the other tires are rated at 3150 or so, I gotta do a little more homework on these tires but it does have my attention because of the heavier load rating. Not to take over this thread but if anyone having input on these tires please post.

SilverRhino

I have always been a proponent of Michelin tires. Never had a bad one. When my tires were worn to the point I needed to replace them I went with
LT255 170R17El 121R W MICHELIN LTX M/S 2

If you look these up they have a wider tread, and higher heat resistance. They have a bit more road noise than the AT's I replaced but have been doing real well. One thing I found with these tires is that they pick up small gravel stones and will throw them as your on the road.

This is what I do.

BC

I agree with BC....Just replaced all 6 tires on the Dodge with the same tire.....I agree....they really do seem to pick up the small stones and gravel!! The last set of older generation MS tires did not seem to do that. My DW just shakes her head when I pass the truck and stop and pick the stones out of the tires...I've always had that habit, just have to do it more frequently now!

As far as noise, I really don't notice much road noise....but the CTD & it's 5" exhaust hide most road noises!

Travel Safe!

lwmcguir

We are going back with Michelin's on the 17 inch and G series all steel on the 19.5 wheels. Have had good luck with the Michelin's and the Goodyears so far.

Detmer

You might want to check out Cooper tires. I have Cooper Discoverer H/T's on my truck and like them very much. I have a little over 40k on them now and still have some more left to go. They have a very nice ride. They are also a bit cheaper than Michelin's.
I will probably replace them this fall and will decide then whether to stay with the Coopers or go back to the Michelins.

jpajax

Well I think I have final decided on the tire it is LTX-MS/2 it is their top of the line will see how it holds up. Can not say enough about how Michelin handled this claim. You all have a nice day and thanks for your help.Your Redneck Buddy Jimbob

Last edited:

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I went to the AT2 series and absolutely love the ride and handling. I have tried BFG & Goodyear but have switched to the michs on the last several trucks.

aquiring signal

I will be in the market also for truck tires in a few weeks, someone on this forum recomeded the Nitto Dura-Grappler, I guess the weight rating on these tires are 3550 lbs at 80psi and all the other tires are rated at 3150 or so, I gotta do a little more homework on these tires but it does have my attention because of the heavier load rating. Not to take over this thread but if anyone having input on these tires please post.

If you are towing a heavy 5th wheel trailer with a single rear wheel truck on 17" wheels, I recommend the Nitto Dura Grapplers. The 285s fit nicely and are rated for 3750 lbs per tire at 80 psi while the Michelins and many other brands are only rated for 3195 lbs. Like some of you, I would prefer to buy Michelins, but I want the largest margin of safety I can get without getting different wheels.