New Elkridge Owner Here - Hot Water Heater issue

Ryno0660

Hi All, im a new owner of a 2016 Elkridge 37 ULTA. I love it. Came from a travel trailer and now in a 5th wheel. am having 1 issue though. When i first took it out 2 weekends ago, we didn't have hot water, had luke warm water. But a guy gave me advice that the valve on the "H" pipe on back of water heater might be open causing a mix of hot and cold water when open hot valves. sure enough that was it. now can have hot or cold. But My water heater wont ignite when on 120V. but when i hit the 12v it fires up hot water. Also anyone else having issues with the spring on the main door, and the screws holding it to the door about to fall out.

Heard a lot of good about this website about getting tips and pointers. I have been poking around seeing some good modifications.

danemayer

Hi Ryno0660,

Congratulations on the new Elkridge and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. And of course this is also your gateway to rally information. Consider joining the Owners Club and having a great time at a nearby rally. You can check out upcoming rallies and other get-togethers by clicking on the EVENTS tab at top of the page.

As for your water heater, if the water doesn't get hot when running on electric (120V AC), it may be that you have a Suburban water heater. They have a secondary switch on the outside to protect the element when a trailer is on the dealer lot or at an RV show. This secondary switch will keep the heating element from being burned out if a visitor flips the switch inside the coach. Of course, after you take delivery, you can just leave the secondary switch ON all the time. This black rocker switch is on the outside of the water heater, in the lower left corner.

Page 4 of our owner-written Water Heater Usage Guide has pictures that'll guide you to the switch. There may be a cotterpin keeping it in the OFF position.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Hi All, im a new owner of a 2016 Elkridge 37 ULTA. I love it. Came from a travel trailer and now in a 5th wheel. am having 1 issue though. When i first took it out 2 weekends ago, we didn't have hot water, had luke warm water. But a guy gave me advice that the valve on the "H" pipe on back of water heater might be open causing a mix of hot and cold water when open hot valves. sure enough that was it. now can have hot or cold. But My water heater wont ignite when on 120V. but when i hit the 12v it fires up hot water. Also anyone else having issues with the spring on the main door, and the screws holding it to the door about to fall out.

Heard a lot of good about this website about getting tips and pointers. I have been poking around seeing some good modifications.

When you say it won't ignite on 120v, if you are expecting the igniter to come on and start the LP burner, that won't happen. When you are on 120v, only the electric element comes on. The only thing you will notice is hot water.

Ryno0660

Thanks for the info gasman. I have hot water. Most units still ignited or made some noise indicating it was working. I'm back in action. Thanks for all the help.