New Sundance owner

PStorm7

Hi all,

My partner and I have just purchased a new to us 2009 Heartland Sundance. We haven't even gotten it home yet since we didn't have a truck to pull it. The former owner is going to deliver the RV this week and we are beyond excited (and a little terrified). I have only used a pop-up before but have hauled a 16' trailer. I have not hauled a 5th wheel so everything is pretty new. I have done a lot of research but know I will have lots of questions and look forward to reading posts and learning as much as I can.

Pat

jimtoo

Hi PStorm7,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. If you have any questions we have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

sengli

I think in general the fifth wheels tow a lot easier that the bumper pull rigs. Wind has never bothered me. Still the size should concern you. I went to an empty parking lot when I first got my fiver. And practiced trying to back into a specific site. It is a learning curve. Be especially careful as the trailer wheels will cut inside your arch as you turn, so wide turns are you friend.

A set of walkie talkies and your wifes eyes are a great way to safely back your new rig.

PStorm7

Thank you so much for the advice. I see a large parking lot in my future! Sounds like a great way to practice. I have wondered about a back-up camera. Any thoughts?

Pat

I think in general the fifth wheels tow a lot easier that the bumper pull rigs. Wind has never bothered me. Still the size should concern you. I went to an empty parking lot when I first got my fiver. And practiced trying to back into a specific site. It is a learning curve. Be especially careful as the trailer wheels will cut inside your arch as you turn, so wide turns are you friend.

A set of walkie talkies and your wifes eyes are a great way to safely back your new rig.

loganhughes

Hello, PStorm7,

We were in the same situation as you 6 years ago when we bought our 2009 Sundance. We bought our Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab 3 months later. I had experience towing a 27 foot bumper pull. The 5th wheel is much easier to tow and back. If you get a short bed truck, be sure to get a sliding hitch so you do bot jack knife your 5er nose into the cab. Also, lots of practice is a great recommendation. You can do walkie-talkies or my wife and I just use our cell phones.

FYI...you will love the Heartland forum Everyone is so helpful and you will likely have many questions.

CoveredWagon

Thank you so much for the advice. I see a large parking lot in my future! Sounds like a great way to practice. I have wondered about a back-up camera. Any thoughts?

Pat

we have the observation camera, not the backup camera. I seldom use it while backing, I normally use the wife with walkie talkies. Some folks use their cell phones, but I’ve heard that sometimes for some reason they don’t work. I really like the rear observation camera when on the road, lets you see who’s hiding back there (some idiots like to ride your rear end) also helps when passing.

PStorm7

Thanks for the feedback, Landon. I have found a F250 7.3L Diesel which I believe will do fine with the Sundance. I thought of using the cell phones also. One less thing to pack. I haven't picked the truck up yet, but will measure the bed as soon as I can. I think it is 6 1/2 ft. but am not absolutely sure. I am aware that short-beds require more caution turning and do plan to get plenty of practice.

Thanks again, I look forward to learning more on this forum.

Pat

Hello, PStorm7,

We were in the same situation as you 6 years ago when we bought our 2009 Sundance. We bought our Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab 3 months later. I had experience towing a 27 foot bumper pull. The 5th wheel is much easier to tow and back. If you get a short bed truck, be sure to get a sliding hitch so you do bot jack knife your 5er nose into the cab. Also, lots of practice is a great recommendation. You can do walkie-talkies or my wife and I just use our cell phones.

FYI...you will love the Heartland forum Everyone is so helpful and you will likely have many questions.

Jim Posz

We are on our second Sundance (2007,2014) and have towed both extensively with short bed trucks. We have not needed a slider hitch. We do have a Hensley TS3 air ride hitch which improves the ride of truck and trailer, but is not essential. Enjoy your rig.

PStorm7

Jim,

Thanks for the info. A Curt E16 hitch came with the camper, but not the plate that is attached to the truck. So I need to have that plate installed. I also need to research the hitch since I know how it works, but not much else.

We are on our second Sundance (2007,2014) and have towed both extensively with short bed trucks. We have not needed a slider hitch. We do have a Hensley TS3 air ride hitch which improves the ride of truck and trailer, but is not essential. Enjoy your rig.