Nest Thermostat Replacing Dometic, Possible?

Hi All!

My Wife and I are new Full Timers! We purchased a Big Country 4010RD and are so far loving it (Since 9/17/2015).

I own a Nest Thermostat from my old house and was wondering if it was possible to switch the Dometic Thermostat for it.

I checked the wires and it looks like it should, but before I started wrenching around, I was wondering if anyone had any input. I could not find any threads regarding the Nest specifically.

Thank you!

-LD

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love out Nest thermostat for our house. The problem with the RV is keeping a wifi signal on all the time. Most park wifi is not reliable enough for that and the mi-fi would eat up all your data. If you are not trying to remotely access it it would probable work but keep in mind if your RV is like ours you have a 2 zone thermostat. Don't know if the Nest can handle that.

Mburtsvt

We love out Nest thermostat for our house. The problem with the RV is keeping a wifi signal on all the time. Most park wifi is not reliable enough for that and the mi-fi would eat up all your data. If you are not trying to remotely access it it would probable work but keep in mind if your RV is like ours you have a 2 zone thermostat. Don't know if the Nest can handle that.

The good news is that you don’t need Wi-Fi to use the Nest. You end up losing some of the functionality, (setting “away” and “new temp” via an OS device or from a web page). The other problem is it needs power all the time. I would like someone to take a shot at this. I suspect that someone who is full timing and has a strong Wi-Fi signal could pull it off.

porthole

Retired
If it could operate a heat strip in addition to heat and AC, i would give it a go, since our trailer now has "full time" WiFi.

jbeletti

The Nest Learning Thermostat works with low voltage systems within a range of 20 - 30V AC. Each wire that the Nest Thermostat uses to draw power (C, Y1, and/or W1, depending on the system) must comply with these voltage requirements.

That's from Nest's website. If it could be interfaced with the air conditioners and furnace, you'd still need to figure out powering - especially if you wanted to control the furnace at times when you have no AC power from shore or gen.

You could use a very small inverter to invert battery power to 110 VAC, then reduce that to 24 VAC. Sounds like a lot of work. Certainly a challenge. I hope someone's up for the challenge as I'd love to have this in my RV :)

On edit:
Here's a start on the PSU... A 12 VDC to 24 VAC inverter ($100) - link

Looks like this is the solution you are looking for. I will be reproducing this in my Cyclone HD.

1629400832272.png

had to screenshot the address because the forum appears to be blocking the link, sayings its unavailable. If you cant find it, search youtube for
"Installing a Nest Learning Thermostat or other similar thermostats in RV"