New Tire Questions

stimpity1

Hi Everyone,

Once we get into the spring here in Michigan and I pull the RV out of storage, one of the first things I want to do is replace the factor "blow max" tires. We bought our unit lightly used this past fall. Only driving we did with it is the 20 miles from where we bought it to our house. Then it was cleaned and winterized. Previous owner had gotten the RV from his brother in upstate New York who kept is pretty stationary as he used it to stay in while working a contract job. Previous owner then towed it to Michigan from New York, and to the best of my knowledge, this is the only road mileage it's seen.

Been advised I can maybe get through this year with the current tires, but i'd rather not chance it with regards to an issue/blow-out.

Tires are ST205/75 R15 C. Two questions:

1. For the RV in my signature line, am I OK to stick with the load range C tire, or is it advisable to go up to a D? I know axle ratings drive capacity, but not sure impact from tire rating.
2. From what I have read on the boards, seem like a lot of folks go with Goodyear or Sailun tires for replacements. I'm leaning towards Goodyear ones based on some recommendations of people I know. Where is the best place you have found for tire price and installation capabilities? I've browsed Walmart, Sam's Club, Belle Tire, Discount Tire, etc.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

danemayer

From what I have read on the boards, seem like a lot of folks go with Goodyear or Sailun tires for replacements. I'm leaning towards Goodyear

The Goodyear/Sailun that you're reading about are 16" Load Range G and aren't available in 15". So you'd have to also upgrade wheels to move to them.

I'd suggest not using Goodyear Marathon. They have a terrible reputation and last I looked had more complaints on the NHTSA website than Towmax.

MP_CS

The Maxxis M8008 are probably one of the better of the lighter duty trailer tires. I believe there only available in 8 ply in you're size.. As was slready pointed out DONOT buy the goodyear marsthons..

pegmikef

Discount tire gives a 10 percent military discount if you are eligible and are located almost anywhere you go. Their prices are pretty competitive from what I have seen.

Ks.Kev

+2 on the Maxxis M8008 .......
I put them on my NorthTrail FBS 22 and have NO problems since
replacing my "blow max" tires!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You might consider Carlisle tires. Some models of their ST tires are speed rated for 85 MPH.
You might check a farm store to see if they carry these if they stores around you don't have the size you need. I bought mine from a farm store and then paid just a small fee $10 or so to have it mounted at the goodyear tire store. An auto dealer or Walmart Wal-Mart would mount the tires also.

I think the model I have is the Carlisle Radial trail. 225/75/R15 LRD.

'Lil Guy'

If getting new tires, why not opt for the D rated tires. Just a little more insurance and capacity.

Gary521

Go with the Maxxis. However, I would go with the 225/75/15. They are a much tougher tire than the 205. I use these on a car hauler that I have. No problems.

stimpity1

Thank you everyone for your advice, it is much appreciated. Looking at my local Discount Tire store, they have the Maxxis 8008 205/75/R15 D (they actually call them D1 range) tires in stock. I was likely going to go with a higher load range, regardless of brand. Someone mentioned going up to a wider tire (225). Would this be advantageous, would this even work with my trailer, and what would I need to measure to check?

Thanks for all the patience with the questions. First RV we've had, but not new to camping with RV's. Just new to mechanical details like this on a trailer.