New Owner Training Programs??

weekender01

This is just an observation/question so if this has been discussed before I apologize, but could not find it in the forum covering this topic exactly.

It seems with the number of new RV owners that are joining the camping boom there would be a need for more in depth “training” or “instruction” on RV ownership and how things work. While I know that most good dealers do PDI’s/Walkthroughs with customers I would say the majority of people that are new owners come away with just enough knowledge to be dangerous on what to do with their new purchase once they pull off the lot. Some have never towed before, some are upgrading to say a Fifth wheel or Class A where systems may be different and I myself have learned to be self-taught on many aspects of owning an RV. Thank goodness for this forum and for You Tube or I would have not been able to fix, repair, and operate some of the items in our Torque 321. I still struggle backing a 5[SUP]th[/SUP]wheel vs. my old travel trailer.

With that said is there a need in the market for a company to provide new RV owner training for those interested in learning more about RV ownership, towing, backing, system operations, general repair (not talking full blown service), annual maintenance checks, winterization, black flush systems, water heater operations, etc.? Would people be willing to spend a day or two attending training like this? Would they be willing to pay a reasonable (that is subjective) price for training?

I would be interested in your thoughts on this and I appreciate any and all responses.

Garypowell

I recall 20 years ago when I got my first RV (42' Travel Supreme) there were a few seminars that I could have attended....but they seem to have disappeared with the rise of the internet and you tube.

We started cold turkey but back then I went to RV parks before we bought and simply stopped people and talked to them.

I think now a majority of folks move up the RV food chain and learn as the go.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The rally's are a great place to learn a lot about your rig from others.
I enjoy helping others learn more and understand how some of there RV systems work. And learning more myself from others.
One of the things I've found is people not properly using and utilizing all of the fetchers of the Level-up system.
Man I love my Level-up !!!!

Those of you out there that attend west rally's with us please feel free to ask me anything you'd like to know more about or how it works or should work. I'm not and expert by any means but I've been all over my rig and this forum and have learned so much over the last few years.

Fun topic for me 😎
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

weekender01

Thank you for all the responses to this inquiry. I was asking the question to see if there was a need for this in the market. For me I have learned from owner forums, You Tube and from fellow campers and the Heartland forum has been a wealth of knowledge. It appears most new campers would not be interested in paying for training.

Thanks.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank you for all the responses to this inquiry. I was asking the question to see if there was a need for this in the market. For me I have learned from owner forums, You Tube and from fellow campers and the Heartland forum has been a wealth of knowledge. It appears most new campers would not be interested in paying for training.

Thanks.

There might be a market with dealers, to be able to offer classes to prospective owners before they complete their purchase? Just an idea.

I know at the Dallas and/or Ft. Worth RV shows they have seminars on various topics, like "how to pick the best RV for you" and "everything you wanted to know about your propane system" and similar. They are free to the attendees at the RV show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weekender01

I had forgotten about this, but the Escapees Magazine arrived today. Escapees has a "Boot Camp" that does exactly what you're asking about. And they've just started an RVersUniversityonline.com.

Thanks

There might be a market with dealers, to be able to offer classes to prospective owners before they complete their purchase? Just an idea.

I know at the Dallas and/or Ft. Worth RV shows they have seminars on various topics, like "how to pick the best RV for you" and "everything you wanted to know about your propane system" and similar. They are free to the attendees at the RV show.

Thanks

RottsNScotts

I have been fumbling along with help from fellow campers and this forum for about 18 months and would STILL lay skid marks getting to a training location! There is SO much I am still not comfortable with!