NEw HEartland owner -saying HELLO- and have some questions.

First... a BIG HELLO form Texas.

I am placing this post in the general section because I am dealing with multiple issues I need help with. Not just one specific.

My new RV is a 2014 torque 270, with the Heartland's patented hidden garage.
I am so glad that I found this floor plan- it is almost exactly what we have been looking for.
Not to big, not small, but has plenty storage and room for toys and for two adults.
Our toys are dirt bike, ATV, bicycles, kayaks and will try a golf cart. Not all at once of course.
Our Previous toy hauler was a Jayco bumper pull, and this is our first 5th wheel.

SOme questions and issues. :
Our bumper pull (with weight distribution) was very well balanced, pulled straight and smooth with no sway issues ever.
This 5th wheel has a lot of chugging- jerking back and forth up and down. The tow vehicle is a 2015 chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4 diesel - short bed - with 20K pounds rated Curt R5/Q5 sliding hitch. Have not need to deploy the slider yet, the 5-er turn fine in the hitch forward position.
How do I get rid of the jerkiness without spending a fortune on air pinbox?

camper - slide operation: - in the the floor (front of the couch) dining table leg supports are mounted. When the slide moves in and out it puts deep gouges into the aluminun table leg holders (2) and makes a nasty sound. The floor does not seem to scratch- yet.
Anything I need to know about slide operation? or something I am doing wrong?

filling the camper with water: 100 gallong holding tank with anderson 4 way valve.
May Jayco had a free watertank fill port ( not valved) and when the tank was full water was pouring out of the over flow.
In my torque 270 , I had no idea when to stop filling the 100 gallon tank other than runnin around the RV up 6 stairs and checking the electronic gauge which is often inaccurate. I was hoping an over flow will prsent a notice and simply shut off the water.
I think I over filled the darn thing and water was pouring out from the belly pan.
Have i damaged something? Can I route the over flow out with a hose to a visible location? Where is the water tank located?

Automatic fridge. Norcold - This one does not have an external adjustment it just say automatic. The freezer gets super cold and the fridge not cold enough, is there a manual adjustment anywhere to set the fridge cooler?

undercarriage rust.
This RV likely was transported on some slated snowy road. There is lots of rust on the under carriage and spare tire carrier and bottom frame section. Even the spare tire shows some rust.
What product or procedure should should I employ to stop the spreading of rust?

NOTE to Heartland about this RV.

- water connector hook up - right above the 115V 30 amp electrical connector, any water leak flow right on to the electrical cord. This is a bad design.
- grey and black water discharge levers. They are not marked at all which lever does what. easy to figure out , but would have been nice to slap a sticker : BLACK - GREY.
-water heater: all web info states this RV should have a an 18 gallon water heater , mine on has 6 gallon , was this an option or misprint.
- axles listed as (2) 7000 pounds, mine is 6000 pounds rated- I crawled under and read the label. Did I get the wrong axle?
-please put a 12V output socket (standard auto motive cigarette lighter style) in the living area- people want to charge their cell phones of the 12V battery. Installing one is not a big deal.
- bathroom fan switch is way up high on the ceiling, kids can't reach that ever. switch should have been on the wall.

Thank you
Charley

GWRam

I am placing this post in the general section because I am dealing with multiple issues I need help with. Not just one specific.

I am so glad that I found this floor plan- it is almost exactly what we have been looking for.
Not to big, not small, but has plenty storage and room for toys and for two adults.
Our toys are dirt bike, ATV, bicycles, kayaks and will try a golf cart. Not all at once of course.
Our Previous toy hauler was a Jayco bumper pull, and this is our first 5th wheel.

SOme questions and issues. :
Our bumper pull (with weight distribution) was very well balanced, pulled straight and smooth with no sway issues ever.
This 5th wheel has a lot of chugging- jerking back and forth up and down. The tow vehicle is a 2015 chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4 diesel - short bed - with 20K pounds rated Curt R5/Q5 sliding hitch. Have not need to deploy the slider yet, the 5-er turn fine in the hitch forward position.
How do I get rid of the jerkiness without spending a fortune on air pinbox?

Thank you
Charley

Charley,
I don't have a toy hauler , but a 5th wheel needs to be properly balanced to improve towing smoothness. We noticed this big time when we had to empty the forward portion of the unit of all personal items before taking it to the factory for work. Big difference in the towing. Usually nice and smooth and with a lite pin weight quite jerky.

- - - Updated - - -

filling the camper with water: 100 gallong holding tank with anderson 4 way valve.
May Jayco had a free watertank fill port ( not valved) and when the tank was full water was pouring out of the over flow.
In my torque 270 , I had no idea when to stop filling the 100 gallon tank other than runnin around the RV up 6 stairs and checking the electronic gauge which is often inaccurate. I was hoping an over flow will prsent a notice and simply shut off the water.
I think I over filled the darn thing and water was pouring out from the belly pan.
Have i damaged something? Can I route the over flow out with a hose to a visible location? Where is the water tank located?

Thank you
Charley

Charley,
Call heartland with your VIN number and ask where your overflow vents are. They come out under the entry door stairs and below udc, on our model.
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
To stop the chucking you will need to install a different pin box. A Mor/Ryde pin box is a good choice. Look under a kitchen cabinet bottom, you might find a 12V cigar liter charging port. There might be one in the bedroom also.

GWRam

Charley,

I was thinking about your questions and passed over your opening sentence.

Welcome to the Owners forum. You will find a lot of friendly and helpful people on here.
Consider clicking on the Owners Club tab on the top and joining the Owners club. Rallies all around the country.
Also in the big yellow box near the top of the forum page you will find links to owners manuals to many of the systems on your unit.

Welcome, Charley,

Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Charley

Welcome to the forum, from another Texan! You have quite a list if questions, hopefully some folks can chime in and help with many of them.

As GWRam mentioned, Welcome and consider joining the Club and coming to a Rally. There are now 3 chapters in Texas, one in LA and one in OK, with numerous Rallies. Some are just around the corner.

if you click here, and look to the right there is a column of events, listing all the rallies upcoming. Look for those you might be able to attend. I know your rig would be one we'd all like to admire! It is quite unique. All the Texans are a fun-loving bunch that like to Rally, and we consider all who attend our extended family. I hope you can come to one.

danemayer

Hi Charley,

I agree with the previous comment, a light front end can contribute to a jerky tow experience. Redistributing what you have on board, as much as possible, may help. As previously suggested, a pin box change will no doubt also help.

Your slide mechanism may need to be adjusted by your dealer.

When filling the fresh tank through the Anderson 4-way Valve, there are overflow lines that should be routed to the outside of the frame and terminate in a 90 degree PEX fitting. If water is coming out of those fittings, the tank is full. I have heard of a case where the factory left the overflow inside the frame and water came out the underbelly. Take a close look along the outside of the frame on both sides. On the doorside, sometimes the overflow comes out near the main entry steps. You can monitor how much water goes into the tanks by using an inexpensive water meter like this one from Amazon. I don't know if they're 100% accurate, but they're going to be a lot more accurate than the control panel lights inside.

You should be able to find out about your Norcold controls by looking at the manual that's in the blue pouch of manuals that came with your trailer. If you can't find it, we probably have softcopy in the manuals section of the forum. Here's a link. You can also get there from the TOOLS tab at top of page.

On your notes to the factory, you may want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can fill you in on water heater capacity and axle rating. I'm not aware of any RV water heater with an actual 18 gallon capacity, but Atwood makes one with a 6 gallon tank that claims an 18 gallon/hour recovery. That may be what you have. Here's a link.

Some updates...
water heater is a 6 gallon, yes it makes 18 gallon/hour, so some hearland dealer print it (by mistake) as 18 gallon water heater.

towing.
Pin weight for this 30 foot RV is a staggering 2700 pounds, GVCW is 13,000 pounds. so light pin is not an issue, actually it is the opposite, I am at the limit of my 3/4 ton diesel truck's payload limit.

Capt7383

as far as the rust is concerned I have the same concern issue with my undercarriage I was told to look into a product called fluid film I bought some and looks like according to everything I've seen on the internet it's the hot setup for stopping rust

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Cabindoc

I plow in the NE and have been using Fluid Film for 3 years. It is as good as they say. I plan on doing my Torque before winter sets in.

I've pulled the belly pan off my "new" RV. WOW... Note to Bob at Hartland assembly line: if you missing some tools, I have them- you left them on top of the belly pan along with a bunch of garbage pieces of cut off like wires and hoses. :)
All I can say lots of work needs to be done before i can put the belly pan back up. :(
Example: 2 pieces of 1/2" soft water line should not pass through a 3/4 inch frame hole, specially if it needs to make a sharp 90 degree turn. Yes the hose will kink and air or water flow will seize. I think these are bypass or vent hoses for fresh water.
115 Volt 10 gauge wire should not rest on a exposed piece thin sheet metal- This is an RV -rolling down the road, not a stationary object- so things will move and rub. Should be secured or isolated.
Found the freshwater overflows- they are on both side of the trailer frame and yes they come through the frame rail but they empty right into "skirts then flow to the belly pan- solution add 1 foot long extension tube and route it out where the low water drain port is. - done.
There is a a piece of 2 strain wire (looks like 12V) just hanging just front of the fuel cell. not connected to anything- exposed- ends cut clear.- have not checked if it is "live/hot"
2x 50 gallon freshwater tank - large hose connecting the 2 tanks sharp- has a kink- I bet it is blocked. - need to be rerouted to a larger radius -- to undo the kink.
Last but not least there is a solid 0.22amp draw with all electronics turned off- so it kills the battery to stone dead- in about 1 week.
Want to see some pictures?

PS: my 2015 3/4 ton diesel Chevy SRW is not enough to safely handle this 30' toyhauler :( truck's max payload is 2650 lb - states on the door sticker. I think passengers are payload as well, as well as a nearly 300 pound 5th wheel hitch.
PS2 : fresh water tank is located in front of the axle. When filled with 100 gallons of water it will make the pin even heavier.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Sounds like typical find in the belly. All manufactures do about the same way.

The .2 amp draw is about normal. Your Carbon Monoxide det and propane detector will draw a small amount and usually about a week is all you get from a battery.

Jim M