Never Fail Bushings

mobilcastle

Those of you who have changed to these bushings, did you change the bolts also? I am getting ready to change mine out.
Thanks
Steve

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Those of you who have changed to these bushings, did you change the bolts also? I am getting ready to change mine out.
Thanks
Steve

I don't have any experience with use of the no fail bushing but I would use new bolts. A smooth surface inside those bushings will go a long way to increase the life of the bolt and the bushing. Maybe even stainless steel?

lwmcguir

I don't have any experience with use of the no fail bushing but I would use new bolts. A smooth surface inside those bushings will go a long way to increase the life of the bolt and the bushing. Maybe even stainless steel?
SS is to soft. As the posters say always change the bolts and do it correctly. The bolts will wear out over time.

brianharrison

I reused the original bolts. We mic'ed them and cleaned them up.

Brian

EDIT - here is a pic of the knurled hardware used when I re-did my suspension. The left shackle bolt is "as-found" condition when it was removed (I did replace this one). Centre is a new bolt. The right one is after we cleaned it up.

Attachments

• Knurled hardware.jpg
    Knurled hardware.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

lwmcguir

I reused the original bolts. We mic'ed them and cleaned them up.

Brian
If the bolts still have the original diameter and the serrations are good so the bolt wont turn in the shackle then there is nothing wrong with this. I have only removed a couple over the years that were OK to use. Usually we replace them on the OEM stuff with the lube type bolts.

MTPockets

Ours was only one year old when we installed Neverfail bushings.... Nylon bushings and bolts both showed no wear so we used same bolts..... It all depends on old bolt appearance.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for the info-bolts are cheap and I am going to change them out.

I have the 14 Never-Fail bushings I bought last year, but got cold feet when I couldn't get the first bolt out. Even did chin ups on the nut. What are the specs on the replacement bolts and where are you getting them? Might be good to have a new set if I have to gorilla the old ones off.

mobilcastle

I have the 14 Never-Fail bushings I bought last year, but got cold feet when I couldn't get the first bolt out. Even did chin ups on the nut. What are the specs on the replacement bolts and where are you getting them? Might be good to have a new set if I have to gorilla the old ones off.
When I did a set of wet bolts on another 5ver I owned a while back I used my impact driver. If you have acces to one of those it goes very well. Good luck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I did a set of wet bolts on another 5ver I owned a while back I used my impact driver. If you have acces to one of those it goes very well. Good luck.

Thanks. Looks like another tool purchase is on the horizon. My 18V Bosch Impact Driver wasn't up to the task.

Maybe the 24V 1/2" drive impact wrench I just ordered will.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Thanks. Looks like another tool purchase is on the horizon. My 18V Bosch Impact Driver wasn't up to the task.

Maybe the 24V 1/2" drive impact wrench I just ordered will.
A 24 inch or so breaker bar will usually star them so you can use a cordless impact. I rarely reuse them due to the lock nuts possibly backing off or the serrations not holding in the new shackle. Never have reused a bolt or nut on a critical axle. You don't want to over tighten them when installing either.

rick_debbie_gallant

This summer replaced bushings with forever bushings, new bolts and the correct track system. Correct track seems to have leveled out trailer with trick. Tows great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Stepn

I put in a wet bolt kit I purchased from Mor Ryde on my last trailer. It included bolts/nuts, shackles and bushings. Pretty straight forward, getting the trailer supported to do the work was a process. I did raise and complete the installation on just one side of the trailer at a time, worked great.