New Landmark Newport

ClintMo

The fiance and I decided we were tired of living in the 2000 26ft single slide I have been using for work. She graduated in December and is now traveling with me full time for my job. We had been looking for a while and finally decided on a 2015 Landmark Newport. We found it in Ft Worth on our way back from Wyoming. We looked at it and got prices. I ended up doing a lot more research/shopping around and finally decided to go through with it. After a week of getting denied by lenders (good credit, no history) we finally got approved and we picked it up February 5th and have been living in it down in Three Rivers, Tx since then.

The thing pulls like a dream...very smooth. I was worried it would pull heavy and jerk with it being so tall and long. I also went ahead and spent a little extra to get the Reese Titan, so that along with the Mor Ryde hitch made for a very smooth pull from Ft Worth to Three Rivers. The layout in it is absolutely amazing. Everything is so much nicer than what I have been in. We absolutely love it! We were originally set on a Big Country or Big Horn, but as soon as we stepped foot in this one we knew we wanted it. All the extra accents and cabinet space makes it so much nicer to live in. Its our home so we decided to go ahead and spend the money and get what we wanted.

So far everything is going smooth and we haven't had any problems. Since we started living it in we have found some cosmetic things that we missed at the dealer, but nothing too bad. I also have noticed that the AC vents and the heater vents don't blow very evenly so I will be looking into partially blocking some vents to push air to both ends of the trailer a little better. Any advice or comments are welcome. I have been living in the old one for about a year or so, so I know most of the basics. After I get my first two post approved I will post some pictures of it!

danemayer

Hi ClintMo,

Congratulations on the Landmark and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There's also a pretty good search function on forum, and you can also browse sub-forums for information.

Check out the Owners Club. We have quite a few Spring rallies coming up. Perhaps you can join in one or two. The entire list can be found by pressing the EVENTS button at top of page.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
ClintMo,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. That Newport is a beautiful rig! Enjoy it and maybe we'll see you down the road. Trace

jimtoo

Hi ClintMo,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family.

We are neighbors almost... we live in George West.

Enjoy the forum and your new Heartland.

Jim M

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Welcome to the Heartland family ClintMo. Great group of people and a wealth of information and help.

We also picked up our new 2015 Newport on Feb. 5th. Still getting use to it, but we love the layout. This is our third Landmark. To say we are Happy Campers is and understatement. As with all new campers we have some minor issues to get corrected (and one major one) but I've always found Heartland Customer Service to be top notch and willing to do what it takes to make things right.

Enjoy your new rig. We sure are.

ClintMo

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424091907.081915.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424091936.135436.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424091964.237321.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424092050.450689.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424092071.981745.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424092091.784292.jpg

Here are some pictures of it, the hitch, and it next to the old one when we were moving everything over. Big improvement over the old one!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The fiance and I decided we were tired of living in the 2000 26ft single slide I have been using for work. She graduated in December and is now traveling with me full time for my job. We had been looking for a while and finally decided on a 2015 Landmark Newport. We found it in Ft Worth on our way back from Wyoming. We looked at it and got prices. I ended up doing a lot more research/shopping around and finally decided to go through with it. After a week of getting denied by lenders (good credit, no history) we finally got approved and we picked it up February 5th and have been living in it down in Three Rivers, Tx since then.

The thing pulls like a dream...very smooth. I was worried it would pull heavy and jerk with it being so tall and long. I also went ahead and spent a little extra to get the Reese Titan, so that along with the Mor Ryde hitch made for a very smooth pull from Ft Worth to Three Rivers. The layout in it is absolutely amazing. Everything is so much nicer than what I have been in. We absolutely love it! We were originally set on a Big Country or Big Horn, but as soon as we stepped foot in this one we knew we wanted it. All the extra accents and cabinet space makes it so much nicer to live in. Its our home so we decided to go ahead and spend the money and get what we wanted.

So far everything is going smooth and we haven't had any problems. Since we started living it in we have found some cosmetic things that we missed at the dealer, but nothing too bad. I also have noticed that the AC vents and the heater vents don't blow very evenly so I will be looking into partially blocking some vents to push air to both ends of the trailer a little better. Any advice or comments are welcome. I have been living in the old one for about a year or so, so I know most of the basics. After I get my first two post approved I will post some pictures of it!

On both ends of the vents (the front and the rear) the cooled air (air conditioning only) duct and the return air duct continue past the last vent opening to the cap. On ours it was 38 inches on the rear and 37 in the front. What we did is build a "dam" out of cardboard wrapped in foil tape and placed it in the duct to terminate it just past the vent so there was not all of the dead air space. We did this only in the duct that the air comes out of. The return air duct we left as is because we did not want to 'blow out' the duct by increasing the pressure. Don't know if that would happen but didn't want to take a chance. This modification did increase the air flow. Also keep in mind the living room and bedroom air conditioners blow air in competing directions so the airflow meets somewhere in the middle of the duct. (The living room AC blows air toward the bedroom and the bedroom AC blows air toward the living room) I'm not an AC man but it seems to me this causes less air flow. You can prove this by running just one or the other AC unit and feeling the airflow and you will find airflow coming out of the vents the whole length of the duct. I know some have blocked the duct around the bathroom to keep this from happening. We have not done this year. Just seems to me that the engineers who designed this system would have thought about that. Maybe the factory could comment about this. I do not know the air flow is in the 3 AC units work.

Keep in mind the floor vents are for the furnace so be careful not to place rugs over the vents when the furnace is running. Some have bought vent covers to regulate the amount of heat coming from the vent but we have not as by covering a vent you could cause the furnace to overheat and cause a thermal shutdown. We use electric space heaters to supplement the furnace but keep in mind the furnace is what heats the underbelly so in sub-freezing temps you need to run the furnace. If you have some heating vents with little or no flow you might need to check to see they are not disconnected in the underbelly. Check this by removing the inspection wall in the basement and checking the furnace duct work.

ClintMo

On both ends of the vents (the front and the rear) the cooled air (air conditioning only) duct and the return air duct continue past the last vent opening to the cap. On ours it was 38 inches on the rear and 37 in the front. What we did is build a "dam" out of cardboard wrapped in foil tape and placed it in the duct to terminate it just past the vent so there was not all of the dead air space. We did this only in the duct that the air comes out of. The return air duct we left as is because we did not want to 'blow out' the duct by increasing the pressure. Don't know if that would happen but didn't want to take a chance. This modification did increase the air flow. Also keep in mind the living room and bedroom air conditioners blow air in competing directions so the airflow meets somewhere in the middle of the duct. (The living room AC blows air toward the bedroom and the bedroom AC blows air toward the living room) I'm not an AC man but it seems to me this causes less air flow. You can prove this by running just one or the other AC unit and feeling the airflow and you will find airflow coming out of the vents the whole length of the duct. I know some have blocked the duct around the bathroom to keep this from happening. We have not done this year. Just seems to me that the engineers who designed this system would have thought about that. Maybe the factory could comment about this. I do not know the air flow is in the 3 AC units work.

Keep in mind the floor vents are for the furnace so be careful not to place rugs over the vents when the furnace is running. Some have bought vent covers to regulate the amount of heat coming from the vent but we have not as by covering a vent you could cause the furnace to overheat and cause a thermal shutdown. We use electric space heaters to supplement the furnace but keep in mind the furnace is what heats the underbelly so in sub-freezing temps you need to run the furnace. If you have some heating vents with little or no flow you might need to check to see they are not disconnected in the underbelly. Check this by removing the inspection wall in the basement and checking the furnace duct work.

Thanks for the info! I had read that somewhere about the ac ducts and was gonna check it out. Seems like a poor design. I will check that and the furnace duct work when I get a chance.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I tried adding a few photos, but I don't know what I'm doing and it would only let me click on one photo at a time. Sorry

ClintMo

I don't have any inside pictures but I do have the floor plan.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424188287.241331.jpg
Also found more of the outside. I love the way it looks lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424188330.656781.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424188355.328340.jpg
I will try to get some of the inside after work. It's still a little messy from moving into it. The fiancé has too many clothes!

mmomega

AnyTimer
I have a video of the inside of your coach, I know that sounds funny. I walked through and video'd it on Jan 31st.:p That's the same dealership we got our Key Largo from and I just stopped by one day and saw the Newport, guess there's no reason to go back to look at it again.

Congrats.

ClintMo

Only complaints so far...

Heater duct on rear vent was not hooked up underneath the trailer. It was hooked up at the vent but a split in the duct was left unhooked. I had to drop the underside to hook it up. I'm sure I wasted a lot of propane heating the framework. Poor quality control on something so expensive if you asked me. I would of been livid if I wasn't able to do it myself and had to take it to a dealer. (I live in mine full time for work)

Water heater whistles some times. I've read it has to do with a pop off valve but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. At times it is seriously loud.

Several of the pull down shades are missing their end caps. Again quality control issue. Probably doesn't hurt anything but doesn't look good when they are pulled down, and the ends could scratch the trim around the window. I'm going to contact heartland about getting some sent to me.

TV gets fuzzy when the heater kicks on. Going to look into some shielded coax, and make sure the current is not laying on the blower motor or wiring.

Other than that all is well so far. Having to fix the duct in the cold rain was quite frustrating though with the price of this unit. I know nothing is perfect and all brands have problems but I spent money for one of the best.

ClintMo

I have a video of the inside of your coach, I know that sounds funny. I walked through and video'd it on Jan 31st.:p That's the same dealership we got our Key Largo from and I just stopped by one day and saw the Newport, guess there's no reason to go back to look at it again.

Congrats.

Very nice! We probably looked at y'all's camper too when we were there!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Only complaints so far...

Heater duct on rear vent was not hooked up underneath the trailer. It was hooked up at the vent but a split in the duct was left unhooked. I had to drop the underside to hook it up. I'm sure I wasted a lot of propane heating the framework. Poor quality control on something so expensive if you asked me. I would of been livid if I wasn't able to do it myself and had to take it to a dealer. (I live in mine full time for work)

Water heater whistles some times. I've read it has to do with a pop off valve but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. At times it is seriously loud.

Several of the pull down shades are missing their end caps. Again quality control issue. Probably doesn't hurt anything but doesn't look good when they are pulled down, and the ends could scratch the trim around the window. I'm going to contact heartland about getting some sent to me.

TV gets fuzzy when the heater kicks on. Going to look into some shielded coax, and make sure the current is not laying on the blower motor or wiring.

Other than that all is well so far. Having to fix the duct in the cold rain was quite frustrating though with the price of this unit. I know nothing is perfect and all brands have problems but I spent money for one of the best.

There should be a duct that goes into the underbelly to heat your tanks/valves/water lines. Are you speaking of a different duct that was not attached properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClintMo

There should be a duct that goes into the underbelly to heat your tanks/valves/water lines. Are you speaking of a different duct that was not attached properly?

Yes. The duct going to the heat vent at the very rear of the trailer was not hooked up. It was hooked to the vent, but the joint underneath was not hooked up.

One piece of duct work would not reach the back so they had to use two. Where the two meet is where it was not hooked together.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes. The duct going to the heat vent at the very rear of the trailer was not hooked up. It was hooked to the vent, but the joint underneath was not hooked up.

One piece of duct work would not reach the back so they had to use two. Where the two meet is where it was not hooked together.

Ok, thanks for clarifying! Glad you were able to fix yourself.

ClintMo

Finally checked the AC duct work at both ends of the camper. Three of them were blocked off, but were not sealed and had gaps at the top and bottom. The Fourth had a decent sized hole in it letting air by. You could feel the ceiling and it was cold past the hole vs cool everywhere else. I had noticed the third AC was running a lot longer than the other two. I'm going to get some can foam today and close it off right after the vent on all 4 passages. I will get pictures before I seal them off and post them later so everyone knows what to look to fix in their brand new camper.

We were cooking outside yesterday and I also noticed that the led light strip was starting to come off in a few places. It didn't even make it three months.