New Member: Pop-Up camper since 2000, Researching under 40' Toy Hauler for past 2 months

JFogleman

Re: New Memeber: Pop-Up camper since 2000, Researching under 40' Toy Hauler for past 2 months

We we have the 3750PT that has the patio on the side and the queen bed in the back. The bed works great because it is bigger than a bunk for our older son, but we still have one bunk for our younger son. The patio makes a great place for the dog to go outside without having to tie her up to something. The other big benefit to the side patio, is the sliding glass door. We looked at a lot of RVs that had limited viewing out of the door side. The sliding glass makes for a really nice viewing area.
If I was doing it over, I would definitely order this one again, I would just make sure it had the auto-leveling on it.

Thanks for the follow up. I have to say this site with all you Heartland owners that are soooo helpful with your responses is very impressive. My wife and I feel we have narrowed down our future purchase to Heartland products and this is a huge and comfortable step.

I definitely would like the all 6 hydraulic auto-level. I hope this is an option for this 3750 PT. As a avid camper for 15 years setting up a pop-up I really, really look forward to pushing a couple buttons to level.

I do have a concern about all the slide-outs on this unit and others. Has anyone had any electrical overload problems, hydraulic leaks, water leaks? Are these multiple slides (5 for the 3750 PT) costly to maintain in your time or extra charges to do seal regular maintenance at a dealer per the multiple slides?

Treyz71

New Member: Pop-Up camper since 2000, Researching under 40' Toy Hauler for pa...

I've had two issues. The first was that the large bundle of wires that moves out with the slide got caught behind a bracket and grounded out the running lights on my coach. The technician rerouted them and then the wire support broke. He has rerouted them again, so we'll see...

The second was an overload of the circuit when extending or retracting, which caused the circuit breaker to trip. The dealer fixed this by upgrading that breaker, as it was undersized from the factory. There is a lot of information about this condition on this forum.

No leaking or other issues thus far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Re: New Member: Pop-Up camper since 2000, Researching under 40' Toy Hauler for pa...

Regarding you SWR on the truck. So long as you are comfortable with a long trailer with side wind gusts it is not a problem. I chose DWR for that reason. If most of your trips are not across the country, SWR is the way I would have gone. But we want to travel a lot and have experienced 50 mph winds with 70 mph gust in a class C. 35mph was our maximum speed until we made it to the only turn off with a gas station and shelter from the wind. This was from Cabela's in Wyoming going north to West Yellowstone, Montana in September 2011. I was told the wind speed by full timers that pulled in four hours later. They were lucky. When the wind started they were much farther south and were able to park their BIG 41' Class A rig until the wind slowed down. He had a full weather station installed. We also have I-Phones instead of the flip phones that we had then. Weather Underground and the Weather Channel are great apps. I don't want to worry you. Just need to be cautious with side wind.

JFogleman

Re: New Member: Pop-Up camper since 2000, Researching under 40' Toy Hauler for pa...

Well, we bought our Dodge 3500 diesel 4/27. We have secured a covered storage location for the fall and I think we are going for a RW 355. Thanks Trey and Shari for the follow-up. I am going to look for the wire bundle when we go back again and ask where the breakers for the slides are too.
WP_20160409_001.jpgWP_20160419_002.jpg
Above is one of 3 RW355's we have looked at and our truck passing our 2013 Pilot(trade-in) that pulled our pop-up.

Please let us know any other things to look for. We hope to close a deal this summer.

Thanks again....John and Cherl

Attachments

• WP_20160414_002.jpg
    WP_20160414_002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 21

Treyz71

Congratulations on your new truck and best of luck on finding the perfect RW 355! We have begun using ours this season with a trip to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach and a quick weekend in Gordonsville, VA. Hope to see you out there!

Last edited:

JFogleman

Congratulations on your new truck and best of luck on finding the perfect RW 355! We have begun using ours this season with a trip to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach and a quick weekend in Gorduonsville, VA. Hope to see you out there!

I see you are in Va. We have been going to the RV Outlet USA in Ringgold, Va. They have a huge selection and we will probably end up buying from them. Did you buy or visit them and if so how was your experience?

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator: